Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2020, 11:44   #871

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat Guy View Post
She does travel & yoga, so there's synergy....

I'm partially joking about a channel, but you never know...
Just do what I was doing till my chinese phone died and upload minimally or unedited stuff and see if you get any interest. Unless you like video editing and have time for it. I am not sure I can tolerate YouTube commenters for long enough to make it work But it's worth uploading stuff if I can I reckon, I could always turn off comments.
Old 27-05-2020, 12:08   #872

Boat: Plan Joubert 21
Send a message via Skype™ to ProjectManaia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
Just do what I was doing till my chinese phone died and upload minimally or unedited stuff and see if you get any interest. Unless you like video editing and have time for it. I am not sure I can tolerate YouTube commenters for long enough to make it work But it's worth uploading stuff if I can I reckon, I could always turn off comments.
Never turned off the comments, but for some reason they got less...
Guess we never really got the hang of the YouTube thing in some ways. Even though 2k subscribers our v videos get few views. Perhaps the quality was simply not good enough at the beginning, but improved a lot since then... well, you live and you learn ;-)
Old 27-05-2020, 12:33   #873

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectManaia View Post
Never turned off the comments, but for some reason they got less...
Guess we never really got the hang of the YouTube thing in some ways. Even though 2k subscribers our v videos get few views. Perhaps the quality was simply not good enough at the beginning, but improved a lot since then... well, you live and you learn ;-)
I'm just judging it from the comments I see on other peoples channels. But yea, if you are willing to keep putting effort into it it will grow over time. I might be more motivated if I had a half decent camera, but right now it feels like a waste of effort making low quality videos, and because of the fact that I have so much work to do on the boat, so my time is valuable, and I'm exhausted by the end of the day.
Old 27-05-2020, 12:35   #874

Boat: Plan Joubert 21
Send a message via Skype™ to ProjectManaia

Quote:
I'm just judging it from the comments I see on other peoples channels. But yea, if you are willing to keep putting effort into it it will grow over time. I might be more motivated if I had a half decent camera, but right now it feels like a waste of effort making low quality videos. That's mainly affected by the fact that I have so much work to do on the boat though, so my time is valuable, and I'm exhausted by the end of the day.
Certainly been there. IF you are considering throwing out videos at some stage though it might well be worth taking whatever camera you have (Even a phone) and take a couple of videos during the working phase. I always found that those are some of our most popular videos on the channel - at some stage every boater looks for the solution to some riddle/problem on the boat on YouTube And there is your chance to get them hooked ;-)
Old 27-05-2020, 12:52   #875

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectManaia View Post
Certainly been there. IF you are considering throwing out videos at some stage though it might well be worth taking whatever camera you have (Even a phone) and take a couple of videos during the working phase. I always found that those are some of our most popular videos on the channel - at some stage every boater looks for the solution to some riddle/problem on the boat on YouTube And there is your chance to get them hooked ;-)
Yup, the few that are on my channel now are with a phone, uneditted. But now I am down to my back-up phone, and that isn't capable of recording videos, as it is so old that the OS takes up all the space, and too slow to be of any use even if that were not the case. We're just struggling to do something about my charter business and my gfs translation company losing most of their income due to the virus. Cape Verde will be open to tourists soon though, so hopefully things will pick up.
I did actually make a short video each day on my 17 day solo passage with no autopilot down here. But the phone died before I uploaded them.
Old 27-05-2020, 17:58   #876

Boat: Don’t own a boat at this time yet.

Well, I don’t follow any of your YouTube channels so not to offend anyone with my opinion. I used to follow a lot of different YouTube channels. Over time I naturally ended up following just a very few (in sailing, but also follow some on other topics).
What really got me tired is the inability to focus on the subject. That’s exactly why I follow a channel.
So, a couple of cruisers either “expanded” to non sailing topics or (what really ticks me off) they started to show off themselves more than anything else. I got tired of the “look at me preparing dinner”, “look at me eating”, “look at hubby or girlfriend showing xyz”
This and I said to myself “meh, I don’t have time for this”.
The last I was following decided to arrive to Europe in their sailboat (a good series of episodes) and now are renting a van touring through Europe. Nah, at that point is said, f this, unfollowing.
I really follow and support a guy building his sailboat. That’s it. The rest, here and there but not very systematic follower.
Old 27-05-2020, 17:59   #877

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post

I’m going off of all the lifestyle and travel channels, but do enjoy the crazy Norwegian in NBJS https://m.youtube.com/user/kjolevann...able_polymer=1 and the Swedish skiing sailor Alluring Arctic https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCDpg-x8jI4T5Kk4h2jE00mQ
Thank you! I'm Finnish though! And just wait and my channel will turn into all lifestyle content soon as well! 😆
Old 27-05-2020, 23:07   #878

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringarctic View Post
Thank you! I'm Finnish though! And just wait and my channel will turn into all lifestyle content soon as well! [emoji38]

OMG, I’m so sorry for mis representing your nationality. Oops. Obviously I didn’t pay attention to your flag.

No lifestyle please, just action!
Old 28-05-2020, 01:48   #879

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCan View Post
Well, I don’t follow any of your YouTube channels so not to offend anyone with my opinion. I used to follow a lot of different YouTube channels. Over time I naturally ended up following just a very few (in sailing, but also follow some on other topics).
What really got me tired is the inability to focus on the subject. That’s exactly why I follow a channel.
So, a couple of cruisers either “expanded” to non sailing topics or (what really ticks me off) they started to show off themselves more than anything else. I got tired of the “look at me preparing dinner”, “look at me eating”, “look at hubby or girlfriend showing xyz”
This and I said to myself “meh, I don’t have time for this”.
The last I was following decided to arrive to Europe in their sailboat (a good series of episodes) and now are renting a van touring through Europe. Nah, at that point is said, f this, unfollowing.
I really follow and support a guy building his sailboat. That’s it. The rest, here and there but not very systematic follower.
Yea, I'm really only interested in engineering and sailing, as far as YT sailing channels are concerned. Same reason why I am here tbh.
Old 29-05-2020, 01:23   #880

Boat: Costco boogie board

Quote:
Yea, I'm really only interested in engineering and sailing, as far as YT sailing channels are concerned. Same reason why I am here tbh.

It's important to have standards for sure. Do you, like so many others, have a page where people can donate to help keep your family afloat? Like Patreon? These are singularly unique times where many of us are looking for both broad and targeted ways to help one another. Are you able to stay in contact with your family?

Aloha,

Kimo
Old 29-05-2020, 14:46   #881
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38' cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to banyandah

Jack and Jude have sailed the world since 1974, raising their family afloat in over 80 countries. Now in their 70s they're still afloat, sailing around Australia on the vessel they homebuilt 50 years ago.
Our YouTube channel is modest and features Australian content, we are avid wilderness explorers so we take our cameras into very remote areas.

Free Amazon Kindle eBooks
*THIS WEEKEND TWO DAYS ONLY*

It’s on again! Free download of Sailors on Safari. Two Days Only.
From Midnight Saturday 30 May through Midnight Sunday31 June Pacific time.

Note: The complete trilogy is now available for download:
Sailors on Safari + Danger Awaits the Unwary + Moai Magic Home.
On Amazon – Look inside and/or download a sample

Free Videos on our website
For all landlocked sailors, pop over to this webpage with links to fifty or sixty sailing/cruising videos mostly featuring Australia, Coral Sea, the Southern Ocean.
Old 31-05-2020, 02:32   #882

Quote:
Originally Posted by De.windhoos View Post
Before responding, please read the post and please don't pull it out of context . What is the difference between writing articles or books or creating videos?
Reading costs $. Video's have been made free. People would rather watch an entertaining magic light box than someone else's drivel on a page they have to pay for. Videos are free because you can put more commercials to subsidize the content creator. Card libraries, today called search engines have been optimized to help people find what they want whereas nothing like that has been done for text.

Since videos are free it's easier to sit back & criticize the actions of others than to turn their head 90 degrees in any direction & face their own lives they live in & do something about what makes them so salty. It's way easier to form a 2 second opinion of a video as opposed to looking at the totality of any project. Kinda like judging a book by it's cover.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:42   #883

Boat: Gulfstar, Hirsch, 45'

I'd love to start a YT channel and make the money these smart folks have More power to them. every last one of them. My only problem is no-one is gonna pay to watch me and my wife argue every time we anchor, or reef, or... ok just kidding not every single time....
Old 21-06-2020, 01:32   #884

Kika from sailing Uma in a full page B&G commercial in the last Voiles et voiliers (main French sailing magazine) :

Curious to know if they got more than a new VHF for that (that they showed in one of their last vid).
Old 21-06-2020, 03:12   #885

Note : also used on B&G sites front pages :
https://www.bandg.com/passionate-about-sailing/
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard