Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2021, 14:07   #1366
cruiser

Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Did someone say boobies? [emoji15]
lol
Old 27-01-2021, 14:10   #1367

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi22 View Post
We were back to the boobies; what happened to that?!
"People gotta eat" that's where my point of view on real jobs question shine, I guess...
AI will be in the service of the creators for editing and recording, and there won't be a greedy company that's taking a big chunk of cash from their royalties. %100 of the ad income will go right into their pockets as the cell phones - or whatever devices - are going to be able to do everything that google servers do. Yeah, everybody will be creating hologram videos and such, but not everybody will be popular. I assume the successful ones will be rich and giving out charities. Today, even the most successful YT-er's financial future is in the mercy of YT. YT, one day, can announce that they are changing the search engine policy to give chance to newcomers, and the dream is over. If YT had a competition that were giving %50 of the ad income to the creators as royalties, then yeah a media business could be built through a channel like that. But at the moment, YT give a royalty of a joke to its creators. Especially since it was bought by google, the royalties have vanished in the air - now the creators earn only a fraction of what YT-ers used to earn by royalties. You cannot play with a doctor's future like that.
Netflix says, "this is how much it costs;" it comes to you with a competitive price. It doesn't say, "how much you wanna chip in, bro." The minute one says, "how much do you think it's worthed?" then it's begging. "Give me your hard earned money, so that I can continue my carefree lifestyle in the Bahamas on my yacht. Here is a video or two every week in exchange" is not a job. A way of making some good cash today, but not a job.
I don't know about the amazing future of boobies. I'm a girl, so I have no idea about the effect of boobies on 'reptile' brains of men. Female reptile brains work different - not any better, just different.
The flaw in your argument seems to be that doctors= real job, but youtube creator ≠real job based on who gets the money or who would survive in the stone age. But as far as I can tell a lot of doctors etc would be fundamentally useless in the stone age without all their fancy tech and what little I know about HMOs seems to suggest a lot of practices would die without their financial overlords.

But what gets me about guys ...oops, people... like you who seem to continually pop into this thread before disappearing is that if you don't watch YouTube, the whole concept should be no skin off your noses, but you apparently want to "protect" us "sincere but naive" folk from the evil of watching free entertainment on the iterwebs.
Old 27-01-2021, 14:15   #1368

Quote:
We were back to the boobies; what happened to that?!
I know! My priorities are clearly out of whack.

Quote:
Today, even the most successful YT-er's financial future is in the mercy of YT. YT, one day, can announce that they are changing the search engine policy to give chance to newcomers, and the dream is over. If YT had a competition that were giving %50 of the ad income to the creators as royalties, then yeah a media business could be built through a channel like that. But at the moment, YT give a royalty of a joke to its creators. Especially since it was bought by google, the royalties have vanished in the air - now the creators earn only a fraction of what YT-ers used to earn by royalties. You cannot play with a doctor's future like that.
I agree with all that 150%. I mean, some YTers are the equivalent of Bezos and Musk and Gates but yeah, most probably have other hustles. Although...still...I would consider any labor from which you earn income, no matter how paltry, a 'job'. Dead horse alert, I'll stop.

Quote:
Netflix says, "this is how much it costs;" it comes to you with a competitive price. It doesn't say, "how much you wanna chip in, bro." The minute one says, "how much do you think it's worthed?" then it's begging. "Give me your hard earned money, so that I can continue my carefree lifestyle in the Bahamas on my yacht. Here is a video or two every week in exchange" is not a job. A way of making some good cash today, but not a job.
I actually prefer this model over our current market-based model, in which companies try to squeeze us for as much as we have. A lot of people through no fault of their own (probably a majority of the world) can't afford to pay for The Mandalorian, for Radiohead, for Sailing La Vagabonde. Pay-what-you-will is, to me, a more humane capitalism. I know there's a huge debate over this, but I don't mind subsidizing others if it's a price I can afford. A couple bucks a month on Patreon doesn't break my bank and allows me and a bunch of other free-riders access to content I find worthwhile. The internet is huge. If only a thousand people around the world give a couple bucks a month to a content creator, that creator eats and keeps producing the content I like.

Quote:
I don't know about the amazing future of boobies. I'm a girl, so I have no idea about the effect of boobies on 'reptile' brains of men. Female reptile brains work different - not any better, just different.
Oh, there you go. You have singlehandedly assured that this thread will go on for another 90 pages. Good job.
Old 27-01-2021, 14:34   #1369
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
The flaw in your argument seems to be that doctors= real job, but youtube creator ≠real job based on who gets the money or who would survive in the stone age. But as far as I can tell a lot of doctors etc would be fundamentally useless in the stone age without all their fancy tech and what little I know about HMOs seems to suggest a lot of practices would die without their financial overlords.

But what gets me about guys ...oops, people... like you who seem to continually pop into this thread before disappearing is that if you don't watch YouTube, the whole concept should be no skin off your noses, but you apparently want to "protect" us "sincere but naive" folk from the evil of watching free entertainment on the iterwebs.
Do not take the 'stoneage' example literally. It was used just to make a point. The example could be varied. In communism, in social democracy, in capitalism, in a dictorship, in a free democracy or in whatever system you can think of, there will be a need for a doctor, and she would do her job exactly in the very same way living in every single one of them, the principles of biology doesn't change or vary - that was the point of saying that, nothing more or less to it. Of course, I was not actually suggesting to pick a career considering a possible stoneage future. lol.
Old 27-01-2021, 14:39   #1370
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Monotone View Post
Oh, there you go. You have singlehandedly assured that this thread will go on for another 90 pages. Good job.
But reptile brains have so much to do with how some YT sailing channels become super popular.
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard