Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2024, 11:22   #1

Boat: Minicat 310 Sport
Newbridge Coromandel - offshore- ocean anyone?

Hi Sailors,
I found a offer on a Newbridge Coromandel. Thou I don't intend to take it offshore, still I would like to understand its limits.
I know Roger Taylor modified the Newbridge Corribee (Ming Ming 1) and took it on the Jester Challenge and further, totally offshore, thou its the same bottom of the boat for some reason he did not choose to refit the Coromandel, don't know why.
During my research I found that Tammy Noire owner had the idea to take his Coromandel to Jester Challenge, but I don't think he ever did. Looking at Sailboat data, it seems as a coastal boat at best, and I understand for serious offshore it would need a refit and rebuild.
I know there are some single sailors who prefer small light weight junk rigs for ocean crossing, Roger Taylor, Allan Mulholland from the Wave Rover 650 etc.
Hence it made me curious if there are owners here that would share their experience with this special boat.
(found this log of a Coromandel who sailed to the Azores https://02c1289.netsolhost.com/AZORES.HTM)
DanielCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2024, 13:02   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Newbridge Coromandel - offshore- ocean anyone?

It certainly is a special boat:
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/coromandel/
Twin keels might be good for beaching, but are certainly a drag on performance. Add that to the tiny sail area and it will take a LONG time to get anywhere unless you've got 20+ knots of wind the entire time. Is the boat big enough to carry sufficient stores for long, slow passages? This would not seem to be the ideal boat for them. Coastwise in places with a good breeze and sandy bottoms for beaching might be OK.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2024, 10:08   #3

I checked sailboatdata, hence I'm looking for actual experience
Old 24-05-2024, 11:53   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

It is a coastal boat.

Be wise and use it accordingly.

Use something offshore worthy for offshore, a Mini, or something like an IF will do.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2024, 05:03   #5

as stated in the initial post I would not even dream of taking it offshore, but since people did, I would like to know from someone owning it the limits, I saw a video on youtube where the owner quite safely sailed in force 7 and even was responding to someone elses mayday. Weather can change mistakes can happen so I'm currious how far did the boat go for someone
Old 25-05-2024, 05:45   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Newbridge Coromandel - offshore- ocean anyone?

Looked at both the Corribee 21 and the Coromandel a few years back.
As you state they are the same hull with different topsides.
In the end I opted for the Corribee for its sloop rig which I took non stop from Poole to Baiona, NW Spain and on to Portugal.
Would I feel comfortable doing that in a Coromandel, yes in season with at least 50L of fuel for the outboard.
I ended up becalmed about 20nm N of Baiona and out of petrol (20L tank) and had to paddle the rest of the way.. took two days and ended up being towed the last couple of miles into the anchorage by a friendly passerby.
I found it was not excess wind that got me, more the lack of it.. recall one 3 day spell drifting windless halfway across the Biscay and being passed by a 40ftr under power whose 6 man crew crowded the port side taking pics of the crazy guy sitting in the cockpit in Speedo's reading a book.
Small bilge keelers often did the Poole to Cherbourg run, including myself in the 70's, 80's and 90's often getting caught out by F6 to 8's in Spring and Autumn.
Remember, this is an American site and as such has a lot of members who consider going offshore in anything less than 40ft> pure insanity.. Size = Safety.. whereas I consider the smaller the boat the more cork like the effect.
Also knowing proper storm tactics for the boat is vital.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".

"It is better to die on your feet than to live a lifetime on your knees.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
offshore