Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30-09-2019, 10:33   #1

Boat: Beneteau
What size and type batteries do I need for a crossing.

Hi,

Just in the process of upgrading electrics onboard a 40’ cruiser for a planned Atlantic crossing this year and not really sure on the total capacity or type needed for this.Currently have 280Ah ( 2x 140) lead acid cells and it’s never really capable of running the AP for anything longer then an hour or so.

My usage is mainly autopilot between 2 and 8 amps depending on weather, fridge usually 7amps and some basic instruments and lights and device charging.

Have installed silentwind 400w and 440w solar which has helped a little but I’m concerned to total Ah storage is not sufficient.

If anyone’s does a similar trip and knows what’s works well or doesn’t, advice would be much appreciated.
sebathon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, size