Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2024, 16:59   #1

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.5
What's your anchoring etiquette

Hey all! So we've Now put on over 1500 miles under our boat! It's been an amazing dream. Also, if mods want to move this post to a more appropriate forum, go ahead. This is certainly an anchoring-related question however:

We're here anchoring in the different spots in Baja and there have been hilarious moments where we have an entire Bay to ourself, miles of depth-stable shelf (such as Magdalena Bay) and then another boat comes and anchors a few boat lengths away. Today we're in a very small Bay, Ballandra Bay outside of Loreto happily anchored under two anchors as close to shore as we can get. Maybe a hundred feet from being aground in the shallows.

A few days ago another 41' boat anchored right next to us and for the first time ever I actually rowed out to them and let them know that my boat swings a lot and I thought it was dangerous (I knew their boat was a swinger as well being another Hunter). They agreed and said they were already moving which they did - much appreciated. This is when I put out a second anchor to help reduce our risk, also given that a strong Northerly was coming in, I was glad to help everyone out. That being said, there was plenty of safe (but I acknowledge less 'prime') spots in the bay. If I hadn't done 2 anchors, our swinger boats might have snuck a little kiss in the night.

Then a catamaran came in yesterday and anchored even closer! Today they got within about one and a half boat lengths away - drifting during a calm, when I finally said in a friendly 'win-friends-and-influence-people' voice (no need to even shout here due to the distance) 'how far do you think you'll drift'? To which the captain assured me that 'I was fine' (I think a freudian slip on her part) and that she'd re-anchor, which she did - about 50 feet further away.

The next catamaran that came in (it's been a busy day), unlike this lady, clearly was assessing the scene and gave adequate room. I motioned to him about my two anchors, and he gave me a wave of understanding. Seemed more responsible.

However, I barely consider myself an intermediate cruiser at best, so I put it to the community of experts - what is proper given the circumstances that you cruise in? I generally use radar and try to get 300', but settle for ~200 or so from other boats. Do you have a distance? Obviously, different conditions and areas can change this. So what do you do in your area?

I don't pretend to own the oceans, I just want to not hit anyone or anything, and get a good night's sleep. Cheers
sv_isara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 17:19   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: What's your anchoring etiquette

There is no hard and fast rule, since every place varies with depth and holding and crowded-ness. Also, you have no way of knowing how much chain someone who got there first might have put out. It seems like some people feel that the more chain they put out, the better seamanship they have, and yell at you from 300 yards away as you come in to anchor in two fathoms, "I have 200 feet of chain out!" "Pull some in!" I always want to yell back.
Bottom line, you want to assume everyone else has a reasonable amount of scope--5:1 unless a big blow is expected, and anchor accordingly. If they want more room, they need to learn to live with others. How you deal with folk who anchor on top of you when you're there already is up to the individual situation--there may be huge egos involved, or you might make a friend. It's always awkward, though.
Old 29-01-2024, 17:24   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

When I'm anchoring with other boats around (doesn't happen very often these days), I try and find the furthest spot away from others, while still ensuring a good anchoring spot. Sometimes that means boats have to be crowded close together, but if there is lots of room, I seek the furthest distance I can get.

I've anchored where boats can swing within a boat length or two from each other. In truly busy places, this can be necessary. But it's certainly not desirable. If I have any choice, I go somewhere else.

I'm not clear why you deployed two anchors. Was that to prevent swinging into shore? Deploying two anchors is useful for certain circumstances, but it's not a good practice for general anchoring.
Old 29-01-2024, 17:29   #4

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
When I'm anchoring with other boats around (doesn't happen very often these days), I try and find the furthest spot away from others, while still ensuring a good anchoring spot. Sometimes that means boats have to be crowded close together, but if there is lots of room, I seek the furthest distance I can get.

I've anchored where boats can swing within a boat length or two from each other. In truly busy places, this can be necessary. But it's certainly not desirable. If I have any choice, I go somewhere else.

I'm not clear why you deployed two anchors. Was that to prevent swinging into shore? Deploying two anchors is useful for certain circumstances, but it's not a good practice for general anchoring.
What if the boats chase you down and anchor right next to you? In these 3 examples of mine, that's what happened. I can swim to shore and have the least amount of fetch so of course I'd rather not move.

I deployed 2 anchors mainly to prevent us swinging into each other at the same time (Hunters hunt at anchor; he was getting almost 90 degrees to the wind on either side as was I before the 2nd anchor). Also yes, if we swung close to shore I'd be nearly aground.
sv_isara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 17:43   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_isara View Post
What if the boats chase you down and anchor right next to you? In these 3 examples of mine, that's what happened. I can swim to shore and have the least amount of fetch so of course I'd rather not move.
You asked about anchoring etiquette. But some people aren't going to follow, or respect, what most would call respectful behaviour. Seems to me, you've answered your question through your actions; politely suggest the other boat move on. If they won't, then all you can do is take actions to prevent a problem. This includes moving your boat.

Quote:
I deployed 2 anchors mainly to prevent us swinging into each other at the same time (Hunters hunt at anchor; he was getting almost 90 degrees to the wind on either side as was I before the 2nd anchor). Also yes, if we swung close to shore I'd be nearly aground.
As I said, dual anchors have their place, but it's not something to be used for general anchoring. I deploy a second anchor for special circumstances. Preventing a collision might be one such circumstance, although I've never had to do that.

Seems to me you're doing what you can.
Old 29-01-2024, 17:54   #6

Boat: Volkscruiser

SV-Isara as you get more experience you will find a lone cruising yacht will attract plenty of boats. For some reason lots of boaties are like moths to a flame and cannot help but anchor close.
We had a hilarious experience at Christmas with our yacht. We are a 32-foot yacht and draw less than three feet with keel up. Anyway, we were tucked up nicely in our empty anchorage and come the end of the day three other yachts arrived and all of them came close to us and run aground. We did the arm waving yelling routine but they all must have thought we wanted our privacy, and they just ignored us. One yacht was so hard aground we rowed over had a cuppa with them and by then the tide had risen enough so they could float of the sand and anchor in deeper water. While having the cuppa a Seawind cat turned up and we started the yelling thing and at the last minute he turned and was only stuck on the sand for a few minutes.
I have seen people anchor close and then just put out a lot of fenders and leave it to luck if they don't hit.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 18:44   #7

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	i-have-anchor-management-issues-funny-anchor-sailor-boat-gift-stacy-mccafferty.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	285806   Click image for larger version

Name:	social networking.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	285807  

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 19:02   #8

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Hey all! So we've Now put on over 1500 miles under our boat! It's been an amazing dream. Also, if mods want to move this post to a more appropriate forum, go ahead. This is certainly an anchoring-related question however:

We're here anchoring in the different spots in Baja and there have been hilarious moments where we have an entire Bay to ourself, miles of depth-stable shelf (such as Magdalena Bay) and then another boat comes and anchors a few boat lengths away. Today we're in a very small Bay, Ballandra Bay outside of Loreto happily anchored under two anchors as close to shore as we can get. Maybe a hundred feet from being aground in the shallows.

A few days ago another 41' boat anchored right next to us and for the first time ever I actually rowed out to them and let them know that my boat swings a lot and I thought it was dangerous (I knew their boat was a swinger as well being another Hunter). They agreed and said they were already moving which they did - much appreciated. This is when I put out a second anchor to help reduce our risk, also given that a strong Northerly was coming in, I was glad to help everyone out. That being said, there was plenty of safe (but I acknowledge less 'prime') spots in the bay. If I hadn't done 2 anchors, our swinger boats might have snuck a little kiss in the night.

Then a catamaran came in yesterday and anchored even closer! Today they got within about one and a half boat lengths away - drifting during a calm, when I finally said in a friendly 'win-friends-and-influence-people' voice (no need to even shout here due to the distance) 'how far do you think you'll drift'? To which the captain assured me that 'I was fine' (I think a freudian slip on her part) and that she'd re-anchor, which she did - about 50 feet further away.

The next catamaran that came in (it's been a busy day), unlike this lady, clearly was assessing the scene and gave adequate room. I motioned to him about my two anchors, and he gave me a wave of understanding. Seemed more responsible.

However, I barely consider myself an intermediate cruiser at best, so I put it to the community of experts - what is proper given the circumstances that you cruise in? I generally use radar and try to get 300', but settle for ~200 or so from other boats. Do you have a distance? Obviously, different conditions and areas can change this. So what do you do in your area?

I don't pretend to own the oceans, I just want to not hit anyone or anything, and get a good night's sleep. Cheers
I am comfortable with a lot less than 200', if some basic rules are followed. The most important is that all boats have the same, or very close to the same scope. You having 2 anchors out confuses things and makes it more difficult.

In a really crowded anchorage, say 20' deep, and typical conditions everyone might have between 5:1 and 7:1 scope. So that is 100-140 feet of rode. You can pull right up behind another boat, like 5 feet behind them as close as you can get without hitting them, and drop your anchor right there. While you are close and dropping your anchor, ask the other boat how much rode they have out, and let out exactly the same amount. If they let out 100', that would put you about 80' behind them, and you will be safe. If the wind reverses, they will then be 80' behind you.

When anchoring side by side, the same sort of rules apply, but it is much more difficult. You need to figure out where their anchor is, how much scope they have out, and drop your anchor that distance to the side of their anchor. Your boats would then be (in the example above) about 80' side by side, and be safe.

That is of course a crowded anchorage, and I only give the example to illustrate how close boats can safely be together. They can actually safely be even closer if carefully coordinated. I have anchored about 50' next to a buddy boat in an otherwise empty anchorage because we were swimming back and forth.

None of that works if a boat has 2 anchors down, or if they feel they need 10:1 scope and everyone else feels 5:1 is enough.

But etiquette is something else entirely. Most people like their privacy. Where space permits, use the space and give other theirs.
Old 30-01-2024, 01:28   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
SV-Isara as you get more experience you will find a lone cruising yacht will attract plenty of boats. For some reason lots of boaties are like moths to a flame and cannot help but anchor close...
Indeed.

I recall anchoring, all by ourselves, on the Great Bahama Bank, about 2 NM [off the line] from the NW Chanel Light [between Cat Cay & Chubb Cay].
When I awoke, early next AM, we were surrounded by eight other boats, all anchored within several boat lengths of each other, and us [a respectable separation in a busy harbour].
I guess there’s safety [from other boats passing ‘on the line’] in numbers [of anchor lights].

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2024, 05:52   #10

Boat: Nonsuch 30

A couple of thoughts based on a few thousands of nights at anchor. Yes, an anchored boat does attract others to anchor, not much you can do other than ask others to give you more. space if they are really close. As a rule, don't use two anchors. We did a four-year circumnavigation and never used two anchors. If your boat sails a lot when anchored, consider. a riding sail. We have a Nonsuch 30 now and it is a champion sailor at anchor. My wife made a riding sail kit from Sailrite (the larger one) and it works great.
Old 30-01-2024, 06:31   #11
CLOD

Boat: none

"comfortable" with 200' between boats, WOW how could you ever go to a location that has things like a dinghy dock, store etc etc. and expect that Heck even a lot of coves probably will not have that and you don't expect somehow to have to stay out in the open because of that do you?

In the end the boat most worried has to move first and if you feel you have some other "claim" you aren't going to make it when the group shows up
Old 30-01-2024, 06:56   #12

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Ha! I have anchored in some crowded anchorages where I could probably jump aboard the next boat over. For my own part, I generally try to anchor downwind of most or all of the other boats, based on the prevailing wind, and this also has the advantage of putting we out of harm's way when a front comes through, the wind shifts 180 degrees at 0200 and everyone starts to drag. The distance to the next boat is highly dependent on the anchorage, depths, weather, etc. I agree with others that often if you are the first in the anchorage others will crowd around you. Over the years I have become more and more tolerant and try to avoid any discussion unless I truly feel we are likely to have a problem. If it's calm and likely to stay that way I will let a lot slide. What I resent are the people that scream at you for anchoring "too close" when the anchorage is crowded, you are well anchored in a good spot, and they are being unreasonable. Frankly, I feel sorry for those folks since they seem to always be anxious about every boat arriving in the harbor. In the worst case scenarios often the boats that are right next to you will be the least of your worries because they would only give you a mild bump. OTOH, the boat well to windward that drags back on you at a rate of knots can do some damage. We were once rammed by a boat well to leeward of us, which became close to windward during a frontal passage in the Bahamas. Turns out they had put out almost no scope since it was a calm evening and they were well downwind of us when they anchored. Point being it is hard to know what boats might be potential hazards to your well being.
Old 30-01-2024, 09:46   #13

Agree Kettlewell, I may not like it, but as long as there's a boat-length between us, I'm fine. It's an unrealistic expectation to have hundreds of feet between boats in busy anchorages. The answer to this need is to get off the beaten path, and go places few boats go.

I've only encountered the "yeller" once in my cruising life. We go into a bay that could easily accommodate a dozen boats. Depths are 8 to 12 feet (Great Lakes, no tide). One little boat is anchored right in the middle. Fine, no problem. I go as far away as I can get, and lay out about 70-feet of rode.

This guy is glaring all the time. Finally he yells out "I have 200 feet out!!" You're too close! I wave friendly-like, assess the distances, and even with his ridiculous amount out, I decide we're safe. So I say, "Thanks for letting me know..." and ignore him.

He then starts berating his clearly long-suffering wife. She is embarrassed, and chagrin. We lock eyes a few times, and she is apologetic, but clearly used to this kind of idiotic behaviour from her spouse.

He yells out a few times, and finally I tell him he has a ridiculous amount of rode out, so pull some in if he's worried (I was still not worried). After a lot more huffing and yelling, he makes a big show of moving. I watch as he pulls up about 80 feet of rode, and he leaves. Clearly all he wanted was to have the whole bay to himself.

The wife gives me more apologetic looks as they pass by -- passing unnecessarily close. A complete jerk and a-hole. I felt very sorry for her.
Old 30-01-2024, 09:59   #14

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

Anchoring complaints- we don't need a forum, we need a book, maybe a few volumes. Popular anchorages are - well, popular, so they get more crowded than we like but that's a reality of cruising. Other than having an obnoxious person anchoring too close or deciding that everyone within 100 meters will enjoy their music, my two most common complaints are: The anchorage with a depth of 10-12' is relatively full. Most have about a 5:1 scope due to the closeness and the light breeze then someone comes in about sundown and lays down 200' or more of rode because it will hold better if a storm moves in or because that's the way he always anchors. Then we have the two anchor person who wants to hold their boat in place to avoid swinging into another boat. At 2am, the light breeze is coming from a different direction. Lights come on and yelling can be heard. In both cases, the attitude seems to be "Everyone is out of step except Johnny". The guy with 200' of rode is complaining about other boats getting in his way while the two anchor person complains about other boats swinging into his stationary boat. Enjoy the show.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2024, 10:16   #15

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I know many folks dislike the local custom where I am of routinely deploying bow and stern hooks, but, man, we really don't have the same kind of 2 am conflicts here.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring