Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2019, 05:05   #1006

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terje Vigen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Henderson
We have spent the day heading ENE - keeping a true wind angle of about 140-150. Essentially we are trying to make best VMG (fastest speed) east to position ourselves well for when the wind tracks right around to the north east. This has already begun. We started the day yesterday with a wind direction of 270 and it is now (0500 UT-1) 295. We expect by tomorrow morning it will have gone to the right of north, and we should be pointing straight at Lisbon by lunchtime.
It's always about VMG. Calculating that along a curve requires surface integration but if you break the curve up into line segments simple, beautiful trigonometry does nicely. SOH CAH TOA and the trigonometric tribe.
Old 30-11-2019, 05:17   #1007
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terje Vigen View Post
As we participants of this thread can celebrate more than 1000 postings,
...our friends on LA VAGABONDE can celebrate a new speed record; 23.8 knots

The following fresh update from Nikki Henderson's Facebook also contains a "Weather Routing for Dummies" explanation on why it makes sense not to sail the straight rhumb line from A to B, but rather follow a "ridiculous curve of 100 extra miles"
I must say it is a delight to follow the blogs of this competent young sailor who excels also with her highly readable writing skills!

At 1115 GMT today 30 November they're heading east towards the NW corner of Spain, with a boat speed of 10.4 knots. Rhumb line distance to Cascais marina is 563 nautical miles.

"I was saddened to hear about the terror attack in London yesterday - and the anger that is so prevalent."

What an absolute piece of ****.

She's a nut. Saddened at the prevalent anger by Brits at the horror of their countrymen being murdered on the streets?

This attitude, where does it come from where you hate your own people!?!

Sick. Done.
Old 30-11-2019, 05:29   #1008

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaucho View Post
Exactly, I don't need or care for armchair coaching. I just want to learn from this. Unfortunately, we only get to see the models (on Windy or PredictWind), not the actual conditions. But it is an interesting exercise nevertheless.

Because they have very limited bandwith, so they are using text and a lowres picture vs posting ... videos? Remember they are using an Iridium GO, not a fullblown sat connection. Iridium GO has a way to post to IG and FB with the low bandwith.

They will be emailing and having someone else update their IG. It is not possible to upload to IG from an Iridium Go. Twitter yes. Facebook yes via something like ITTT but Instagram no.
Old 30-11-2019, 05:48   #1009

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDouglasone View Post
"I was saddened to hear about the terror attack in London yesterday - and the anger that is so prevalent."

What an absolute piece of ****.

She's a nut. Saddened at the prevalent anger by Brits at the horror of their countrymen being murdered on the streets?

This attitude, where does it come from where you hate your own people!?!

Sick. Done.
Attitude problem and reading dissability?
Old 30-11-2019, 05:50   #1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaucho View Post
Unfortunately, we only get to see the models (on Windy or PredictWind), not the actual conditions.
Yea, often I can get back actual condition logs every 4 hours (uploaded when model updates are downloaded) and that is lovely - a very useful feedback loop. Nice pictures of sky and sea are also lovely/useful - but more bandwidth.

Sort of related to that - when they get in I would be interested in their breakage list and motor hours. But we may not hear those details because they are not very sexy.
Old 30-11-2019, 06:08   #1011

Predict Wind models are sometimes very different than local conditions.
Old 30-11-2019, 06:10   #1012

Boat: SeaDog 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
Sort of related to that - when they get in I would be interested in their breakage list and motor hours. But we may not hear those details because they are not very sexy.
These details really don't fit into the prevailing storyline even in an asexual way
Old 30-11-2019, 06:25   #1013

Catching the direct night train to Madrid on Monday at 21:34 will be quite challenging. Probably not realisitc, right? What is the current ETA?
Old 30-11-2019, 06:46   #1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by myocean View Post
Catching the direct night train to Madrid on Monday at 21:34 will be quite challenging. Probably not realisitc, right? What is the current ETA?
There is going to be some significant 'messing about' even once they arrive - will have to clear in and get the boat settled.

Boaty - how is the clearance process in Lisbon for non-eu boat, run all over town or pretty compact and efficient?
Old 30-11-2019, 06:59   #1015
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

If they go into Cascais it will all be done in the marina office.. I believe theres only 1 non EU person on board and he is an Aussie.. Easy Peasy.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 30-11-2019, 07:06   #1016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
There is going to be some significant 'messing about' even once they arrive - will have to clear in and get the boat settled.

Boaty - how is the clearance process in Lisbon for non-eu boat, run all over town or pretty compact and efficient?
I would put money, given the visibility of the climate conference, that C&I will be on the dock waiting for them. Certainly if the shore contingent is on their toes. We see that even for niche rallies all the time. Easy for this boat.

Noonsite (https://www.noonsite.com/place/portugal/formalities/) makes it look pretty easy in a couple of Lisbon marinas. It reads like C&I shows up and uses a marina office or conference room for the formalities. Shore support with their act together they'll get processed on board on arrival. Having comms on board makes all the timing that much easier.
Old 30-11-2019, 07:23   #1017
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
I would put money, given the visibility of the climate conference, that C&I will be on the dock waiting for them. Certainly if the shore contingent is on their toes. We see that even for niche rallies all the time. Easy for this boat.

Noonsite (https://www.noonsite.com/place/portugal/formalities/) makes it look pretty easy in a couple of Lisbon marinas. It reads like C&I shows up and uses a marina office or conference room for the formalities. Shore support with their act together they'll get processed on board on arrival. Having comms on board makes all the timing that much easier.
Cascais have the C&I office in the building..
Basically its enter the channel behind the breakwater and tie up at the Reception pontoon just past the fueling pontoon, stroll up the gangway and straight into the offices.. done and dusted in half an hour.. unless theres a boat or two ahead in the queue..
Much like Horta in the Azores.

Old 30-11-2019, 07:39   #1018

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
stroll up the gangway and straight into the offices.. done and dusted in half an hour..
Nice.

I always enjoyed the officials in the Azores - very nice attitude very pleasant and civilized but also doing the job carefully.
Old 30-11-2019, 07:42   #1019

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Cascais have the C&I office in the building..
Basically its enter the channel behind the breakwater and tie up at the Reception pontoon just past the fueling pontoon, stroll up the gangway and straight into the offices.. done and dusted in half an hour.. unless theres a boat or two ahead in the queue..
Much like Horta in the Azores.
So the only issue is whether someone will organize an out-of-hours processing.

Horta is one of the easiest I ever do. I did wonder why La Vagabonde didn't stop in Horta for C&I - then they'd be done.
Old 30-11-2019, 07:52   #1020
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

From the looks of it they're due for some N'ly winds 20 to 35kts so likely they'll have a lumpy last day or two.. just have to watch for all the fish/crab buoys as they come in past Cabo Roca.. reckon it'll be a Monday arrival if its just over 500nm to go..
If after 2000hrs just tie up at the Recption, tidy the boat and get their heads down till 0800hrs.

Closed Thread