Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-12-2017, 16:08   #2491

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Voyage Data Recorder - Improvements

FS#1484 - Finalization of the play mode - Summary Feature Requests
https://opencpn.org/flyspray/index.p...s&task_id=1484
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 21:33   #2492

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Feature Requests - Weather Routing

It would be really nice if I could name a routing configuration. Just to have a name field on the configuration screen, which could display on the main weather routing screen to identify that configuration. I may have several similar configs, differing in what boat/polar I used, or perhaps I test other fields to see how they compare.
wholybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 07:44   #2493

Re: Feature Requests

wholybee would you please add this feature request to Tracker?
From top bar of the website https://opencpn.org/flyspray/
Under weather_routing_pi Add Task then write it up.

Thanks.
Old 25-12-2017, 07:21   #2494

Merry Christmas everyone. I'd like to suggest an AIS improvement that uses the logic behind Dirk's "Attenuate less important targets, but is the reverse, "Highlight more important targets" with a user definable number 3 targets for example. This could be a red circle or square around the target. Also this calculated value would be sortable in the Target list. So the more critical targets are at the top.
Old 25-12-2017, 07:43   #2495

The logic for the feature could be the same or similar to "Attenuate less important targets" but perhaps with different values for optimizing "More important targets"
Old 02-01-2018, 12:45   #2496

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
There are NMEA messages for MOB. There are devices that send these by EAS or DSC systems. DSC uses VHF radios and EAS uses dedicated receivers. OpenCPN already handles these messages. There are personal devices on the market that can send the appropriate MOB message wirelessly to all nearby receivers.
That was back on 15-Nov-17 during a discussion about using bluetooth for MOB detection. I've now got some prototype code running and I'd like to see if I can get OpenCpn to create a MOB marker and set off an alarm with a NMEA message. I've found some information at https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...:man_overboard but not quite what I'm looking for. I could fake up an AIS SART message but to do that I need to know the current location and the code generating the message does not know that. Is there another message which basically tells OpenCpn to set an MOB at the current location?
AedanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 13:06   #2497

Quote:
Originally Posted by AedanC View Post
That was back on 15-Nov-17 during a discussion about using bluetooth for MOB detection. I've now got some prototype code running and I'd like to see if I can get OpenCpn to create a MOB marker and set off an alarm with a NMEA message. I've found some information at https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...:man_overboard but not quite what I'm looking for. I could fake up an AIS SART message but to do that I need to know the current location and the code generating the message does not know that. Is there another message which basically tells OpenCpn to set an MOB at the current location?
Aedan, that would require a plugin or something. How about just running

AIS SART Alarm Nmea File

Somehow so it gets to Opencpn via whatever route?

You could send it via any one of a number of Nmea Routers.
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do..._instruments&s[]=nmea&s[]=router

I haven't figured out all the details of what you are doing, but hopefully these will help.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:12   #2498

Hi Rick,
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
I haven't figured out all the details of what you are doing, but hopefully these will help.
I'm experimenting with a number of bluetooth beacons and some Python code that scans for their presence and can generate an alarm when one of them is not found. It should be possible to use this as a very basic MOB alarm system. At the moment the bluetooth scanning part is working on a Pi in a non-marine environment so now I would like to be able to tell OpenCpn in some way to create an MOB marker at the current vessel location and set off the MOB alarm. I'm well familiar with generating and transporting NMEA 0183 sentences so I was hoping to be able to go that way. If you can think of any other way of achieving this goal it would be great. Writing a plug-in from scratch would be quite a stretch for my C programming skills.

Quote:
Aedan, that would require a plugin or something. How about just running

AIS SART Alarm Nmea File

Somehow so it gets to Opencpn via whatever route?
I could indeed inject a SART message like that and it would raise an alarm all right, however it would drop an MOB marker at the position indicated in the SART message, not the vessel's current location. That could be a bit confusing.

I guess I could get a GPS position into my code via NMEA and thus I could generate a SART message with the correct location and that's what I may have to do. I was hoping to avoid that level of complexity.

Quote:
You could send it via any one of a number of Nmea Routers.
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do..._instruments&s[]=nmea&s[]=router
I'll have a further look at those routes later on today.

Thanks,

Aedan
AedanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:52   #2499

Aedan wrote
Quote:
I would like to be able to tell OpenCpn in some way to create an MOB marker at the current vessel location and set off the MOB alarm. I'm well familiar with generating and transporting NMEA 0183 sentences so I was hoping to be able to go that way.
You've made some great headway. It would probably be best to send Jon Gough or Mike [Rasbats] or TransmitterDan a PM and ask them, while pointing them at this discussion.

Additionally, I believe the new plugin API v1.15 is going have a feature you could use about boat position out to the plugins. [I may have that slightly wrong] but looking at github Opencpn Commits you might find it... https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/c...21b1b2d682+105

It is not that old a commit.
Old 04-01-2018, 17:37   #2500

Boat: Van der Stadt Samoa 48

Layers is a very good feature, but i need a tool to create a layer with many waypoints. I have as an example app. 200 wayoint in Fiji. I would like to be able to create a layer of all visible waypoint on a chart area, which i have zoomet io to. After creating the layer, it should be possible to delete them from the waypoints list, with one single command.

Kind regards, Lars
Taarnskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 19:35   #2501

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taarnskov View Post
Layers is a very good feature, but i need a tool to create a layer with many waypoints. I have as an example app. 200 wayoint in Fiji. I would like to be able to create a layer of all visible waypoint on a chart area, which i have zoomet io to. After creating the layer, it should be possible to delete them from the waypoints list, with one single command.

Kind regards, Lars
Hi Lars,

Here's a way to do what you want with OpenCPN.

Using the Route & Mark Manager, import the waypoints into the Waypoints tab. Select all the waypoints by clicking on the top one to highlight it, scroll to the bottom and holding the Shift key, click on it. Wait for all the waypoints to be highlighted. Click on the button "Export selected ...". Navigate to where you want to save the waypoints and give it a file name (e.g. 'Fiji Waypoints'). Click on 'Save'. All the waypoints will be in one .gpx file which, when put in the Layers folder can be displayed or not in the Layers Tab by toggling the 'eyeball'. You can also use the 'List contents' in the Layers tab to have the waypoints displayed in the Waypoints tab. When done you can clear the Waypoints tab from the Layers tab by clicking on 'Unlist contents'.

HTH, Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:47   #2502

Thanks Terry, I've added an FAQ here.
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...nts_to_a_layer
Old 05-01-2018, 11:49   #2503
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Hi everyone, how about a "rectangle select" (e.g. similar to gimp) to select an area/coordinates to create a grib request ? I am modifying the coordinates manually to optimize and save bandwidth, especially with sat phone. Possible but takes a bit longer. Cheers.
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 14:30   #2504

Boat: Van der Stadt Samoa 48

Hi,

The problem with selecting them all, is that i have many other waypoints that i dont want to include. I like the idea with the rectangle search because it is more versatile.
Kind regards, Lars
Taarnskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 15:32   #2505

Rom, nice idea, can you save it and then enter that into Tracker when it gets running?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
Hi everyone, how about a "rectangle select" (e.g. similar to gimp) to select an area/coordinates to create a grib request ? I am modifying the coordinates manually to optimize and save bandwidth, especially with sat phone. Possible but takes a bit longer. Cheers.