Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2020, 04:09   #1021

Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Sailing Messenger is a small channel which is different to the usual vlogs chasing each other around the Med or Caribbean. A very pleasant young Dutch couple who are PhysEd teachers immerse themselves with the locals. They are sailing south to the Maldives through Egypt, Red Sea, the Gulf of Suez and currently in Djibouti. Boat is Trintella 3A, 35' and they are doing this on a small budget. Who knew there were such nice reefs in this part of the world?
Old 09-10-2020, 10:37   #1022

Boat: Brent Swain Pilot House 36' Steel Sloop

Timely topic for me. Certainly YT provides an opportunity for friends and family an entertaining, informative means to see just what "you" see by endless cruising in conditions from crushing dreariness, solitary confinement as if clear blue sky, warm windy days could compensate. I launched my boat in 2005 and have been living aboard full time for past 12 years in utterly busy, engaged cruising/maintenance dance. My present interest in YT tweaked by realizing that proof of it all as frequently requested from my tribe is barely a dozen (bad) pics. Hence... YT ... I decided on Filmora 9 (entry level) video editing and just recently started my channel ....not for YT glory but for my growing "fan" base of the "vicariously" curious. I am on the learning curve with this and feedback from this deep file of knowledge here ... much appreciated. At YT in the seach box: (gold pan fry pan).

..... respectfully and thank you
Gary
Old 10-10-2020, 17:09   #1023

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
If people think that there is money to be made building a cruising boat up from basically a hulk, outfitting it to the nines and then selling it for more money than they have invested (regardless of how much sweat equity has been invested, I'm just talking parts) then they have something seriously crossed in their wires or perception of reality.

You can never get what you put into boat upgrades and refits at the time of sale, not even if you are internet famous. Even Mads from SailLife is going to have to cut his losses when he sells Obilyx as he moves aboard Athena (and perhaps again when he sells Athena after catching the dreaded cat fever.)

I refitted a 50 ft mid 80's boat. It's not cheap, easy or done quickly even if you get help. That's a refit not a build from scratch.

I likely would not do it again. I would simply buy what I wanted when I wanted it and go. No money saved. Not a dime
Old 15-10-2020, 06:49   #1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcguy View Post
Timely topic for me. Certainly YT provides an opportunity for friends and family an entertaining, informative means to see just what "you" see by endless cruising in conditions from crushing dreariness, solitary confinement as if clear blue sky, warm windy days could compensate. I launched my boat in 2005 and have been living aboard full time for past 12 years in utterly busy, engaged cruising/maintenance dance. My present interest in YT tweaked by realizing that proof of it all as frequently requested from my tribe is barely a dozen (bad) pics. Hence... YT ... I decided on Filmora 9 (entry level) video editing and just recently started my channel ....not for YT glory but for my growing "fan" base of the "vicariously" curious. I am on the learning curve with this and feedback from this deep file of knowledge here ... much appreciated. At YT in the seach box: (gold pan fry pan).

..... respectfully and thank you
Gary
Nice, enjoyed that. Not seen them all yet. So refreshing not to have close up me me, look at me, up my nasal shots. One question though have all the whale bones gone or were they used for other manufacturing processes ? : )
Old 15-10-2020, 15:41   #1025

Boat: Brent Swain Pilot House 36' Steel Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner II View Post
Nice, enjoyed that. Not seen them all yet. So refreshing not to have close up me me, look at me, up my nasal shots. One question though have all the whale bones gone or were they used for other manufacturing processes ? : )

Sorry for the delay ... just now heading back to the tropics (Comox Harbour) after a great season PNW. Time to winter over just leaving north Cortes on a NW tomorrow. No bones there as you ask but man those pilings and the north westerly storms, rugged, unforgiving. As you know sailors like their grog and write poetry (at least historically)... I did scratch out a few lines about that spookiness of that harsh slaughter hole...

Blubber Bay

Tilted, fallen; naked, orphaned from time
Century dock pillings amid sunken, reeking muck
Blackened, bleached
Scorched salt mists; fierce winter rot...
Decay, cruel sweat and memories, they last
Ships, sailors, dockmen; rattling machinery ashore
Helpless, seized at harsh tools; grip fear soaked axes
And slashedÖ
Bleached forest timbers thereabouts on the ground
As faded grey witness to tall horizons laid down
Iron bound in chain manacles and spikes
Heard this din oft by a whalerís tavern nearby
A century since; silence now perfectly served
Windows withered, twisted marrow-less their frames
Walls buckled at skeletal floor remains
Blubber bayís past tides, memory of sun
When wavelet waters, winnowed prisms run
Left now to memory amid graceless heaped dust
An iron anchor, rust blistered, headstone of such
As graveyard notice at the tavernís trodden door
Yet wisps linger still, adrift within
At memories when ale tankards praised the din
Suffer echoes, mournings, desperate were hopes
For a shipless bellís note amid steam whistle stokes
And marinersí scoured tables quiet, unmoved
Dip your hat by the bay; the pilonís remains
And past to whalersí charred chimneys thereabouts lain
They bleed rust into prisoned, trammel steel lanes
As remembrance of wheeled trolleys back then
Leaking burden; the virgin oceanís bloody day
Gripped, barred forever to its all yesterdays
And so time; the notice arrived, overdue
A blood red sun the last flencing the final tide
Old 16-10-2020, 06:36   #1026

We have definitely reached the saturation point on Youtube with cruising and sailing videos.

There are so many, you couldn't watch them all if you tried.
Old 28-10-2020, 05:07   #1027

Boat: rock20, 24ft

Hi everybody

Did not know where to start, so i thought i would write here.

I am a 41 year old Finnish man with family of four, wanting to go explore wold. Like any of us with out lottery win dont have revenue for it. I have started to make videos in Youtube hoping that it would be one source of income one day.

If never sailed before summer 2019. I bought 24 ft sailboat to learn to sail and now it is my second season almost over.

reason for writing is marketing and of course at this forum to get more knowledge.

Hope not stepping any toes, here is a link of my newest video
https://youtu.be/Ttnf5F9yPQY
It is Autumn feelings in lake Keitele, in midle of Finland.

If this is at wrong place im sorry.

thanks mika alias landcrab in sailboat
Old 19-11-2020, 04:33   #1028

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Something a little different, an ordinary middle aged couple buy a steelie full of holes and set about fixing her up with plans for the big trip. Their son Jack perhaps 10yrs old, does some of the commentary and is very entertaining. The work though, sheesh, still I have wished them all the best. Quality of the videos improving dramatically too.

Pete

Old 30-11-2020, 15:29   #1029

Hey Yall

First time poster, longtime lurker.

Im still a non sailor for now, so youtube has been my go to for sailing experiences(along with this forum) I'm 33, have a good job and am going at it the safe way to pay for my future cruising plans. Investments and what not. I wish I was brave enought to just buy the boat now and have a go at the youtube route but my anxiety just wont let me do that. I feel that the sailing corner of youtube is already over saturated and would be hard getting a start right now. As of right now my future plans are to circumnavigate, not rushing but not taking more than 3-5 years. Should I just keep saving and investing and plan for an early retirement to make it happen? Should I just take a break and come back to work when im done? Or my other idea is to sail 6 months and then work 6 months back in the states. I'm not sure if the latter makes much sense. Would putting your boat on the hard for 6 months somewhere far off make any sense? Any advice would be much appreciated.

As for sailing youtubers I follow ill list them in order of what ones I like the most.

