Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2024, 07:08   #1

round the world with long-term "charter"

I'm considering my wife and I buying a 60ft catamaran to travel around the world and renting the rooms to anyone who wants to participate.
I don't know if we will have a cook or not.
How much do you think is a fair value per person per month, including expenses such as food and diesel.
Will people be interested?
vinicius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2024, 10:34   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: round the world with long-term "charter"

Depends on whether they are considered passengers or crew. If they are passengers, you and the boat will need to be licensed. To get a captain's license, you will need several years of actual experience.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2024, 11:04   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Sounds like you want to charge people to help you sail. Good luck!
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2024, 11:26   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Sounds like you want to charge people to help you sail. Good luck!

That's not the idea, my wife and I are going sailing. I intend to have a cook too. But it wouldn't be a charter, we would be traveling. For those who want to travel on a sailboat and have all the day-to-day experience, I think it would be a good option. Comparing to charter it would be very cheap.
vinicius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2024, 11:38   #5

The root of this comes down to a very slight nuance.

Crew: They share in the shared costs (provisions, fuel, port fees, slip/mooring fees).

Charter: Owner/Operator is charging a fee structure which includes a profit above provisions and travel expenses.

If you're attempting to make enough to cover some of your personal expenses, like the repayment of a loan for your personal property, then that is migrating into the realm of being a business.

You're not the first, second or third person to pose this idea. Calling it the former, while actually doing the latter.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2024, 11:55   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinicius View Post
But it wouldn't be a charter, we would be traveling.
A difference with no distinction. All charters travel. The only variable is venue.
Quote:
For those who want to travel on a sailboat and have all the day-to-day experience, I think it would be a good option. Comparing to charter it would be very cheap.
This is a charter regardless of how you prefer describing it.

Regardless, you need a license and the requisite experience to charge passengers.
Old 22-05-2024, 12:00   #7

"Renting the rooms"
Looks like a commercial voyage. The requirements for which vary considerably depending upon Flag State.
Both the boat and crew have to be certified for Ocean Voyages.
For most if not all flag states this is way to complicated to be practical for most recreational vessels. It can be done.

Shared expenses is OK. Lots of people do this in lots of ways and is all fine as long as nothing goes wrong.

Hiring a cook? Going rate for a good cook? Will vary. I have no idea. Try looking at a few crew websites and see what is being asked for or offered.

Post on crew wanted page here with what you are prepared to offer or ask for and see if you get any bites.

You might be better off asking how other cruisers go about finding or choosing friends to cruise with and organizing shared expenses.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2024, 12:55   #8

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

Quote:
I'm considering my wife and I buying a 60ft catamaran to travel around the world and renting the rooms to anyone who wants to participate.
I don't know if we will have a cook or not.
How much do you think is a fair value per person per month, including expenses such as food and diesel.
Will people be interested?
If I didn't have my own boat and entertained your idea, I would feel that you should be thoroughly interviewed/vetted.
The question you ask above comes from a place of inexperience: Do you have experience?
How many years have you been sailing?
Have you completed any long-distance voyages or circumnavigations before?
Can you provide examples of past voyages, including routes and durations?
What type of formal sailing education or certifications do you have (e.g., RYA Yachtmaster, ASA certification)?
What medical training/experience do you have?
How many international ports have you entered during your sailing career?
Can you provide a list of countries and specific ports you have experience with?

and dozens more.
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2024, 13:00   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Hard to take this one seriously.
Old 22-05-2024, 13:14   #10

Boat: Between Boats (sold the Tayana 37)

As others have expressed if you want crew and expect that crew will pay no more than their share of food/fuel then yeah that is easy to do. Plenty of sites for finding crew.

If you are going to sell passages to customers that is a business and you need to be licensed and likely want to form an LLC and have the boat owned by the LLC and have insurance not just insurance of the boat but general liability insurance.

Operating a business and pretending it isn't one is a good way to find yourselves sued or your boat arrested or both. If you are operating an unlicensed business that isn't an independent entity then it is implicitly a sole proprietorship or partnership and the entirety of your personal assets (cars, houses, bank accounts) are subject to judgement as well.

Operating boat cruises as a for profit business isn't impossible but it involves a lot. Taking on temporary crew is easy but there are limits. Trying to do one and say it is the other is not a good idea.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2024, 13:41   #11

Boat: Volkscruiser

Boat poker I am on the fence as well. One things for sure I have never been in a room on a boat, so I wonder about the poster. Getting a cook should be easy and I assume on their days off you can stop at one of those oil rigs along the way and eat there.
60 foot seems a bit small for renting cabins by the time you employ the cook, maid and butler. I have always towed the staff accommodation behind our yacht, but that might cut the speed to much on a 60 footer.
James Wharram did something similar in his big cat but I am not sure what he charged. He had a swathe of bare breasted beauties to iron out any issues he had.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2024, 14:27   #12

Quote:
That's not the idea, my wife and I are going sailing. I intend to have a cook too. But it wouldn't be a charter, we would be traveling. For those who want to travel on a sailboat and have all the day-to-day experience, I think it would be a good option. Comparing to charter it would be very cheap.
The USCG respectfully disagrees with you. If the boat owner is getting paid, either in cash or "in kind" it is a charter. It makes no difference if you are "traveling" or not. There are lots of one-way charters.

In the USA the boat would have to be run by a licensed Captain. Ignoring this can be VERY expensive, The Coast Guard takes a very dim view of unlicensed charters, and anywhere you go there are licensed Captains working hard at trying to make a living who are more than happy to report illegal charters.

In most countries I have vistied, the visa specifically prohibits any kind of gainful employment, including running charters without approval.

If you think the rules don't apply to you, you are wrong.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2024, 15:27   #13

The question posed initially reminds me of a quote - Whoever said “there is no such thing as a stupid question” was an idiot.
Old 22-05-2024, 15:58   #14

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Short forget it...delivered several boats who's owners had the same dream the last 10 years and besides one couple all failed.
From time to time when occasions fits friends of friends as "crew" is what works. Looks like so easy from all this YouTubers, reality it's not.
Since covid it's even hard to get crew, jumped in the last 2 years several times for buddy boats where crew was not available or canceled last minute.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2024, 18:21   #15

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Sounds like it could suck…… I’d rather just be with my wife than strangers “renting rooms”.
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, round the world