Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2021, 08:36   #226

Boat: J/88
Re: "Evicted": Marina Won't Renew Contract for Next Year to maximize Profit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Well, yes it is; it's the acid test of progress. Are prospects generally better for our kids than they were for us? If not, something's broken. We've robbed from their future to enrich ourselves today.

The trades in general pay... ok, but not usually buy a yacht ok. [/URL]. And prestige.
So I guess the question would be; Did people in the glory years you refer to who could buy houses have the ability to buy yachts? An average electrician where I live is making low 6 figures without being anything but an electrician. The troubling part is looking at the future since the current trade unions are working hard here to prevent the growth of apprentice roles which inevitably means we will not have enough tradesmen when the current ones retire. For some of these reasons houses are less affordable than they might be and the trend is not good in that respect.
Old 23-09-2021, 08:42   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
You must not deal with many in the skilled trades. The ones I work with make really good money...as in $80-120k base pay.
Top end, union... and $80k isn't "really good money" in most major cities. Twerps with finance degrees start at 6 figures.
Quote:
Physical problems are usually more associated with unskilled labor...as are unemployment and lower wages.
I know enough mechanics, electricians, plumbers etc who will tell you otherwise.
Quote:
Of course, your link oversimplifies. A college education in a useless major won't gain you near as much income or protection from unemployment and a skilled trade will gain you far more income and protection from unemployment relative to an unskilled laborer.
There are many useful majors. Concentrating on a few selected artsy-fartsy ones doesn't tell the story, but makes for good yuks when slagging higher education.
Old 23-09-2021, 08:55   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstanford View Post
So I guess the question would be; Did people in the glory years you refer to who could buy houses have the ability to buy yachts?
There were a lot of fishing boats, cottages, hunting cabins, RVs etc owned by that class. So, yeah they probably could have swung a used yacht if they were so inclined.

Quote:
An average electrician where I live is making low 6 figures without being anything but an electrician. The troubling part is looking at the future since the current trade unions are working hard here to prevent the growth of apprentice roles...
Again, you're talking a union guy, I bet. Link about the apprenticeships? And apprenticeships require the agreement from employers to accept, train and pay apprentices.

Quote:
...which inevitably means we will not have enough tradesmen when the current ones retire.
As a person who's done both "professional" work and "trade" work, I found that the step-down in peoples' eyes was harder to take than the lower pay. Until there's some respect and dignity for everyone who works, trades and other service jobs will remain harder to fill.
Old 23-09-2021, 08:59   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
Correction: The luxury tax was imposed by President George H.W. Bush, Reagan's former VP. It was repealed in the early '90s.
Damn tax and spend liberals.
Old 23-09-2021, 09:15   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinarius View Post
When looking, I also found marinas in the NE that cater to service+storage/mooring only clients. It said so in their mooring contract, and calls from a DIY owner don't get returned. That is a valid business model I suppose, but not my cup of tea.

But it seems to me that if the cost of mooring is going to double or triple (my estimate based on my research) due to the annual maintenance bill, then a lot of older less valuable boats will become uneconomic to keep, and may end up being recycled (some rightfully so I might add).

The result could be lower demand for slips and thus, lower slip prices.
I think you're right about the price increases but am less convince in the lower price/lower demand prediction. As I posted previously, it seems to me that once aggregators like Safe Harbor get enough mass to be interesting they also become ripe for buyout by investment funds. That is already occurring in the mobile home park business. There, once the "Mom/Pop" and we're all "parkies in it together" mentality get erased rents can go up. Like boats aren't attached to the dock by more than dock lines and an annual contract, mobile homes are also not a part of the land: both are personal property subject to removal by force of law and/or profit motive. If the new model doesn't work, so be it, the investors back stop was the developable land. I'm thinking there are a few iterations beyond DIY dockage a marina can go through without losing the investment.
Old 23-09-2021, 09:21   #231

Boat: Norseman 447

You can see the trend in a number of posts. The complaint that people "aren’t being paid enough." Of course they’re not. When the trend started to convert to a "post-industrial economy" where nobody had to work those boring, repetitive, dead-end production line jobs. We were going to have a "service economy" where everybody would be a college-educated, clean-hands "professional." Now, suddenly, we find that burger flippers, aroma therapists, personal trainers , delivery drivers and social workers are infinitely fungible commodities and not worth very much in the labor market. Todays news story about PhD social workers with $200k in student loans who can’t get a job. If you think it’s just the evil, greedy, grasping capitalists, who don’t "value" working-people, look at Democratic governor NY telling nurses that they’re "replaceable" if they won’t get a COVID shot. People who have no saleable skills aren’t worth much in the job market.
Old 23-09-2021, 09:43   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
You can see the trend in a number of posts. The complaint that people "aren’t being paid enough." Of course they’re not. When the trend started to convert to a "post-industrial economy" where nobody had to work those boring, repetitive, dead-end production line jobs. We were going to have a "service economy" where everybody would be a college-educated, clean-hands "professional." Now, suddenly, we find that burger flippers, aroma therapists, personal trainers , delivery drivers and social workers are infinitely fungible commodities and not worth very much in the labor market. Todays news story about PhD social workers with $200k in student loans who can’t get a job. If you think it’s just the evil, greedy, grasping capitalists, who don’t "value" working-people, look at Democratic governor NY telling nurses that they’re "replaceable" if they won’t get a COVID shot. People who have no saleable skills aren’t worth much in the job market.
Nurses are anything but not valuable in the job market. I have friends who gave up being EMT's for Nursing school because of the demand and portability.

Of course, while there are an astonishing number of people who would object to getting mouth to mouth resuscitation from a nurse just in from Gambia who wasn't vaccinated against yellow fever, when it comes to Covid the standards are suddenly different. So those if those nurses don't want to get the latest Coast Guard required safety equipment then their boats ought to floating somewhere else.
Old 23-09-2021, 09:47   #233

Boat: J/88

Quote:
It is hard to argue your points, and it is a distressing trend when I think of the prospects for my kids and grandkids. The other trend I believe will emerge, if it hasn't already, will be the premium we will have to pay to have someone get dirty hands. As the demographics change we are having more relatively affluent boomers prepared to pay to have dirty jobs done and fewer people willing or able to do them.

As a businessperson, I have been focussing for the last decade on building a valued and skilled work force and finding ways I can add value to the things my clients want. Consumers don't want to pay for strategists and brokers when they feel that is the work they want to do so why should they pay for it. They will pay for me to take a piece of lumber and turn it into something they want....as long as I can do it cheaper than the Asian manufacturers in some cases!
Old 23-09-2021, 10:28   #234

Quote:
Top end, union... and $80k isn't "really good money" in most major cities. Twerps with finance degrees start at 6 figures.
I know enough mechanics, electricians, plumbers etc who will tell you otherwise.

There are many useful majors. Concentrating on a few selected artsy-fartsy ones doesn't tell the story, but makes for good yuks when slagging higher education.
$80-120k is double the national average, so certainly most reasonable people would call that good money. This isn't in NYC or SanFran, I would expect in those areas, it would be even higher. Also the folks I know are a mix of union and non-union...not unusually high status.

The problem is finance degrees don't fall under... those "artsy-fartsy" majors. Those "artsy-fartsy" majors have become an ever larger percentage of college grads...higher education has it's place but BS about putting out a well rounded individual is just educators justifying their high tuition.
Old 23-09-2021, 10:31   #235

Ixnax — I think you missed my point. When the Democratic governor of NY, who "supports working people," where they’re in a "health care crisis," where there are endless stories from "overworked" health care workers, says, point blank, "you’re replaceable if you don’t do what you’re told," then the labor problem isn’t just caused by greedy capitalists.

WRT the unvaccinated nurse giving CPR, if one is stupid enough to worry more about the potential of maybe getting an unpleasant disease sometime in the future, rather than getting CPR to prevent you checking out in the next few minutes, they’ll deserve what they get.
Old 23-09-2021, 11:18   #236

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
I mostly object to the implication that everyone must work more than a 40 hour/5 day week, else they deserve to fail. Why are things backsliding for the average worker, instead of all boats raised by this ever-rising economic tide? Why does it take 2 salaries and daycare to raise a kid?

People are compensated for the problems they solve.

It takes two salaries to raise a kid because the house has to be three times the size of that owned by grandpa and grandma, need two autos both of which over $50,000 each, vacations aren't camping it's Westin, the darned credit car balance won't go away, and both healthcare and taxes are astronomical.

Nobody has to work 40 hours a week. But they'd better be damned good at something that not everyone can do, and which is desired. That supply/ demand thing, ya know?

Going back to the OP who is no longer wanted, I wonder if their skills are in demand and they work(ed) 40 hours/week, or if there's a correlation to why they're no longer wanted.
Old 23-09-2021, 11:31   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
People are compensated for the problems they solve.

It takes two salaries to raise a kid because the house has to be three times the size of that owned by grandpa and grandma, need two autos both of which over $50,000 each, vacations aren't camping it's Westin, the darned credit car balance won't go away, and both healthcare and taxes are astronomical.

Nobody has to work 40 hours a week. But they'd better be damned good at something that not everyone can do, and which is desired. That supply/ demand thing, ya know?
You might have missed my point there, which is that there's some insinuation here that if someone isn't pulling all the overtime they can, or working two jobs, or starting businesses... then they're just slackin'.

And I've shown the stats that point out how millenials aren't doing as well as we did at the same age. So either they're mostly all overspending overeducated spoilt brats... or opportunities are worse for them than they were for us. This is progress?

You might have heard of that rising inequality thing...

Anyway, I think this particular chewing gum has now lost its flavour for most people; we should stick with the marina thing here.
Old 23-09-2021, 11:39   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
$80-120k is double the national average, so certainly most reasonable people would call that good money.
I did say "really good".

Quote:
The problem is finance degrees don't fall under... those "artsy-fartsy" majors. Those "artsy-fartsy" majors have become an ever larger percentage of college grads...

Gotta cite for that?
Old 23-09-2021, 11:49   #239

Opportunities are what one makes of them. If you want a high-paying job, find a skill that produces more for your employer than it costs to keep you. When one adds value to the job, employers will work hard to retain you. If there’s a line of people able and waiting to fill your job, you’re not even cannon fodder. Don’t have enough money? Give up Netflix; pay less and use the time for something useful. Take a thermos of coffee to work while you avoid Starbucks. Cook a meal rather than calling GrubHub on your $1000 iPhone. Live within your income rather than financing your lifestyle on credit cards. When 50% of the people can’t cover a $400 emergency, it isn’t the fault of the system.
Old 23-09-2021, 12:13   #240

Quote:
Opportunities are what one makes of them. If you want a high-paying job, find a skill that produces more for your employer than it costs to keep you. When one adds value to the job, employers will work hard to retain you. If there’s a line of people able and waiting to fill your job, you’re not even cannon fodder. Don’t have enough money? Give up Netflix; pay less and use the time for something useful. Take a thermos of coffee to work while you avoid Starbucks. Cook a meal rather than calling GrubHub on your $1000 iPhone. Live within your income rather than financing your lifestyle on credit cards. When 50% of the people can’t cover a $400 emergency, it isn’t the fault of the system.
"Bah. Kids have it soooo easy. I walked 10 miles to school every day, uphill BOTH ways. We didn't have smartphones, noooo. When we wanted to chat with our friends, we marched up a hill with our flags and used semaphore!"

Kids These Days Have It Too Easy, Says Generation Who Destroyed Economy
Closed Thread

Tags
contract, maxi