Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 22:25   #1

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Batteries? We don't need no steenkin' batteries

Folks, your electrical supply worries are over:

[NOW AVAILABLE] TigerDirect.com - INTRODUCING THE WORLD'S FIRST HOME MINI-NUCLEAR GENERATOR

My only worry is that it isn't said to be marine quality, nor is it Lloyd's approved.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 03-04-2012, 23:44   #2

Boat: Leopard 43
I can't believe I just bought new batteries an solar panels. Between this and that magnet generator I see on the inter web, the utility company's must be shaking In their boots.
s/v Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:02   #3
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Batteries? We don't need no steenkin' batteries

What a great April Fool joke ad.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:20   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

I love the fact it " can generate 1000KHGz of power". I must get some of those HGz thingies.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 15:28   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I love the fact it " can generate 1000KHGz of power". I must get some of those HGz thingies.
Yeah, but I don't think that they will fit in my T-105s!

Jim
Old 04-04-2012, 15:32   #6

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Awesome ad!
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 15:56   #7

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

KILLAHELLAGIGAHERTZ!
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 16:13   #8
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
KILLAHELLAGIGAHERTZ!
Yeah, probably more KILLA than anything else.
Imagine trying to clear into NZ on an American yacht with your own private nuke genny on board. Forget the guns.....
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 18:24   #9

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Just think ya could mount it on the back deck and the robbers and bad guys see it and just leave !!! Real safety measure !! LOL
Old 04-04-2012, 19:05   #10

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

When we traveled in the Empty Quarter of Arabia in our Land Rovers, we visited a remote location that had nuclear powered batteries abandoned in a concrete block building. One of my friends was hired by the government to take geiger counters and measure the radiation level around and in the building. He sent some people into the building with geiger counters as he did not want to go inside himself. The building was radioactive.

Several years later, I met a friend who did not know about the radioactive site. He was caught in a dust storm, and sought shelter in the building for the night. The bedouins had removed all of the radioactive signs from the outside of the building, so that he did not know they were inside a radioactive structure. The last time I heard, the nuclear powered battery back was still there.

The battery pack had been placed initially to power a remote weather station.

Radioactive battery packs do exist. I am told that are found on some spacecraft.

Since Jim Cate is a retired physicist, you could comment on radioactive battery packs.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 19:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
When we traveled in the Empty Quarter of Arabia in our Land Rovers, we visited a remote location that had nuclear powered batteries abandoned in a concrete block building. One of my friends was hired by the government to take geiger counters and measure the radiation level around and in the building. He sent some people into the building with geiger counters as he did not want to go inside himself. The building was radioactive.

Several years later, I met a friend who did not know about the radioactive site. He was caught in a dust storm, and sought shelter in the building for the night. The bedouins had removed all of the radioactive signs from the outside of the building, so that he did not know they were inside a radioactive structure. The last time I heard, the nuclear powered battery back was still there.

The battery pack had been placed initially to power a remote weather station.

Radioactive battery packs do exist. I am told that are found on some spacecraft.

Since Jim Cate is a retired physicist, you could comment on radioactive battery packs.
Gee Dave, that was a long time ago! But, yeah, folks did use these things.
The ones that I was familiar with contained a LOT of Pu-238 which is a shorter half-life, non-fissile isotope of Pu. The Pu-238 undergoes an alpha decay, and due to the very short range of the alpha particles, all the decay energy ends op as heat in the package. There were big stacks of thermocouples in there too, and these converted the heat into electricity. There is no penetrating radiation associated with this decay, so in theory no external radiation hazard. In practice there was often some Am-241 associated with the mix, and that isotope produces a 60 Kev gamma ray, which while not very energetic, often caused some external exposure.

But, none of these processes would make the building radioactive. If the containment of the Pu in the battery was breached, then a serious contamination situation could arise, for gram-for-gram, the 238 is far more radioactive than "deadly Pu-239", so dear to the hearts of the media. I have no idea what your friend was sent to measure, but likely it wasn't a Geiger counter, for they are not useful to detect alpha contamination.

There! Aren't you sorry you asked?

Cheers,

Jim
Old 04-04-2012, 20:11   #12

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
The ones that I was familiar with contained a LOT of Pu-238 which is a shorter half-life, non-fissile isotope of Pu. The Pu-238 undergoes an alpha decay, and due to the very short range of the alpha particles, all the decay energy ends op as heat in the package. There were big stacks of thermocouples in there too, and these converted the heat into electricity. There is no penetrating radiation associated with this decay, so in theory no external radiation hazard. In practice there was often some Am-241 associated with the mix, and that isotope produces a 60 Kev gamma ray, which while not very energetic, often caused some external exposure.

But, none of these processes would make the building radioactive. If the containment of the Pu in the battery was breached, then a serious contamination situation could arise, for gram-for-gram, the 238 is far more radioactive than "deadly Pu-239", so dear to the hearts of the media. I have no idea what your friend was sent to measure, but likely it wasn't a Geiger counter, for they are not useful to detect alpha contamination.

Cheers,

Jim
Still in use today on the Voyageur spacecraft. In fact, any spacecraft going too far beyond the asteroids has no choice but to use one. No solar that far out and missions last decades, so you can't just use some sort of chemical fuel (you need all that for thrusters to orient your high gain antenna towards earth).
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 23:05   #13

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Cheers,

Jim
I am glad I asked. It would not surprise me if they had breached the containment because the bedouins are awesome scavengers of whatever they find "abandoned" in remote desert locations. The radiation signs and fence were gone, and if they could dismantle things on the inside of the containment area, it would probably be gone as well.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:00   #14

1.21 JIGGAWATTS? Mr. Fusion? Flux Capacitor?

Anyone? Anyone?
Zeke Zambella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 18:32   #15

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

have ya thought of the advantages to provisioning, just turn up the nukes and wait for the fishies to float past belly up...
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery