Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2024, 19:08   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Beta 25 heat exchange question

Has anyone ever dealt with trying to replace o rings on a tubestack on one of these? I’m king of stumped. It just keeps leaking coolant and I get can’t get a prime on my raw water intake. I’m just flummoxed as to how this thing even works. Do the o rings go outside of the housing or do they go inside where the tube stack meets up with the end cap?

I am talking about a beta 25 with the single bolts that go through the end caps and the anode is on the aft end cap. Help!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0641.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	324.9 KB
ID:	290134   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0640.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	290135  

Old 21-05-2024, 19:23   #2

Boat: Hullmaster 27
Re: Beta 25 heat exchange question

My beta 16 has 3 bolts on the end caps, but otherwise is probably similar ... if so ...

The o-rings should sit snuggly on the protruding ends of the tubestack, and mate with a groove in the end-caps, and be compressed against the body of the heat exchanger. it's quite possible to not get the o-rings seated properly as I tighten the bolts up, and then everything leaks, but usually it goes ok.

edit ... I think there's a groove in the end cap ... but either way it has to seat properly here.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2024, 20:37   #3

Call Beta. They are really helpful and will help you figure it out. If you can still read the sticker, try to have the engine# ready when you call.
jeffandlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2024, 02:08   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
My beta 16 has 3 bolts on the end caps, but otherwise is probably similar ... if so ...

The o-rings should sit snuggly on the protruding ends of the tubestack, and mate with a groove in the end-caps, and be compressed against the body of the heat exchanger. it's quite possible to not get the o-rings seated properly as I tighten the bolts up, and then everything leaks, but usually it goes ok.

edit ... I think there's a groove in the end cap ... but either way it has to seat properly here.
So basically where the arrow is in the picture i posted?
Old 22-05-2024, 03:11   #5

Boat: C&C 34

The aft end cap does not look tightened up all the way. The aft end cap and tube stack were probably not properly aligned correctly. They need to be installed a certain way to allow the o-rings to be compressed.

If you look at the tube stack you will see one end has notches in the raised area near the bolt hoses on the end, that end goes towards the back end with the end cap that has the zinc and hose fittings.

To install put in the tube stack first, then hold it in place with an o-ring on each side. The tube stack should rest on two machined sections of the heat exchanger housing, this is where the O-ring sealing happens. Once that is done line up the rear end cap with the tube stack notches (which should be close to horizontal). Install the bolt and turn until it contacts the surface of the end cap. Be careful not to pull on the tube stack as it can easily move aft and out of position at this point (if it does start over). Put on the forward end cap with bolt and finger tight. Once both end caps are on snug up the bolts a bit. At this point you should be able to turn the whole assembly in the heat exchanger housing to line it up with the hoses. Once positioned torque the bolts good and tight. It should not rotate one the bolts are fully torqued.

Good luck.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2024, 10:32   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie91 View Post
The aft end cap does not look tightened up all the way. The aft end cap and tube stack were probably not properly aligned correctly. They need to be installed a certain way to allow the o-rings to be compressed.

If you look at the tube stack you will see one end has notches in the raised area near the bolt hoses on the end, that end goes towards the back end with the end cap that has the zinc and hose fittings.

To install put in the tube stack first, then hold it in place with an o-ring on each side. The tube stack should rest on two machined sections of the heat exchanger housing, this is where the O-ring sealing happens. Once that is done line up the rear end cap with the tube stack notches (which should be close to horizontal). Install the bolt and turn until it contacts the surface of the end cap. Be careful not to pull on the tube stack as it can easily move aft and out of position at this point (if it does start over). Put on the forward end cap with bolt and finger tight. Once both end caps are on snug up the bolts a bit. At this point you should be able to turn the whole assembly in the heat exchanger housing to line it up with the hoses. Once positioned torque the bolts good and tight. It should not rotate one the bolts are fully torqued.

Good luck.
Thank you!!
Old 22-05-2024, 13:09   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie91 View Post

Good luck.
That did it by the way. You can see why they switch to the three bolt model. What a stupid design. thanks again!