Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.38 average. Display Modes
Old 05-11-2018, 09:22   #1

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: The New Joke Thread

Humor involves breaking an expectation without breaking logic.

An example is:

Q: What do you call a cross between a parrot and a tiger?
A: Whatever it tells you to call it.

Based on previous history with jokes like this the expectation is that the answer will be some mashup of the words “parrot” and “tiger” that is cute or has some secondary meaning.
In this case the answer breaks that expectation by being something else.

Some jokes depend on breaking cultural or language expectations. People that speak English as a second language or that are from one part of the English world hearing a joke from another part may not have the existing expectations that can be broken to humorous effect.

Then too some people may have sensitivities that overwhelm the joke. For some jokes that can be taken as disparagement of specific groups such as women, racial, religious or gender minorities, the reaction to the disparagement overwhelms the reaction to breaking an expectation and the joke falls flat for that reader or listener.

Likewise jokes that involve something gross or disgusting may have the disgust overwhelm the breaking of expectation.

And then there are folks who say mean things about others and call it a joke because “all humor is at the expense of somebody” which is both incorrect and a rationale to to justify saying mean things.

And finally there are a few folks who just don’t get it but they are pretty rare.

To say that humor is in the eye of the beholder is to a certain extent true but it is also true that it is expected that a joke teller know that the receiver has the appropriate language and cultural background to get the joke.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:45   #2

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Mom and dad are having their first baby. Delivery goes fine, but the Doctor quickly notices a problem. "I'm sorry to tell you this, but your son has no eyelids."

Mom and dad are aghast. "Doctor, what can you do ?"

Doc says, "Its ok, we do have a procedure. When we circumcise him, we simply take the forskin and use it to create eyelids. He'll be fine, its just he will be a little cockeyed."
Old 05-11-2018, 12:56   #3

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Can You Get Married In Heaven?

On their way to the church to get married, a young Catholic couple were involved in a fatal car accident.

Being good Catholics, the young couple find themselves sitting outside the Pearly Gates waiting for St. Peter to process them into Heaven.
While waiting, they begin to wonder: could they possibly get married in Heaven?
When St. Peter showed up, they asked him. St Peter said "I don't know. This is the first time anyone has asked.

Let me go find out" and he leaves them sitting at the Gate.

After three months, St Peter finally returns, looking somewhat bedraggle. "Yes" he informs the couple " I can get you married in Heaven".

"Great!" said the couple "But we were just wondering, what if things don't work out? Could we also get a divorce in Heaven?"

"You must be bloody joking" says St. Peter, red-faced with frustration, slamming his clipboard on the ground.

"What's wrong?" asked the frightened couple".

"OH, COME ON!" St. Peter shouted. "It took me three months to find a priest up here.....Do you have any idea how long it'll take me to find a lawyer ?
Old 05-11-2018, 13:28   #4

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
#^_(

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
Mom and dad are having their first baby. Delivery goes fine, but the Doctor quickly notices a problem. "I'm sorry to tell you this, but your son has no eyelids."

Doc says, "Its ok, we do have a procedure. When we circumcise him, we simply take the forskin and use it to create eyelids. He'll be fine, its just he will be a little cockeyed."
YEP. Hilarious. NOT!
This could be almost as offending to any one that had any child born with a defect of any sort.
Some (or even one) could consider this horrid.

Just close this thread then HUH! _%^&_@)&%*&$)_(^*
Old 08-11-2018, 09:34   #5

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: #^_(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
YEP. Hilarious. NOT!
This could be almost as offending to any one that had any child born with a defect of any sort.
Some (or even one) could consider this horrid.

Just close this thread then HUH! _%^&_@)&%*&$)_(^*

Do what I do. Laugh at the ones you find funny, ignore the ones that offend you.. Same way I pick my friends...As far as closing this thread, maybe you should just stop reading it??I personally look forward to it every morning. Just because you find it offensive, doesn't mean others do. Kinda like changing the channel...
Old 08-11-2018, 11:22   #6

Boat: Rayvin 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post

Yes but think of the foresight he’ll have!
Old 08-11-2018, 21:38   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG58 View Post
And if wearing glasses, tremendous "circumspection"
[emoji102]
Old 09-11-2018, 02:04   #8

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG58 View Post
Lol ! That's a good alternate ending !

Old 05-11-2018, 13:22   #9

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Humor involves breaking an expectation without breaking logic.

An example is:

Q: What do you call a cross between a parrot and a tiger?
A: Whatever it tells you to call it.

Based on previous history with jokes like this the expectation is that the answer will be some mashup of the words “parrot” and “tiger” that is cute or has some secondary meaning.
In this case the answer breaks that expectation by being something else.

Some jokes depend on breaking cultural or language expectations. People that speak English as a second language or that are from one part of the English world hearing a joke from another part may not have the existing expectations that can be broken to humorous effect.

Then too some people may have sensitivities that overwhelm the joke. For some jokes that can be taken as disparagement of specific groups such as women, racial, religious or gender minorities, the reaction to the disparagement overwhelms the reaction to breaking an expectation and the joke falls flat for that reader or listener.

Likewise jokes that involve something gross or disgusting may have the disgust overwhelm the breaking of expectation.

And then there are folks who say mean things about others and call it a joke because “all humor is at the expense of somebody” Maybe not all but certainly MOST.which is both incorrect and a rationale to to justify saying mean things.

And finally there are a few folks who just don’t get it but they are pretty rare.

To say that humor is in the eye of the beholder is to a certain extent true but it is also true that it is expected that a joke teller know that the receiver has the appropriate language and cultural background to get the joke. Which means that NO ONE can post a joke on a public forum because there is no way for them to know all the receivers.
Old 16-11-2018, 07:01   #10

Boat: Bavaria 36'

Translating jokes reminds me of a famous example of one that does not translate from English. One man to another: "My wife has gone on holiday", second man: "Jamaica?", first man: "No she decided on her own." Does not translate well into German for example.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:28   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

https://science.howstuffworks.com/li.../laughter5.htm
Old 05-11-2018, 13:44   #12

Boat: Gulfstar 36 MS

Man, this becoming a tough room!
Old 05-11-2018, 14:11   #13

Boat: no boat any more

all you joke-gestapo: go home!
as svmariane says: "Being offended is not the same thing as being right."
Old 05-11-2018, 16:05   #14

I always enjoyed George Carlin and Sam Kinison because their humor didn't break expectations, they were extremely keen observers of life and you couldn't help but admire the basic truth they spoke. Most people could relate to what they said because they'd experienced it or it was logical.

I still crack up every time I think of Sam Kinison screaming, "Move to where the food is!"

Old 05-11-2018, 16:45   #15

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Buddha-01.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	180195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Judging-01.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	66.9 KB