Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2024, 03:43   #1
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440
Ports of Entry Eastern Indonesia

So with New Cal going a bit tits up at the moment, my plans have to be altered.

I will now be heading up the coast of Queensland and I am looking for Ports of Entry into Indonesia from Papua (South Coast) heading West.

Any info would be appreciated
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2024, 04:09   #2

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Re: Ports of Entry Eastern Indonesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I will now be heading up the coast of Queensland and I am looking for Ports of Entry into Indonesia from Papua (South Coast) heading West.
I'm out of touch since Covid.

Last list of ports of entry I saw only had Raja Ampat as convenient to anyone voyaging from Aus. Saumlaki on Yamdena, one of my favourite ports of entry/exit, had disappeared from the list.

Entry procedures were becoming quite bureaucratic, to the point that cruisers were pushed into the hands of agents and treated as if they were commercial shipping. I guess that's been a trend in other jurisdictions too (including Australia).
Old 23-05-2024, 04:12   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Last list of ports of entry I saw only had Raja Ampat as convenient to anyone voyaging from Aus. Saumlaki on Yamdena, one of my favourite ports of entry/exit, had disappeared from the list.
Belay that!

My mate said she is sure that Saumlaki was still on the list of entry/exit ports about two years ago. Very welcoming place.
Old 23-05-2024, 06:24   #4

Quote:
My mate said she is sure that Saumlaki was still on the list of entry/exit ports about two years ago. Very welcoming place.
If I've chosen the correct adhesive, you'll find a pdf listing the 28 Indonesian entry/exit ports for yachts [kapal wisata] and cruise ships in 2022. I think, but am not sure, that one more port was added in 2023 to bring the total to 29. I've not heard whether the Ministry of Transport has modified the list in 2024.

I think, but again I'm not sure, that e-CAIT (electronic Clearance Approval for Indonesian Territory), pronounced e-Chait because in Bahasa Indonesia |c| has sound value equivalent to Bahasa Inggeris |ch|, is still in use. The URL was: https://e-cait.kemlu.go.id/#

I'll leave the pdf attached for no more than 24 hours. Don't be slow.
Old 23-05-2024, 06:28   #5

Quote:
I'll leave the pdf attached for no more than 24 hours. Don't be slow.
Sorry. Glue pot was empty. Here's a second try.
Old 23-05-2024, 13:56   #6
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Sorry. Glue pot was empty. Here's a second try.

Thanks Alan, That's all very Helpful
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2024, 15:26   #7

Boat: Nonsuch 30

We entered Indonesia (loved it btw) with the rally to avoid at least some of the incredible bureaucracy. The rally organized cruising permits (things of beauty with stamps from about six agencies). We got visas at the consulate in Darwin before leaving. We assumed (naively) that entry would be easy when we got to Timor. Three very friendly officials came out by boat to process us and then we assumed we were in, but they said to go to the building with the banners. In there, we were processed by 20(!) more officials from about six more agencies. Have lots of copies of boat reg and crew lists, and a boat stamp (we had one but had never used it). All these folks happily stamped forms (as did we) and gave use copies of numerous forms. They were all very pleasant to deal with, but at least they were all in one place because of the rally. When we were clearing out in Bali, I went to one office and the young official (they are all young) said he would take me to the harbourmaster's office. So off we went on his scooter. Great country, but bureaucracy is the national sport.
Old 23-05-2024, 17:37   #8

Quote:
If I've chosen the correct adhesive, you'll find a pdf listing the 28 Indonesian entry/exit ports for yachts [kapal wisata] and cruise ships in 2022. I think, but am not sure, that one more port was added in 2023 to bring the total to 29. I've not heard whether the Ministry of Transport has modified the list in 2024.
I spent time working through the document database of the Ministry of Transport of the Republic of Indonesia.

As I'd noted above, a 29th port of entry/exit was added, in May 2023. I've seen no changes in 2024 (meaning my search of the document database shows no newer document).

As other cruisers have noted, bureaucracy is the key to Indonesia (and France, and Australia, and ..... ). Having a printed or electronic copy of edicts and of course your CAIT, complete with the important signature and official stamp(s), can have surprising effects on officials. In the days of only paper CAIT documents, the 'effectiveness' of the CAIT was measured by how many chops (or stamps), each signifying assent from one agency.

See the attached Lampiran 1 from May 2023. If you need it, download a copy within the next 24 hours. The glue doesn't last.
Old 23-05-2024, 18:25   #9

Reference:

https://insightplus.bakermckenzie.co...onesian-waters

It appears that a B1 visa is for 30 days, but I have read that there are 60 day visas also.

https://evisa.imigrasi.go.id/web/visa-selection

Bon voyage.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2024, 20:46   #10

Boat: Outremer 55L

Coming from QLD or NT the first entry ports are Saumlaki and Tual (Saumlaki Immigration and Customs officials are sent from Tual). Tual is more used to boats and has had rallies clear in there and is a larger town with more services. Saumlaki is a junior port and less used to yachts and Western tourists. Very cool town though and a great introduction to Indonesia.

Some boats go all the way up to Ambon to clear into Indonesia, though that means you need to back track to visit the iconic Banda Islands. Ambon is the largest city in this part of Indonesia and has direct air connections to Jakarta. Lots of services and facilities and NZ/AUS dairy products.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Indonesia, ports