Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2019, 13:24   #1306

Re: OpenCPN General

I have run across the phrase "OpenCPN.info - NGA chart project" in a semi-technical note on making RNC charts using imgkap. i did not record the reference... more specifically on the details of the BSB format.

Does anyone know what this refers to and is there any element of the project accessible now? The reference is likely 15 or so years old.

Thanks.
DavidBurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 13:45   #1307
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Much less years ago...
About 2012.

NGA had a very interesting chart portfolio of charts from all over the world hanging around and from their terms free to distribute.
A bunch of people here from OCPN started to make this raster chart portfolio accessible as kap files.
NGA discovered that they did not own the copyrights of most of the files they offered for download and started to send legal threats to some of the key contributors of the project.
End of the story...

Or the start of other challenges within OCPN. Looking how to provide charts for OpenCPN.
S-63 first and today o-charts.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 14:24   #1308

Thanks for that info. I do not see how they could complain now.
Official NOAA print on demand chart dealers are selling these charts at 20 to $27 each. And they are at best 25 to 30 years old without any updates. I believe that the new ones (not available to the public) and the DNC electronic versions do indeed include chart info from various nations that is protected. But for 30-year old charts, i would guess they would be more liable for allowing the sale of outdated navigation information than they would be eligible for suing someone for duplicating products that are out of date.

On the other hand, if the o-charts exist for the region of interest, this is a no-brainer as they are up to date and affordable. We are big fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Much less years ago...
About 2012.

NGA had a very interesting chart portfolio of charts from all over the world hanging around and from their terms free to distribute.
A bunch of people here from OCPN started to make this raster chart portfolio accessible as kap files.
NGA discovered that they did not own the copyrights of most of the files they offered for download and started to send legal threats to some of the key contributors of the project.
End of the story...

Or the start of other challenges within OCPN. Looking how to provide charts for OpenCPN.
S-63 first and today o-charts.
DavidBurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 19:10   #1309

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

The intense NGA effort lead to a big disappointment, but I believe that is one of the reasons that OpenCPN is here today, because there was considerable knowledge and expertise gained from that effort.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:02   #1310

Boat: Dufour 35

The basic history of the "NGA project" can be found by reading the thread that coordinated much of the project:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rts-63396.html

For code leftover from the project, have a look at https://github.com/nohal?after=Y3Vyc...b=repositories where some of the repros are relevant,
or contact "nohal" directly.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:11   #1311

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 40 Voyagemaker Cutter

West Coast MEXICO TO Panama Columbia and Ecuador

Bella Sirena has Open CPN 5.0 installed running well this week ... I lack charts for the region West Coast Mexico to Panama I have a full array of sat pics on 5.0 courtesy of the Panama Posse folks but not charts for this region.

I am the Head of the Class NON Techie Blonde Heiress Nerd Captain here, took many days to get 5.0 and what I need loaded on to it.
Bryon
DreamCatcher37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 13:05   #1312

Hello

I installed a Airmar Heading sensor to work in conjuntion with My Garmin OPen Cpn Radar about 5 years ago, it worked fine until last summer, When i noticed on the Chart that the Heading line on the airmar sensor was any where from 15 to 30 degrees off depending on direction i was traveling. i have included 1 photo of Chart while heading southwest at night, another photo of Chart headed northeast During daylight, and a photo with the Heading Sensor turned off, only using the Heading predictor that is in the open cpn prograqm on.
I do not know if it is the Heading sensor itself or in the Program itself
Could it be the World Magnetic model that is in the Plugins?
It started doing it just out of the Blue for no reason.
The open cpn Course predictor line follows the proper heading, but the airmar pridictor line is off course.
Top photo is headed northeast,
second phoho is headed Southwest at night
Bottom photo is Open cpn Course predictor going the proper course.

Any ideas appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Headed Northeast.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	205213   Click image for larger version

Name:	Headed Southwest.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	414.6 KB
ID:	205214  

Name:	on right track.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	397.3 KB
ID:	205215  
rontom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 13:27   #1313

Boat: Najad 34

rontom..
What you call "cpn Course predictor line" is COG from the GPS. The "airmar pridictor line" is heading, HDT, from a compass, e.g. your airmar.

If the heading is really false and you're not in a leeway current it's rather easy to check what's coming from the compass.

Open Options->connection and check "NMEA debug window" while data from the compass is streaming. Try to stop the flow while both GPS and Compass data, GPRMC and xxHDM or xxHDT are present. Take screenshot and publish here.

You say the Airmar is rather old? Then, if you are receiving HDT, it can be the WMM table in the compass is out of date and it's true heading is false. Then you need a firmware update of the instrument.
If that not feasible there may be some more options in OpenCPN to for example filter the incoming data. Let's see you NMEA data stream.
If possible you can change what the Airmar is sending to send xxHDM magnetic instead of true heading and OCPN and WMM will take care of the true heading.
Håkan

Edit:
If you can "talk" to the Airmar with some program and no firmware is present you can also try to set the declination to constant 0.0. OCPN and WMM will understand that as a irrelevant value and let WMM take care instead.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 14:05   #1314

Thanks Hakan
I am not on the Boat now, but will print this out and try those ideas tomorrow AM

Thanks
Old 17-12-2019, 12:10   #1315

Hakan

I took some snap shots this AM, I do not know if they will tell anything, as i am not moving, just sitting in the Harbor, so it is hard to say. I will not be out on the Ocean for another week or so, the weather is quite bad. It is probably something in the airmar Compass, the green light in the iterface is blinking the way it should , so it talking to the computer. Probably best bet is to send it to a airmar repair facility and have them check it out. Like i said before, it just started doing this out of the blue, for no reason. I miss it with my Radar overlay, but i have been using my Radar all summer with the GPS Heading which is not very accurate, but works as long as i am Moving over 2 Knots

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NEMA DATA STREAM.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	205267   Click image for larger version

Name:	WMM.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	372.7 KB
ID:	205268  

Old 17-12-2019, 13:20   #1316

Rontom..
You're receiving HDG saying the magnetic course 209.5°, 0.0° E deviation and no variation report. So far so good.
The deviation is not used in OCPN but it's presumed the course is corrected accordingly.
The variation is not reported so WMM plugin will be used to make the true heading HDT. In your case adjust it by 18.3°. So no variation table in the device that needs to be updated. Good!
If the reported course 209.5° M is correct all is fine. If not you may try to make a new deviation of the Airmar device.
If you've the manual read how to make that. It's about to power on the device while the boat is running in a circle. One full turn should take about 2 minutes and three or maybe four full turns after power on to complete the deviation.
Old 17-12-2019, 13:26   #1317

Rontom.. again:
And I presume the device is mounted pointing correct in the boat's heading line and no magnetic gadgets in the neighborhood!?
Old 17-12-2019, 16:32   #1318

Thanks for the info Hakan

I will try the Deviation Drill next time i go out, i have the Manual on the Boat., The Airmar is where it has always been, No Magnetic Gadgets or Electric around it. In fact i moved it several different locations on the Boat , but same results.

Thanks again
Old 21-12-2019, 02:46   #1319

Hello,
About OpenCpn Android support
I lost my password to access the aocpn forum on bigdumboat. I clicked on "lost password" entered my email address and it said it sent an email with details on how to reset the passwords but I received nothing.
I have tried to create a new account with another email and it said I was a spammer and contact an administrator.
There is no means to contact an administrator without first logging in.
Some suggestions ?
Thanks
Bernard
Berty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 06:31   #1320

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berty View Post
Hello,
About OpenCpn Android support
I lost my password to access the aocpn forum on bigdumboat. I clicked on "lost password" entered my email address and it said it sent an email with details on how to reset the passwords but I received nothing.
I have tried to create a new account with another email and it said I was a spammer and contact an administrator.
There is no means to contact an administrator without first logging in.
Some suggestions ?
Thanks
Bernard
Bernard,

Did you check your spam folder for the missing email?
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote