Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2011, 11:31   #1

Location: Northern Oklahoma - No sailable water for 1000 miles
Boat: Don't currently have one :-(
Send a message via Yahoo to set_sail Send a message via Skype™ to set_sail
Type and Size of Sailboat ?

I'm an aspiring sailor and I'm wondering what kind of boat and what size I need....I've done some research and i think a monohull would be better than a multihull. I think that a sailboat 27' or larger would be ideal. I want something that can sleep at least 4 or 5 people, is capable for bluewater sailing as well as coastal/intracoastal sailing, and that is easily maneuverable into most locations including getting as close to shore as possible. Also want something that could be learned rather easily and can be sailed by 1 or 2 people maximum.
set_sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 11:46   #2
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
will these be 2 couples? then you would need 2 doubles and maybe a settee or quarter birth unless someone is sleeping on floor or in cockpit. either way you are looking at over 30 maybe 35 feet. but learning a boat this size would be a challenge. sounds like you want a shoal draft around 4 or 4.5 feet and a mast height under 50 feet. all boats are a compromise so you will need to make a few. a 27 or 28 foot boat may be just what you need. take a look at the island packet 27.
Old 17-01-2011, 12:01   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
1000 miles from the sea try this

Manta Landsailers

Manta Landsailers

The single-seat WinJammer landsailer and the two-place TwinJammer landsailer are the land yachts that revolutionized landsailing. These wind powered vehicles use the materials and design concepts of ultra-light gliders, Manta has created landsailers so light, yet so rugged and potent. They give high performance landsailing on any hard, flat surface - your local parking lot, beach, dry lake bed, or field. Using the natural free energy of the wind, you can accelerate quickly to over twice the speed of the wind! The current landsailing speed record is 126.1 mph, set March 27th 2009 on the Ivanpah dry lake bed 45 minutes outside of Las Vegas.
The Manta can be set up for landsailing action in 5 minutes. The ultra-lightness is revolutionary because it permits exciting operation even in small areas. The WinJammer weighs just 70 lbs, with a fully battened sail of 45 sq/ft and a turning radius under 6 feet. The TwinJammer weighs 105 lbs, carries 59 sq/ft of sail and has a turning radius of 8.5 feet. The incredible acceleration and maneuverability let them make the most of any site.
For more information on the sport of landsailing please visit the North American Land Sailing Association and check out the article on landsailing and kite buggies in the Las Vegas View. For more pictures please visit our Landsailing Picture Gallery. Need TwinJammer parts or WinJammer parts for your Manta Landsailer? We can get them for you.
Manta Landsailing Video

Custom Sails and Sail Colors

The Manta WinJammer sail has four panels and you can choose any color for the top panel (A), while the rest of the sail panels will be white.
The Manta Twinjammer sail has five panels and you can choose any one color for the top two panels (A and B), while the rest of the sail panels will be white.
Custom sail colors are available for an addition fee of $50 to $100. If you are interested in custom colors, please let us know in the "Special Instructions" section on the order form when you place your order.
Tire Choice

You have three tire options including:
  • Standard: These 2 ply tires are a good all around choice.
  • Uni-Tires: This more durable 4 ply tire feature a knobby/block tread that has great traction is good for riding on grass or dry lakes.
  • Hi-Floats: Also a 4 ply tire that has a square shoulder and the widest contact patch with the ground. They work well on hard packed sand or the dry lakes (where some like the Hi-Floats because they are quieter).
Upgrades

Manta landsailers come complete. The only upgrades are a reinforced rear axle, a hex ratchet block and bracket. Both are strongly recommended.
Ordering and Shipping Information

To order a landsailer online please use the order form below or give us a call at 1-702-220-4340 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-702-220-4340 end_of_the_skype_highlighting.
Please note delivery time is 4-6 weeks as all landsailers are custom built to order.
Shipping to U.S. destinations costs approximately $65-$100. Please choose the shipping method "Landsailers" when placing your order online. Landsailers are too large to ship via UPS, we will contact you to arrange shipping methods.
Shipping fees are not paid directly to us but to the carrier on delivery. We will not charge you the shipping fees you see in the shopping cart when you place your order, this is used only to give you an estimate of the total cost.
A 50% deposit is required for all landsailer purchases, with the remaining balance due before we ship the landsailer to you. We will confirm all landsailer orders via e-mail or phone call before charging your card.

Manta WinJammer (Single Seat) - Place Order Here

Manta WinJammer $1725
Manta WinJammer w/ Axle, Hex Rachet Block & Bracket Upgrades $1875
Manta WinJammer Tire Selection

Standard Tires Included
Uni Tire Upgrade $50
Hi Float Tire Upgrade $50
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 12:05   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
will these be 2 couples? then you would need 2 doubles and maybe a settee or quarter birth unless someone is sleeping on floor or in cockpit. either way you are looking at over 30 maybe 35 feet. but learning a boat this size would be a challenge. sounds like you want a shoal draft around 4 or 4.5 feet and a mast height under 50 feet. all boats are a compromise so you will need to make a few. a 27 or 28 foot boat may be just what you need. take a look at the island packet 27.
Well right now its just me, but that could change and I just want to have room for extras. In case of someday having kids, or visitors, or pets. Just want the room. I'll look at the Island Packet 27, but I will keep in mind boats up to 35
Old 17-01-2011, 13:14   #5

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by set_sail View Post
Well right now its just me, but that could change and I just want to have room for extras. In case of someday having kids, or visitors, or pets. Just want the room. I'll look at the Island Packet 27, but I will keep in mind boats up to 35
I'd use : SailboatData.com - sailboat database with specifications, drawings and photos, more than 8000 listings

to look at various boat designs and layouts. You can search by manufacture, lOA, etc.

I looked at an Islander Bahama 30' that meets most of your requirement. 2 in masters stateroom, 2 on dinette, 1 in quarter berth.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 13:28   #6

Boat: Catalina 27 - Handyman NO# 1229771
Send a message via MSN to tallyhorob
Quote:
Your first boat you buy will not be your last, ask almost anyone. So get what you need now learn it enjoy it and upgrade if and when the time comes, that way the second more costly boat you buy will be with a lot of hands on knowledge from you and on what you feel you need next instead of planning for everything now.
tallyhorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 13:39   #7

So you think with a 27' sailboat of some kind, I could get what i need to learn and do some sailing, then I could trade up?

Another question, which is better, Ketch or Sloop. What are pros/cons of each?
Old 17-01-2011, 15:15   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
If you can, try sailing with some others or chartering.

My wife and I just bought a boat a boat in a Charter program and we are going to take advantage of using as many other boats as we can just to get a good feel for different boats and what we'll want eventually. We figure the more we can try, the more we'll know about what we like, don't like and require.

So I'd suggest trying as much as you can so you can better know what you want.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 15:40   #9

Boat: a sailing boat
I do not think a 27' is big enough for bluewater with 5 onboard. We sailed just the two of us and it was very intimate.

I think it takes a +34' for the crew of 4.

Learning probably easier and faster on a cat than on a mono. Getting close up to the land, etc.. too.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 15:50   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Learning probably easier and faster on a cat than on a mono. Getting close up to the land, etc.. too.
b.
Thats a nice advantage... taking a cat through the Med last year I ran for a bay in Minorca as the wind was getting up a tad and it was getting dark... got in to find it heaving with mono's... but no worries... snaked my way through and anchored between them and the beach in 2-3 metres off water... white sand.... lovely spot.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 21:51   #11

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Quote:
I'm an aspiring sailor and I'm wondering what kind of boat and what size I need....I've done some research and i think a monohull would be better than a multihull. I think that a sailboat 27' or larger would be ideal. I want something that can sleep at least 4 or 5 people, is capable for bluewater sailing as well as coastal/intracoastal sailing, and that is easily maneuverable into most locations including getting as close to shore as possible. Also want something that could be learned rather easily and can be sailed by 1 or 2 people maximum.
As tallyhorob says, your first boat will not be your last. With that in mind get a boat that fits your circumstances right now.

Those circumstances would be:
A) Want to learn to sail
B) Northern OK, which is not really a 1000mi from sailable water, but then again there isn't anything big enough to be interesting for more than a couple days or a week.

In keeping with B) the boat should be trailerable or cartop-able.
In keeping with A) it should be cheap and rigged fairly simply.
-Cheap because the reality is once you get into sailing you may not really like it as much as you thought, as a sailing instructor for more than 20yr I saw a lot of people get in and bail back out within 2 or 3 lessons. There are two ways to play that, one is that cheap lets you back out of a wrong decision more easily. Expensive motivates you to stay with the sport long enough to get better at it, at which point you might like it more. You need to decide how much you want to spend and how to keep yourself motivated.
-Simply rigged means you spend more time learning to sail and less time setting up and putting away.

My reccommendations would go like this:
1. Laser, cartop-able or trailerable with any vehicle bigger than a motorcycle, SMART cars included, 30min max set up and takedown, easy to store, $1-2k used, good resale, easy to fix most problems, maker still in business so parts are available, really good boat to learn on. Downside is you will get wet a lot before you get good and only one person at a time.
2. LaserII/420/470/FJ/..., Trailerable by any car, quick set up and takedown, $1.5-4k used, makers still in business, good boats to learn on, room for 2 maybe 3, storage isn't too bad. Downside is you still get wet, need the second person in all but light-moderate winds, depending on how heavy you are.
3. Holder 20, Trailerable by most cars (1400lb or so w/ trailer), moderately easy setup, $2-5k used, can sail singlehanded in all but heavy winds, can carry 5 or 6 depending on how cozy you can get and how heavy the winds are, "won't" capsize, cuddy cabin so you and a guest can stay on the boat overnight, retractible keel, made by Hobie so parts may still be available, though out of production for a while. Downside: storage is getting harder.
4. Santana 20 Similar to Holder except 200-300lb heavier so tow vehicle required is getting bigger and maker is probably out of business. Fixed keel making boat ride higher on trailer and needs deeper water to launch.
5. Tempest Similar to Holder,1200lb or so with trailer. $1-3k used, makers still in business. Downside: No cabin so you have to rig a tarp to sleep out, some boats have fixed keelsm, makers are in Europe.
6a. Cal20 Real cabin, sleeps 4, could go offshore in a pinch with a lot of prep, Cal is out of business but Seals Spars is still providing good support for the class. Downside: 1950lb + trailer, fixed keel
6b. Catalina22 Real cabin, sleeps 5, swing keel, Catalina is still in business and this boat is still in production though an upgraded version. Downside: 2490lb + trailer
7. Cal25 Real cabin, sleeps 4-5, could go offshore in a pinch with a lot of prep, poptop for headroom at anchor, Cal is out of business but Seals Spars is still providing good support for the class. Downside: 4000lb + trailer, fixed keel.

LASER (INTERNATIONAL) Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
LASER 2 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
HOLDER 20 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
SANTANA 20 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
TEMPEST (INTERNATIONAL) Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
CAL 20 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
CATALINA 22 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
CAL 25 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com

If you aren't going to go the getting wet a lot while learning to sail route (dinghies are the best way to learn to SAIL, as opposed to all the other cruising things like anchoring, navigating ....), then I would say go for the Holder. It's not too expensive to start with, cabin for overnighting, drop keel so launching easier, light enough you probably won't have to upgrade your vehicle, just get a tow package (you-install tow packages including
wiring will run you about $500-600).

With a trailerable boat you can learn to sail on lakes close to home, then start trekking out to the Gulf for long weekends or longer vacations. Once you've done that you will have a better idea what you want to do on the water and the kind of boat you need.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 22:13   #12

I guess I should have given more detail. I'm not planning (or able) to buy anything until after I move back to Texas. I want a monohull. My questions for size have been fairly week answered, so now I would like to know what is the best hull material? Ketch, sloop, or yawl? I've seen some ketch and yawl sailboats that look really nice, but what's the pros and cons? I realize they are more complicated...
Old 17-01-2011, 22:59   #13
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by set_sail
I guess I should have given more detail. I'm not planning (or able) to buy anything until after I move back to Texas. I want a monohull. My questions for size have been fairly week answered, so now I would like to know what is the best hull material? Ketch, sloop, or yawl? I've seen some ketch and yawl sailboats that look really nice, but what's the pros and cons? I realize they are more complicated...
Go sailing and you'll realise why you won't then ask these types of questions. There are very few " pros and cons" in sailing , there are huge personal preferences.

Adeile, I would disagree that learning to sail via the dinghy route is the best way , it's ONE. way not the best way. I'm a keel boat instructor and I disagree, learning on a keel boat means that you focus on the sailing not worrying about getting wet.

Dave
Old 18-01-2011, 00:13   #14

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
In your 27-35 foot range, I don't think there is an advantage to more than one mast. Almost all boats in that range are sloops. I've never seen one, but it sounds like a Shoalwater might fit your qualifications, or the Island Packet, or a Mcgregor, then you could waterski when you get crew! I hate to even bring up materials here, but most of your choices will be fiberglass, which has always done right by me.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 01:59   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to DannySt
a nice beneteau or a Jeanneau in the 33 range can be ideal for you. cheep, very good accommodations and easy to learn as a first boat. will be able to host 4 to 6 people comfortably.
Draft may be an issue but the closer you get to the beach, the harder the waves are breaking.

If you are just looking for a first boat to find your way in the sailing world, you might want to have a look at this movie:
Hold Fast on Vimeo
DannySt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat