Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2021, 15:52   #1

"Evicted": Marina Won't Renew Contract for Next Year to maximize Profit

I'm quite shocked. Our marina here in the North East (Cape Cod/Buzzard's Bay) just informed us that they won't renew our contract for next year. We have been with them for two years.

After giving all sorts of vague reasons they finally admitted that they are a "Full Service Marina" and that they prefer customers that use all their services such as the yard, winter storage, detailing service (!) etc. I pressed the dockmaster quite a bit and I don't think he meant to admit this.

I do all my own work ... both because I am able to and because I enjoy doing it myself ... and we winter-store out boat with a yard that lets me go to the boat in the winter to do work on it. (Our marina won't even let us put our canvas cover on ourselves once it is out of the water.)

I'm just floored that they could and actually would do that. We're now scrambling because no marina currently knows if they have space next year. Quite a terrifying thought not to be able to get a marina slip next year.

Is it possible that the pandemic has created such a demand for slips that marinas can now profiteer from the situation and they try to upgrade to "full service" customers?!
Old 17-09-2021, 16:30   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: "Evicted": Marina Won't Renew Contract for Next Year to maximize Profit

Mine just raised slip rate from $675/month to $910 and with a 6-10 year waitlist they ain't shy about saying "Don't let the door hit you on the way out if you don't like it."
Old 17-09-2021, 16:37   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

Sounds like capitalism operating as designed.
Old 17-09-2021, 16:37   #4

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokay View Post
I'm quite shocked. Our marina here in the North East (Cape Cod/Buzzard's Bay) just informed us that they won't renew our contract for next year. We have been with them for two years.

After giving all sorts of vague reasons they finally admitted that they are a "Full Service Marina" and that they prefer customers that use all their services such as the yard, winter storage, detailing service (!) etc. I pressed the dockmaster quite a bit and I don't think he meant to admit this.

I do all my own work ... both because I am able to and because I enjoy doing it myself ... and we winter-store out boat with a yard that lets me go to the boat in the winter to do work on it. (Our marina won't even let us put our canvas cover on ourselves once it is out of the water.)

I'm just floored that they could and actually would do that. We're now scrambling because no marina currently knows if they have space next year. Quite a terrifying thought not to be able to get a marina slip next year.

Is it possible that the pandemic has created such a demand for slips that marinas can now profiteer from the situation and they try to upgrade to "full service" customers?!
There is always a marina for you. We are very fortunate to have options. Is it onset? Go to maybe new bedford, mettapoissett, marion. Fortunately you have only been there 2 years and you are still fresh in terms of looking. I am in a very small marina in Warren, RI. Year 4 ready passed by. Mine went up 100 to 110 per foot.
Old 17-09-2021, 16:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Sounds like capitalism operating as designed.
You beat me to it... was just typing this out!
Old 17-09-2021, 16:57   #6

If there are more boats looking for slips that there are slips available, I wonder what alternative method of allocating the scarce resource would you prefer if not raising the price?

In recent times, nobody has been building marinas because the waterfront land is worth more doing other things. Maybe a rise in marina rents will keep the slips we have from being converted into condos….
Old 17-09-2021, 17:33   #7

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

You are victim of a trend: Wealthy will take what they want and the rest of us get what we are given.

In this case waterfront has a higher value to those who wish to develop it for profit than it does for marina owners. It is more profitable as waterfront condos than marinas. Profit rules. The marina owner does what they can to stay profitable. That means getting rid of the low profit clients and keeping the higher profit clients. You lose.

Waterfront is a limited resource which ought to be used for the public good, since the public actually owns it. In some locales certain amount of waterfront has been reserved for a variety of uses: parks, condos, boat yards, marinas, etc. Developers have fought this trend. They are winning.

Unless politicians decide to back fair usage principles for public resources this trend will continue. Don't count on it. Politicians generally have given up ethics and fairness early in their careers. They will back whomever pays them the most. There will be more "victims" (people who don't contribute enough to the profits) who will get kicked out and richer boat owners will get the berths. That is capitalism. We chose it. We get what we sow.

Consider who you vote for.
Old 17-09-2021, 18:07   #8

Boat: Sabre 34II

Sorry to hear of your “eviction”, money rules and there is nothing you can do unfortunately.

I would try to find another marina who can accommodate you or rent/buy/install a mooring or keep it at anchor. I rent a morning ball in our bay and winter store the boat in a local yard that allows DIY.

Good luck, let us know what you decide.
Old 17-09-2021, 18:50   #9

Boat: Cape Dory 31

This has been going on for forty years since the large conglomerates started buying out the mom and pop operations. Your best bet is to visit prospective marinas in person. It’s easy to tell someone on the phone there is no room at the inn whereas you may find that the owners like to size up prospective members of their marina family in person. I have always been in marinas which were family owned and I would find another if the unmentionable were to occur and they sold out to a large corporate entity.
Old 17-09-2021, 19:01   #10

Quote:

Are they your cousins? No? Well, welcome to the world of business. Every business that wants to increase profitability rejiggers their target market from time to time. As you no doubt noticed the last time you bought groceries the price of everything for everyone, including marina owners, is going up fast and you weren't helping their bottom line. Extra services are often the profit gravy depending on the business model. That you were there two years means they owe you nothing. Just how it is.
Old 17-09-2021, 19:55   #11

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:

Someone who had lots of money and 30 acres of waterfront property told me "Anyone who worked as hard as I did could have this."

So you are supposed to just work as hard as the other people in the marina because obviously you don't work as hard as them. Stop being poor: be rich.
Old 17-09-2021, 20:07   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandepagnier View Post
Someone who had lots of money and 30 acres of waterfront property told me "Anyone who worked as hard as I did could have this."

So you are supposed to just work as hard as the other people in the marina because obviously you don't work as hard as them. Stop being poor: be rich.

And now we see some of the base capitalist mythology.
Old 17-09-2021, 20:29   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
And now we see some of the base capitalist mythology.
I call it Cruisernomics. The world doesn't revolve around the circumference of your purse. If you must beg for free this or that from a business to continue your dream you need to find a new dream. That's just life.
Old 17-09-2021, 21:04   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixnax View Post
I call it Cruisernomics. The world doesn't revolve around the circumference of your purse. If you must beg for free this or that from a business to continue your dream you need to find a new dream. That's just life.

The myth I was referring to is the notion that wealth in a capitalist society equates to those who work the hardest, and if you are poor it is your fault because you worked less.

As I said, this circumstance is perfectly in line with how a capitalist society, and business within said society, is expected to operate. Profit maximization is the bottom line, so naturally our OP shouldn't be surprised at what is happening.
Old 17-09-2021, 22:49   #15

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

I do not know anything about back east...but in California nothing happens without the Costal Commission and environmentalist approval . Sure we got demand...but they control further supply...i blame them.
Whr
en was rge last time a new port or expansion took place in Californiaz? Same with energy suppky...populaion doubbles but water supply and electrical supply stays same or decreases.

abe
Closed Thread

Tags
contract, maxi