1. Sailing Nahoa- Great couple, Far off locations, Good information on boat life.
2. The O'kellys- A lot of great information from them. Especially buying a catamaran.
3. Gone with the wynns- A little cookie cutter but still fun to watch. Very good production quality.
4. Rigging Doctor- Seem knowledgeable, electric engine with small battery bank(nuts). Doing it on the cheap.
5. Sailing Millenial Falcon- doing it on the cheap as well. nice couple
6. MJ Sailing- Very interested to see how they do building their cat. Might want to go that route.
7. Sailing Balachandra- Small channel but good content. Surprised they dont have more followers.
8. Sailing Parlay Revival- Rebuilt a hurricane damaged boat. Stresses me out a lot.
9. Boatworks Today- Not really a sailing channel but sure is a good source of info.
10. Sampson Boat Co- This guy has big balls to do what hes doing. Everyone should check him out.
11.GTFO plan- Future owners of a Balance 482. A balance Cat would be my dream boat which makes me want to keep saving till I retire.

I watch a few others but dont watch religiously like la vaga and delos etc... They've both gotten a little boring for me. When La Vaga brought on Greta I was out. I do think they attract people to sailing though which cant all be that bad. I think a lot of their audience is non sailors which is fine by me. Sorry if this post got a little long.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:33   #1030

Adventures of an Old Sea Dog! I cried with him when he made it half way around the world. Skip to 16:00 for the warm fuzzy motivation part...
Old 11-12-2020, 13:52   #1031

Boat: Irwin, Citation, 34

There is a new couple doing it out there and, we'll I'm addicted. Called GBU (Good Bad & Ugly sailing) on YouTube. Am also in discussions with them. They bought a boat for $5000 that had sailed to the UK and back a few years earlier, they worked on it for a year or two and now they've been putting out monthly vids for the past couple of years. Am addicted.
Highly recommend it. They too use Patreon.
Old 12-12-2020, 11:44   #1032

Boat: J Boats J/46

How about this channel?

Old 12-12-2020, 12:01   #1033

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
We have definitely reached the saturation point on Youtube with cruising and sailing videos.

There are so many, you couldn't watch them all if you tried.

I agree. Why spend precious ticks of the clock watching someone else sailing, when you could be doing it yourself? Then being asked to donate my hard earned boat dollars...
Old 12-12-2020, 12:53   #1034

Boat: Venture 25 / Tayana 37

My wife and I totally understand that youtube channels are entertainment, and not real. Having said that, the we basically gave most channels we've come across a shot to see what they do. Most of them we...didn't like...at all.

The most popular and "Famous" ones turned us off horribly. I can't for the life of me see why anybody watches a bunch of smug, self absorbed, pretty people in bikinis and expensive yachts bitching about sailing.

We discovered that :
A. If it is a solo sailor, we probably enjoyed it - we like:
  • Erik Aanderaa
  • Adventures of an old sea dog
  • Sam Holmes
B. If they are actually sailing self sufficiently, on a tight budget, and fixing their boat as they sail, we generally liked it, but we found the personalities of the couples was what decided if we watched a second episode or not.
In no order particular we enjoy these channels:
  • Odd Life crafting
  • Free Range
  • Florence
  • Millennial Falcon
  • Atticus
  • Sailing GBU
  • Kittiwake - they're calling it quits and getting harder to watch, but it's a Tayana 37, so special dispensation...lol
C. We like finding people who really live and sail with pleasant dispositions and real knowledge - like Ran Sailing, Follow the boat, (Sailing Bohemia barely makes this list) and some of the previous channels also fall in this category - Erik Aanderaa is a little dramatic, but he's a bad ass, and Free Range is years of knowledge and experience having fun sailing.

There were a few we really wanted to like but simply did not - Uma, comes to mind immediately. We really wanted to like them as they do a lot of things we hope to do - specifically exploring the countries interiors by backpacking - but the channel is too slick and "commercial".

We watch a couple shows a week after I finish working and we sit together to eat and relax. Harmless escapism, really.
Old 12-12-2020, 22:00   #1035
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Tradrocket, you described perfectly what and who my wife and I enjoy watching on a Sunday night!
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard