Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2021, 20:22   #1

Liveaboard in St. Pete for a Retirement Plan??

I am contemplating what to do in retirement. I have had a boat at a marina here in the Georgia for 12 years. Two of my kids now live in St. Pete. I don't want to sell my house at this point. I'm thinking of getting a boat in a marina down there that I can come to any time and get out of the cold weather and my kids can use it when I'm not there.

I would like to get your thoughts on this. I am a freshwater boater. A friend that is originally from Tampa has told me that maintaining a boat in salt water is tough.

I would also like some ideas or sites to go to see if someone may rent their boat for a month so I can get an idea of what it's like to stay on a boat in ocean waters. I like what I read about Harborage Marina, but any decent marina would do for a trial period.

Any thoughts or experiences are welcome.
webdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 20:46   #2

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320
Re: Liveaboard in St. Pete for a Retirement Plan??

Harborage is fairly expensive. St. Pete Municipal allows liveaboard, but it can take six months to two years to get a slip, depending on the size of your boat. (Smaller is better.)

Saltwater means hard bottom paint. Boatyards are scarce here, so expect to pay a lot for a haulout every three years or so. Also, you need a diver to clean the bottom every month.

On the positive side, the west coast of Florida is a beautiful cruising ground. Lots of anchorages and funky small towns where you can visit and have fun.

The draft of your boat has to be five feet or less, preferably close to 4.5 feet. Yeah, you can manage with deeper draft. But it won't be fun. And you will run aground a lot.

Workable? Yes. But it's not a spur of the moment decision. Good planning is key. Florida has 21 million people. You aren't discovering anything. Lots of people have thought of this before you.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 06:23   #3
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdiva View Post
I'm thinking of getting a boat in a marina down there that I can come to any time and get out of the cold weather and my kids can use it when I'm not there.
I think you should just get an apartment and let the kids get a boat that YOU could use!
Old 26-01-2021, 06:56   #4

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I think you should just get an apartment and let the kids get a boat that YOU could use!

This is the kind of forward thinking we need!
Old 26-01-2021, 07:50   #5

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
Harborage is fairly expensive. St. Pete Municipal allows liveaboard, but it can take six months to two years to get a slip, depending on the size of your boat. (Smaller is better.)

Saltwater means hard bottom paint. Boatyards are scarce here, so expect to pay a lot for a haulout every three years or so. Also, you need a diver to clean the bottom every month.

On the positive side, the west coast of Florida is a beautiful cruising ground. Lots of anchorages and funky small towns where you can visit and have fun.

The draft of your boat has to be five feet or less, preferably close to 4.5 feet. Yeah, you can manage with deeper draft. But it won't be fun. And you will run aground a lot.

Workable? Yes. But it's not a spur of the moment decision. Good planning is key. Florida has 21 million people. You aren't discovering anything. Lots of people have thought of this before you.

All great advice and commentary except the draft. YES - if you have less than 5 feet then you will have full range. However, one generally only runs aground because they either weren't paying attention or tried to do something they shouldn't have. Plenty of places to sail in the TaMPA bAY AREA WITH 6-7 FEET OF DRAFT.
Old 26-01-2021, 08:02   #6

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

It’s a great place to retire from what we can see. We have lots of family in St Pete Beach/Clearwater area and we have been there many times.
Good luck finding a slip: my cousin owns two marinas there and he couldn’t find a place for us!
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 09:28   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1983 Catalina 25

My experience with marina in the Tampa Bay area is that there very expensive and only going up in price. And live a board marinas are hard to find. So if on a fixed income it may not be a great idea. If funds are unlimited and you have patience then its beautiful here!
CoryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 11:27   #8

Boat: Bristol 32

I live aboard in a Bristol 32 anchored off Fort Meyers/Cape Corral area for about 6 years. Call me if you like. At 81 I find typing a chore. LOL
Captain Parry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 11:28   #9

Boat: Bristol 32

910 915-3900
Captain Parry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 13:24   #10

My regal cruiser ( power ) 2004 - 30 ift is shortly going on market
newer long blocks , drives recently re done , cold cold a/c
Included in deal is a transferable Live A board Slip ,
Daytona , Not clear water , 150 miles , along ICW

Daytona is not Clearwater / St Pete , but for $ 364.00 including electric / water you cant beat it , Plus your close too kids but not that close
I am not live a board I can sleep aboard often but once I declare myself live a board I believe there is a $ 90.00 fee
Waiting list for larger boats ,asking $ 50,000 including 3 axle trailer
State run marina that has over 500 slips
clean , nice , always something going on
Selling too downsize , boat used weekly
good luck with your retirement
Al B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, retirement, stpete