Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2021, 12:23   #241

Boat: J/88
Re: "Evicted": Marina Won't Renew Contract for Next Year to maximize Profit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
"Bah. Kids have it soooo easy. I walked 10 miles to school every day, uphill BOTH ways. We didn't have smartphones, noooo. When we wanted to chat with our friends, we marched up a hill with our flags and used semaphore!"

Kids These Days Have It Too Easy, Says Generation Who Destroyed Economy

In all sincerity, how did we ruin the economy? My significant concern is that we are ruining the future economy by deficit financing our way through so many social programs, but I have a hard time imagining I/we have done anything any other generation would not do in our circumstances.
Old 23-09-2021, 12:29   #242

Boat: Norseman 447

Who’s talking about kids? I’m talking about "adults" who have no savings and can’t cover the cost when the car tires wear out. And it’s not just the "poor." I had a friend who worked in a high paying tech job. His wife was a consultant for a big firm. $400k/year between them. Big fancy house in Marin country. Two Mercedes SUVs. Both ended up unemployed in one of the periodic downturns. What did they do when they were suddenly unemployed? Took a $30k diving vacation to Australia. Borrowed against their iRAs to support their lifestyle. Ended up broke. It’s the attitude that keeps people poor, not the system.
Old 23-09-2021, 12:33   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstanford View Post
In all sincerity, how did we ruin the economy? My significant concern is that we are ruining the future economy by deficit financing our way through so many social programs, but I have a hard time imagining I/we have done anything any other generation would not do in our circumstances.
The answer is in your question. Who has been in control? Who has devalued labour? Who has deficit-financed... everything? Who made this mess, if not us, the older generation?

btw I don't consider the economy ruined... yet. Precarious, yes.
Old 23-09-2021, 13:49   #244

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
I did say "really good".

Gotta cite for that?
Google may not be your friend but it’s easy to use.

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator/cta
Old 23-09-2021, 14:22   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Google may not be your friend but it’s easy to use.

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator/cta
Google and I are good friends, but thanks anyway. Great link. It doesn't clearly flag the "useless" subjects, though, and how badly their graduates do in life.
Old 23-09-2021, 14:22   #246

Boat: J/88

Quote:
The answer is in your question. Who has been in control? Who has devalued labour? Who has deficit-financed... everything? Who made this mess, if not us, the older generation?

btw I don't consider the economy ruined... yet. Precarious, yes.
Generalizing, sorry, the millennial generation places less value on labour than any generation I have known. Look at the things like Amazon, Uber, and any other thing that reduces their cost and you will see no respect for the people delivering the services to them.
Old 23-09-2021, 14:56   #247

Quote:
Generalizing, sorry, the millennial generation places less value on labour than any generation I have known. Look at the things like Amazon, Uber, and any other thing that reduces their cost and you will see no respect for the people delivering the services to them.
Fair point... but every generation grabs onto new/better/cheaper as soon as it comes along... can't blame folks for that. Should we feel sorry for all the horses, stablehands, buggy-whip makers that the auto displaced? Musicians displaced by records and radio?

The devaluation of labour that counts most came from the accounting dept and the big corner offices. If the pay and conditions have deteriorated, is it any wonder that millenials would shun such jobs?

Watching the current hospitality staff shortages with great interest. Some companies have had to resort to -gasp- offering better pay. Wow, genius.
Old 23-09-2021, 16:44   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I believe the Florida " luxury" tax came about some time in the late 80's...then repealed...see below

LUXURY TAX REPEAL A LONG TIME COMING - Sun Sentinelhttps://www.sun-sentinel.com › fl-xpm-1992-07-07-92...
Gotta love it when someone can't be bothered to read their own link they posted! The article you linked to describes the federal tax from the 1990s, as we all just described!
Old 23-09-2021, 16:45   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
Ixnax — I think you missed my point. When the Democratic governor of NY, who "supports working people," where they’re in a "health care crisis," where there are endless stories from "overworked" health care workers, says, point blank, "you’re replaceable if you don’t do what you’re told," then the labor problem isn’t just caused by greedy capitalists.

WRT the unvaccinated nurse giving CPR, if one is stupid enough to worry more about the potential of maybe getting an unpleasant disease sometime in the future, rather than getting CPR to prevent you checking out in the next few minutes, they’ll deserve what they get.
Byrick, accuracy is critical when making attributions. I was unable to find the quote you attributed to Gov. Hochul, to wit: "you’re replaceable if you don’t do what you’re told,".

I did, however, find the following quotes: "To those who won’t, we will be replacing people." and "those who refuse, we will find replacements." Some may want to believe those are the same thing but they are not.

Beyond any of that, I think all reasonable people will agree that no one is actually irreplaceable in any job. In my own small world I let someone go last week who was excellent at the job but had a difficult time with certain procedures that are bright line issues and of which they were fully cognizant. Sometimes you need to make decisions for everyone. Just the way it is.
Old 23-09-2021, 17:02   #250
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

love it when someone can't be bothered to read their own link they posted! The article you linked to describes the federal tax from the 1990s, as we all just described!

.....guess I'm just not as smart as you are....
Old 24-09-2021, 05:10   #251

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Actually I believe its that they place less value on money. $25 Uber eats, $5-8 Starbucks, $150 a month cell bills, all adds up. I see it all the time with the millennials where I work. They all complain about being broke (and at very well paying jobs) but think nothing about getting McD's through Uber eats, which turns a $12 "combo" in to a $25+ lunch and they do it regularly! All while dreaming that their first car will be a tesla. These generations have ongoing expenses at a much higher rate than previous generations and they are conditioned to think that $150 a month on cell plans, $300+ a month on uber eats + Ubers to get around +++ are all "Normal expenses"

They're for sure getting a rough ride trying to buy a first house when an average detached home is reaching close to $1m.

My Gen (Gen X) didn't have those extra regular expenses (we also had $6 min wage and Boomers who were all supposed to retire at 55, that didn't)
Old 24-09-2021, 05:13   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
love it when someone can't be bothered to read their own link they posted! The article you linked to describes the federal tax from the 1990s, as we all just described!

.....guess I'm just not as smart as you are....
Not sure what you mean by that, can you expand on what you were trying to say there?
Old 24-09-2021, 06:27   #253
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

It is a 10 percent tax on the portion of the sales prices of boats over $100,000; planes over $250,000, furs and jewelry over $10,000, and autos over $30,000.

The tax, in effect, is a sales tax, one of the few federal sales taxes on items other than tobacco, alcohol and other minor sins. Maybe the luxury tax should have been called an ostentation tax, making it clear that high-living rather than riches was being taxed.

RICH PEOPLE STOPPED BUYING BOATS

The problem is that about the time the tax went into effect, boat sales dropped lower than a deep-water anchor.

this is an excerpt from that article...true...it was a Federal Tax.....but the point I was trying to make how it clobbered the boating industry, especially in Florida, which took years to regain it's footing...
Old 24-09-2021, 06:33   #254

Boat: Norseman 447

A distinction without a difference. What the meaning of the word "is" is. The NY governor wants people to do what their told, no matter how many hairs you try to split. Note the recent Supreme Court decision where a Texas hospital can also fire people who don’t get vaccinated. It’s not the replacement that’s the problem, it’s the rhetoric about how the Democratic politicians just love the "working people" until the working people decide not to obey. In 2010, when the Dems were trying to pass ACÁ, we heard all about how "health care is a human right." Now, you see musings about "maybe we should restrict/reduce/ration healthcare for the unvaccinated."
Old 24-09-2021, 06:34   #255

Boat: I have just purchased a 2009 49 Beneteau named Paradise II
Send a message via AIM to Big Moe Send a message via Yahoo to Big Moe

Your only option is to offer them more money! We just got a raise and we have no option but to pay. Wages and insurance are rising!
Closed Thread

Tags
contract, maxi