Even Sailife is withering
Too much “See the comments down below”
and “ In a later episode”
The only one I check out anymore is
Emerald Steel, these folks are the real deal
relating their whole 30 plus years of sailing
Cheers
Neil
I read Brian's blog explaining reasons .

He says they are no longer chasing the YouTube formula of many short episodes of the same thing to maximize income

Instead, they're going to dial back, take some personal time to have the baby, while brother delivers boat to Med.

Then when recharged, they will focus on longer, less frequent content

I think their idea is to transition into more cruising destinations with a purpose and better production quality suitable for regular commercial programing.

I think they will also become popular with a wider non sailing audience as they have matured into good communicators with open personalities
Best of luck to them for 2020
Old 06-05-2019, 17:18   #723

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
The Delos crew just about gave up the ghost
No more regular Friday night episodes.
The whole sailing youtube thing is starting to die
Just plain boring
Spear the Fish
Dive on the Coral
Show a hint of T&A
Yada Yada Yada
Even Sailife is withering
Too much “See the comments down below”
and “ In a later episode”
The only one I check out anymore is
Emerald Steel, these folks are the real deal
relating their whole 30 plus years of sailing
Cheers
Neil
Emerald Steel is a fine channel, but why do you have to bash Delos? They are about to have a baby and want to devote more time for themselves. Good on them.

Breeyan and Kazza are still the same people we grew fond of years ago. If we ever meet I am sure we would become friends. I value all my friends.
Old 07-05-2019, 16:37   #724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
The Delos crew just about gave up the ghost
No more regular Friday night episodes.
The whole sailing youtube thing is starting to die
Just plain boring
Spear the Fish
Dive on the Coral
Show a hint of T&A
Yada Yada Yada

Neil
I suspect Brian's issue is he and kazza have kid on the way and the drunken party boy days are going to be limited...

Contrasting lavagabonde where they were pretty a family of two, now 3.. Some nursing T and still some nice A, but has been interesting seeing Lenny. Will see how the terrible two go on a boat in a year or so.
Old 08-05-2019, 18:05   #725

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

Drenched just got real interesting. Take a look at the boat they just got!
Old 13-05-2019, 07:05   #726

Boat: Pearson 30

sailing project atticus on youtube is my latest favorite...you must watch!

sailing soulianis is a good one...they are just starting to ocean sail after a trip down to the gulf coast from the great lakes.
Old 01-06-2019, 17:57   #727

Great new youtube channel from 2 ex-BBC broadcasters:

https://youtu.be/2IqmvFyaCbg

Sailing Fair Isle
Old 10-06-2019, 08:16   #728

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35

One thing I have noticed with many of my former favorite channels is some have transitioned to full-service venues for patron-only content and have left their non-paying subscribers on YouTube in the dust for the most part.

Sure, they still produce their weekly videos, but tend to fall further and further behind real-time and omit any current details or anything of real substance to free fans in order to maximize monitized content for their patreon viewers.

Social-media posts on facebook or their own blogs go almost full blackout regarding anything newer than what has happened in their most recent free YouTube video, which may be 6-months or more behind real time. All the while their patreons are given up to the minute blog posts but are all but sworn to secrecy to hide the info from the hoi polloi.

One case in point is a vlog that decided at the last to sail to Hawaii from Central America but not to tell their non-patreon fans WTF is going on. It is all a big secret and all the while rhey are posting cryptic middle of Pacific photos on Facebook so nobody not "in the loop" as a paying friend has a clue what is going on for a month or more.

I guess these vlogs are a business and are all about maximizing profits to fund their lifestyle, so I shouldn't be offended if they don't update what is going on to non-paying fans. It just makes it a little less interesting to me at the free level and I tend to disengage as a "fan" tobthe point where I quit watching and eventually even unsubscribe from their YouTube channel.

This is a trend that I have noticed among quite a few channels that I used to watch religiously and never miss a single episode when it first comes out. Once I no longer feel like Im "there" sharing in the adventure it looses its shine.

I am a cruiser myself and barely have the budget to continue living the lifestyle even forgoing a lot of the essentials many others feel are necessary (even those I see enjoyed by vlogs I follow asking for money.) We are not funded by patreon ourselves, and certainly don't have the cashflow to fund other cruisers.

