Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-01-2018, 18:42   #2506

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Re: Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Rom, nice idea, can you save it and then enter that into Tracker when it gets running?
Anyone who uses Airmail - Sailmail will recognise this method under Catalogues/Gribfiles.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 00:33   #2507
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason
Rom, nice idea, can you save it and then enter that into Tracker when it gets running?
Tracker ? sorry I have no idea what you are talking about ...
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:16   #2508

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
Hi everyone, how about a "rectangle select" (e.g. similar to gimp) to select an area/coordinates to create a grib request ? I am modifying the coordinates manually to optimize and save bandwidth, especially with sat phone. Possible but takes a bit longer. Cheers.
Isn't this already implemented? When I click on the "Manual selection" checkbox, I can draw a rectangle to define coordinates for the request, can't you?

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:14   #2509
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Isn't this already implemented? When I click on the "Manual selection" checkbox, I can draw a rectangle to define coordinates for the request, can't you?

Pavel
Holy cow ! yes you right, I totally missed that one ! It would be nice if we could resize the rectangle from which ever angle though. So we don't have to recreate the rectangle form the begining if we are not happy with the coordinates. Don't tell me you can do it already !
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:16   #2510

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
Holy cow ! yes you right, I totally missed that one ! It would be nice if we could resize the rectangle from which ever angle though. So we don't have to recreate the rectangle form the begining if we are not happy with the coordinates. Don't tell me you can do it already !
No, you can't, but don't tell me, with one degree resolution of the request, you need it
Old 06-01-2018, 05:59   #2511

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Pavel
Pavel, the box selection sequence it much better and more intuitive IMHO, thank you. Click on @ then check Manual Location, then you can chose your selection box from any diagonal. The parameters form then disappears to the background, after selection, which is ok as most users will know to click on @ to complete.

Thanks for this improvement!
PS: I suppose keeping the selection box showing is complicated?

PSS: We are going to need to update the manual with this sequence!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (270).jpg
Views:	63
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	161641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (269).jpg
Views:	61
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	161642  

Name:	Screenshot (271).jpg
Views:	67
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	161643  
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:08   #2512

Quote:
Originally Posted by did-g View Post
Hi,
I'm working on something like that but currently it's slow and there's no executable for testing you have to compile it yourself. it's in
https://github.com/did-g/OpenCPN.git

first you select a ring size and number of ring in boundary point tab ocpn_draw preferences dialog box, I'm using 1 and .1 nautical. It's for dangers and some boy, beacon and so on.

there's a new button in ocpn draw plugin layout manager 'S57 Quilt to layer'. it generates exclusion zones (a lot) for the visible chart view using your group charts set and safety depth setting.

Did I say it's slow as is unusable? cap_cod gpx is 30 MB, very hard on ocpn_draw_pi.

Next faster and oesenc_pi.

Still only US S57 but I may add oesenc and other S57 charts today.

Add ability to use an inclusion boundary so you can do something like that:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture du 2018-01-06 15:01:12.png
Views:	88
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	161644  
did-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:14   #2513

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Pavel, the box selection sequence it much better and more intuitive IMHO, thank you. Click on @ then check Manual Location, then you can chose your selection box from any diagonal. The parameters form then disappears to the background, after selection, which is ok as most users will know to click on @ to complete.

Thanks for this improvement!
PS: I suppose keeping the selection box showing is complicated?

PSS: We are going to need to update the manual with this sequence!
Rick...
I don't know if you are reading the same manual like me, but in the one I use at https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...s:grib_weather this feature is described already.

Pavel
Old 06-01-2018, 06:37   #2514

Boat: Dufour 35

Pavel & Rick

The manual does not describe the latest changes to the "Manual Select".
For example the option "Use always this area" and the way the @ button changes are not included.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:21   #2515

Pavel, I believe we are on the same page.
The graphic needs to be changed too, because the # steps is less now.
No more "Start Graphic Select"
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/li...aselection.png

Also thanks Thomas. I need to get exporting working for the wiki first. To do that I need to get some dokuwiki PI working either with older version that work with PHP 5.3 or create an htaccess that increases PHP to 5.6 for just the wiki and not Tracker. Either way, it's probably a muckhole... but I've been messing around here!
Old 06-01-2018, 07:25   #2516

Rom
Quote:
Just start over with a new rectangle. It is easy enough. Not worth having it editable. This is great as it is.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:27   #2517
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by did-g View Post
Still only US S57 but I may add oesenc and other S57 charts today.

Add ability to use an inclusion boundary so you can do something like that:
Cool!

The "route checker" is getting in sight!
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:15   #2518

Hi,

Google summer of code first deadline is January the 23th. Maybe too late but do we want to apply for 2018 or 2019?

I don't know if we have big enough projects but O is already used for students projects and with more than 25 contributors last year finding mentors should be doable.

Seeking open source projects for Google Summer of Code 2018 | Google Open Source Blog
did-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:27   #2519

New Connection Types

Is now an appropriate time to suggest adding support for additional connection types, namely built-in Sensors and NMEA 2000 ?

Many modern portable device include built-in GPS that may not necessarily be exposed as a COM port. On Windows devices, since Windows 7, location information has also been made available from the Sensor API. Possibly not necessary on Linux as GPSD would be expected to provide support for built-in devices.

I think we've probably hit the inflection point for marine electronics with respect to NMEA 2000 . Not that I can offer any concrete evidence, but it seems as though the majority of devices (GPS, Depth, Log, Wind, VHF and AIS) are now shipping with support for NMEA 2000 rather than NMEA 0183 or proprietary protocols.

My own personal experience is that I've had to update a few 20 year+ devices (no longer repairable) and I've bitten the bullet and replaced them with NMEA 2000 devices.

There are a few Open Source NMEA 2000 parsers such as Canboat, OpenSkipper and SignalK and some complete h/w and s/w solutions on Arduino. Together with a few low cost CAN bus interfaces, it is now feasible to either provide a NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 converter or a native NMEA 2000 connection type (perhaps modelled on CANopen). Not sure what this would mean wrt to NMEA intellectual property rights.

It may also be worthwhile to get ahead of the ball wrt to support for SignalK and the evolving NMEA OneNet standard.
stevead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 20:25   #2520

Boat: Valiant 42

OpenCPN is not a hardware experimenter's platform. It works best when data is fed in via a hardware independent stream such as Ethernet. There are many open source projects and lots of commercial solutions for getting data from sensors into a stream that can feed OpenCPN. OpenCPN supports too many platforms to get into hardware like CAN or other proprietary networks. NMEA 0183 format supports nearly all sailing and navigation data needed.

Look into Open Plotter as a platform for supporting other types of sensors and interfaces. Raspberry Pi is <$50 for the base of running OP. OpenCPN runs on Open Plotter too so a really cheap starting point for what you are describing.

But I think the only universal interface available to all platforms supported by O is Ethernet either wired or Wifi. But that isn't viable for a lot of sensors so we will need a middle layer. There are lots of available solutions that can bridge the gap. Why should O reinvent those wheels?
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote