Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2024, 10:12   #1

Boat: 1967 Acadian Yawl 30'
Depth sounder transducer mount

My depth sounder transducer is a thru hull type. The mounting ring is siliconed to the hull, filled with oil, and the transducer set into it. Problem is, the oil leaks out over time. Messy! I was told one could replace the oil with silicone and bed the transducer directly into it. Anyone tried that? I don't want to get silicone all over everything only to find it doesn't work! Of course I could always look for the leak, but this sounded like a more permanent solution. Thanks for your suggestions!
Fundy Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2024, 10:22   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Depth sounder transducer mount

I have had three different boats over the last 30years and did each the same way without issue ... A couple of inches of ABS plumbing pipe duct taped to the hull, fill with epoxy, insert transducer slowly (no bubbles)and level, remove duct tape when epoxy is cured.
Old 29-04-2024, 10:27   #3

Boat: 30' Ericson / 42' Golden Star / Yard full of trailer boats

If it is set against the inside of the hull it is already transmitting through a substantial layer of glass. Bedding it in epoxy will not change its sensitivity noticeably.
Have had good results doing that with bracket mount transducers also.
Turtle Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2024, 11:14   #4

Boat: 1967 Acadian Yawl 30'

Thanks for the input! Am reluctant to use epoxy - could make it difficult to remove the transducer should I want to sometime in the future unless I was to put a skin of thin plastic (Stretch & Seal) between epoxy and the transducer. Thoughts on that?
Fundy Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2024, 17:26   #5

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundy Sailor View Post
Thanks for the input! Am reluctant to use epoxy - could make it difficult to remove the transducer should I want to sometime in the future unless I was to put a skin of thin plastic (Stretch & Seal) between epoxy and the transducer. Thoughts on that?

NO! NO! NO!

" a skin of thin plastic (Stretch & Seal) between epoxy and the transducer." would ensure it would never work! Air between the epoxy and the transducer will ensure failure.

Just recently I installed a transducer for the Navman depth sounder and also an Eagle fish finder . I sanded the inside of the hull before embedding the transducers in epoxy. Both work fine and give similar readings.

If ever I wanted to remove the transducers I would use a multi-tool preferably (or an angle grinder with a cutting disc) to cut through the epoxy (5 minute job)
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth, depth sounder, transducer