I was content to contribute to their channels by watching every week thumbing up every video and sharing links to their videos on Facebook and other social media occasionally to help boost subscribers and views. Now, I'm at the point of unsubscribing. I don't wish them anything but good luck, I simply have lost the fandom feeling once left so far out of the loop.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:43   #729

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
One thing I have noticed with many of my former favorite channels is some have transitioned to full-service venues for patron-only content and have left their non-paying subscribers on YouTube in the dust for the most part.

Sure, they still produce their weekly videos, but tend to fall further and further behind real-time and omit any current details or anything of real substance to free fans in order to maximize monitized content for their patreon viewers.

Social-media posts on facebook or their own blogs go almost full blackout regarding anything newer than what has happened in their most recent free YouTube video, which may be 6-months or more behind real time. All the while their patreons are given up to the minute blog posts but are all but sworn to secrecy to hide the info from the hoi polloi.

One case in point is a vlog that decided at the last to sail to Hawaii from Central America but not to tell their non-patreon fans WTF is going on. It is all a big secret and all the while rhey are posting cryptic middle of Pacific photos on Facebook so nobody not "in the loop" as a paying friend has a clue what is going on for a month or more.

I guess these vlogs are a business and are all about maximizing profits to fund their lifestyle, so I shouldn't be offended if they don't update what is going on to non-paying fans. It just makes it a little less interesting to me at the free level and I tend to disengage as a "fan" tobthe point where I quit watching and eventually even unsubscribe from their YouTube channel.

This is a trend that I have noticed among quite a few channels that I used to watch religiously and never miss a single episode when it first comes out. Once I no longer feel like Im "there" sharing in the adventure it looses its shine.

I am a cruiser myself and barely have the budget to continue living the lifestyle even forgoing a lot of the essentials many others feel are necessary (even those I see enjoyed by vlogs I follow asking for money.) We are not funded by patreon ourselves, and certainly don't have the cashflow to fund other cruisers.

I was content to contribute to their channels by watching every week thumbing up every video and sharing links to their videos on Facebook and other social media occasionally to help boost subscribers and views. Now, I'm at the point of unsubscribing. I don't wish them anything but good luck, I simply have lost the fandom feeling once left so far out of the loop.

Sonce none of it is live, and since you’re a cruiser yourself, so not living vicariously through them, why does it matter how far behind the videos are?

I’ve not noticed it myself, other than when they are in locations like the South Pacific with poor internet access.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:59   #730

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35

Do you not keep up with other cruisers online, such as on Facebook? I have many Facebook "friends" who cruise and have yet to be in the same area and have never yet met.

95% of the "friends" I have on Facebook are cruisers or some type of sailors. The same is true for the videos I follow on YouTube.

So in my view this is no different than following a video blog IMHO. If your facebook friends only kept you up to about six months ago, yet kept other "paying friends" up to the minute on many currenr happenings as "premium content" how inclined would you be to keep following them?

I don't know about you, but I lose interest in "keeping up" with old news...
Old 10-06-2019, 16:02   #731

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post

... very inspiring channel...
real cruisers....
I watched this video and it was mind blowing what they accomplished!! Very inspirational and highly recommend!!
Old 11-06-2019, 07:46   #732

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhubb_99 View Post
sailing project atticus on youtube is my latest favorite...you must watch!
Another vote for Atticus.

It's a lot easier for most of us to relate to a couple doing it on the cheap in a thirty something year old thirty foot boat, than to a couple on a million dollar cat.

They can both be fun to watch, but I have no illusions as to which end of the scale I am nearer to.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:35   #733

Boat: no sail boat yet :(

I Pat for several channels:
Emerald Steel
Paragon
Bums on a Boat
Erik Aanderaa
Barry Perkins
Sail Life
Sampson boat building
Drenched
Kittiwake

Eric and Leo are my favorites.
Old 11-06-2019, 18:41   #734

Another vote for Sailing with the Litzenbergers. They’re really funny and on a tight budget.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCax...Ncgxb06V60SEkw
Old 12-06-2019, 05:18   #735

The Adventures of Tarka is another small boat/small budget series that's pretty good.
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard