Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2019, 15:12   #1036
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

i just called the helpline and apparently we all have a problem.
meanwhile our intrepid heros are down to their last 4 tubs of humous.!
winds expecting to be gusting to 45-50 knots on sunday,monday,as if dodging whales,fishpots and shipping were not enough to contend with.......

Old 30-11-2019, 17:22   #1037

Boat: SeaDog 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i just called the helpline and apparently we all have a problem.
Atoll, please, be a bit more understanding and focus on the sailing aspects.

There is nothing special in smart teenagers reading up on science and getting depressed. See for example the young Alvy (Woody Allen in Annie Hall) some 75 years ago got depressed because he read that the universe was expanding. He figured that if it's expanding, someday it will break apart, and that would be the end of everything. So he stopped doing his homework. Nihil novi sub sole.

So let's get back to sailing.

Old 30-11-2019, 17:33   #1038
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldKetch View Post
Atoll, please, be a bit more understanding and focus on the sailing aspects.

There is nothing special in smart teenagers reading up on science and getting depressed. See for example the young Alvy (Woody Allen in Annie Hall) some 75 years ago got depressed because he read that the universe was expanding. He figured that if it's expanding, someday it will break apart, and that would be the end of everything. So he stopped doing his homework. Nihil novi sub sole.

So let's get back to sailing.

just thought i would lighten the mood,and it looks like this thread will be done and dusted in another 2 days.

anyway back to sailing
Old 01-12-2019, 03:00   #1039

At 1015 GMT today Sunday 1 December, the efficient seafarers on LA VAGABONDE have 364 nautical miles to go "as the crow flies".

They're on a beam reach making 9.2 knots and heading ESE - a course that would have them making landfall approximately in Vigo in northwestern Spain. (There is faster train connection from Vigo to Madrid, than from Lisbon...)
But our friends are heading for Lisbon, which is confirmed in the latest posting from Nikki Henderson on her Facebook. Here, we also learn about a new speed record (24.1 knots), and a real life narrative on how it is to handle this fast catamaran in 5 meter waves:

Quote:
Day 19

Well that was a pretty full on day. Now - with nightfall - the sea state has thankfully subsided slightly. The 5 metre waves today came as a stark reminder of who is in charge out here - the ocean did what it does and we managed the situation as best we could.

By managing ... I mean - it was such good fun! We surpassed yesterday and hit a top speed of 24.1 knots - surf after surf after surf hurtled La Vagabond eastwards. Riley and I helmed the entire day and the smiles / very wide eyes said it all. As we accelerate off the tops of the waves the boat starts to hum - it sounds just like an aeroplane when its engines fire up before takeoff - faster faster faster - it’s the best feeling in the world - the helm is light, the boat is flat, you are just carving through the water - I likened it to slicing a knife through soft butter (!) and then whoosh - we sink into a trough - the adrenalin kicks in as you concentrate to make sure the boat remains under control through the slow down - and then before you know it the next one swoops us up again.

We sailed 250 nautical miles averaging 10 knots - not too bad at all!

Meanwhile - life went on as usual. Elayna made the most delicious vegan pancakes. Everyone was shocked at my choice of lemon and sugar for a topping - apparently that’s not universal?! Another new skill honed: surfing at 20 knots (see above) whilst looking down at Lenny every 5 seconds with a different funny face playing peekaboo. It’s amazing seeing how much his cognitive levels have developed in just 3 weeks. Greta and Svante soaked up their usual morning rays, and then held a solid effort in the tea and coffee making department. Yes ... we are truly in a rhythm.

Just a few more days - less than 500 miles on our count. We await Lisbon with anticipation ... and I suppose a tinge of sadness that the adventure - as every adventure does - is soon to come to an end. But enough of that for now. Tomorrow is the start of advent, so preparations for the celebrations Swedish style are about to begin!
Old 01-12-2019, 03:43   #1040

that is all very good news for their well wishers and supporters , all of whom , i am sure , share the very good mood which is apparent on board Vagy
Old 01-12-2019, 06:45   #1041
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Well its another 'yellow coastal events' alert today till 2100.
Winds N going NE 30-35kts with gusts>.. Sea 5metres+ from NNE with conditions easing tomorrow am and decreasing as the day goes on..
Lisbon arrival should be in winds 15-20kts and seas 4-5metres.
Its a well protected entry so once past the Cabo things will be simple enough for entering.
Sunny with clouds..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"I am not less life-loving than you are.
But I cannot sell my birthright, nor am I prepared to sell the birthright of the people to be free." Nelson Mandela.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:53   #1042

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Well its another 'yellow coastal events' alert today till 2100.
Winds N going NE 30-35kts with gusts>.. Sea 5metres+ from NNE with conditions easing tomorrow am and decreasing as the day goes on..
Lisbon arrival should be in winds 15-20kts and seas 4-5metres.
Its a well protected entry so once past the Cabo things will be simple enough for entering.
Sunny with clouds..
Excellent job Boaty

There is not much 'routing' left, so I think that fully covers it.

Their last days' enthusiasm is nice to see, but I trust they will be careful and not break the boat here at the end by overdoing it.

PS btw that tentative low which was showing for the 4th, has popped in and out of the models a couple of times, and is now showing quite a bit further south on the 5th (in both euro and gfs).
Old 01-12-2019, 07:50   #1043

was curious and just checked and they have sailed 50nm to the east of yesterday's routing. It's ofc longer but will allow then to keep the stronger winds further aft - nicely prudent decision.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:34   #1044
cruiser

What a shame.

"British yacht skipper, 26, wiped out the carbon emissions saved by Greta Thunberg's sail across the Atlantic by flying out to the US to help her"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Atlantic.html
Old 01-12-2019, 09:09   #1045

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDouglasone View Post
What a shame.

"British yacht skipper, 26, wiped out the carbon emissions saved by Greta Thunberg's sail across the Atlantic by flying out to the US to help her"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Atlantic.html
Just when atoll was trying so hard to lighten the mood . . . .
Old 01-12-2019, 09:13   #1046
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Just when atoll was trying so hard to lighten the mood . . . .
Just sad really. Poor kid can't catch a break!😂

Funny though.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:42   #1047

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDouglasone View Post
Just sad really. Poor kid can't catch a break![emoji23]

Funny though.

GT’s whole point to sailing across the Atlantic is to avoid the evils of flying. The previous trip to the US, 5–8 extra flights for crew. This trip, 1 extra flight.

Defeats the whole purpose of sailing doesn’t it?

It’s the holier than thou attitude that grates. If GT didn’t virtue signal so much about being zero carbon then others wouldn’t work so hard to point out the instances where her carbon use is as high or higher than if she just flew the damn plane.

Anyway, well done to the crew for the safe and successful passage so far.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:05   #1048

some people just cant the get the point ,, or do they not want to ??
Old 01-12-2019, 10:18   #1049
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Publicity.. Its all that matters and Transats are a big deal for many mud dwellers who's open water knowledge comes from Master and Commander, Titanic, Cap't Ron and that Robert Redford debacle..
Hope they don't trip over at the finish.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"I am not less life-loving than you are.
But I cannot sell my birthright, nor am I prepared to sell the birthright of the people to be free." Nelson Mandela.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:21   #1050
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
some people just cant the get the point ,, or do they not want to ??
a friend of mine is one of those extinction rebellion protesters,who has been arrested ,locked up,released,chained herself to diggers etc,re arrested,.through the courts etc,she is also a qualified human rights lawyer.

i tried to contact her the other day but she has jetted off to the carribean from the uk with her 3 kids for xmas
Closed Thread