Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2016, 13:53   #1

SV La Vagabonde new ride

Looks like the La Vagabonde crew is acquiring a new Outremer 45. It is unclear if they are purchasing or if Outremer is gifting them one due to there huge YouTube exposure. Either way, I for one enjoy following their vlog and look forward to the new edition to their content.
Jadam79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 14:01   #2

Re: SV La Vagabonde new ride

They talk about it here

It sounds like they will be getting it as a marketing tool for Outremer. Maybe it's a loaner or maybe it's being paid for by the marketing of Outremer that they will surely be doing for them.
Old 19-09-2016, 14:19   #3

Boat: Pearson 367

As a Gen Xer it feels like a punk band that sold out and went mainstream. I also doubt that outremer will get enough exposure to ever get their money back. La Vagabonde appeals to the 30-40 crowd which won't have the money to afford a new cat. Just my thoughts. I'd love to hear others opinions.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 14:40   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
I also doubt that outremer will get enough exposure to ever get their money back. La Vagabonde appeals to the 30-40 crowd which won't have the money to afford a new cat. Just my thoughts. I'd love to hear others opinions.
The average or even the above average 30-40 crowd don't have the money, but there are some. They only need 1% of the 200,000 subscribers to have sufficient wealth to afford an Outremer and 1% of that 1% are who are looking for a cat in that price range to give Outremer 20 genuine potential customers.

Depending on the deal they made with La Vaga, maybe they only need a couple of those 20 to turn into sales each year to pay for the marketing.

I would presume that Outremer will use La Vaga on their own website as a way to show customers who have never heard of La Vaga and never use Youtube how an Outremer can be used in real world cruising situations.

This will probably be more important to Outremer than any potential subscriber sales.
Old 19-09-2016, 14:53   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Ahhh. Hmmmmm...

OK, Don't try this at home!

Riley and Elayna are a pretty unique couple and its not everyone who is going to land sponsorships/deals etc, like this.

Good on them!

For a start they are doing it a completely different time of their lives. Most of us are retired or close to it. These guys are in the 'if it doesn't happen now' category when people really need to work hard to achieve long term.

And neither have shied from the oportunity. It beats the hell out of bar work and isolated mining camps. And they know it.
Also, Elayna is neither dingo ugly nor stupid. She's one of those Ivanika Trump type women that tend to deceive some guys because they are pretty, but its their brains that are the real whip edge. Riley is similar in that too.

Both look and sound like "everyman" that the modern generation take to extremely well. Rough diamonds. A kick to the face of the Establishment whilst really promoting the dreams of both establishment and Millennials. A marketing dream, really.

In advertising someone years ago said 'Don't sell the bacon, sell the Sizzle' and 'don't sell a house, sell a home with a dream family life'.

These guys sell the sizzle of peoples dreams. And that's worth a hell of a lot more that a 45 footer, cat or not.

Good on them
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 15:11   #6

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Wow... That's amazing for them. I am 30 years old and live on my boat, gotta say I'm jealous as hell!
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 15:18   #7

Definitely a good cost effective way to market. If you have surplus capacity, in the EU, your labor costs won't decrease that much if you have unalotted production capability. Either keep making hulls and store it, complete it and use it for boat shows.

Prob should throw in a commercial satellite package and weather routing - increase their YouTube update frequency and also make sure they don't hit any squalls, since we all know 50 knots and all catamarans suddenly spontaneously pitch pole.
Old 19-09-2016, 15:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Ahhh. Hmmmmm...

OK, Don't try this at home!

Riley and Elayna are a pretty unique couple and its not everyone who is going to land sponsorships/deals etc, like this.

Good on them!

For a start they are doing it a completely different time of their lives. Most of us are retired or close to it. These guys are in the 'if it doesn't happen now' category when people really need to work hard to achieve long term.

And neither have shied from the oportunity. It beats the hell out of bar work and isolated mining camps. And they know it.
Also, Elayna is neither dingo ugly nor stupid. She's one of those Ivanika Trump type women that tend to deceive some guys because they are pretty, but its their brains that are the real whip edge. Riley is similar in that too.

Both look and sound like "everyman" that the modern generation take to extremely well. Rough diamonds. A kick to the face of the Establishment whilst really promoting the dreams of both establishment and Millennials. A marketing dream, really.

In advertising someone years ago said 'Don't sell the bacon, sell the Sizzle' and 'don't sell a house, sell a home with a dream family life'.

These guys sell the sizzle of peoples dreams. And that's worth a hell of a lot more that a 45 footer, cat or not.

Good on them
Agree completely. Good for them
Jadam79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 15:26   #9

Well good luck to both of them
3 years a follower and their balance has been great. A little bit of eye candy, usual tropical paradise footage, and a fair helping of "sh++ the AP is screwed up again". They have grounded, lost stuff, suffered minor injuries. And complained about the food. But they still keep bouncing back.
Not sure that there will be so much interest in the couple on a cat, probably will turn into a floating hotel - less personal -- will they hire a chef? Probably not but the edge of uncertainty will certainly be missing.
UpOnStands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 15:39   #10

Boat: Pearson 367

I haven't watch La Vagabonde or any sailing videos in the last few months. SV LV was around 100,000 subscribers then. Now they are at 200,000. How many of those are actual sailors or will ever be? The general consensus is that the sailing/cruising lifestyle is on the decline. Yet to double your viewship is impressive. Maybe the shortage of decent used boats and the interest in the cruising lifestyle will lift used boat prices.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 15:50   #11

Boat: Hunter 44ds

As an early 30's cruiser about to cast off in 2 weeks actually, Vagabonde has been a great inspiration and the fact they got this deal could potentially open doors for other young & interesting cruising couples with other manufacturers. I kind of agree with LL Cool Dave, they are "selling out" in a sense, but i think if its done right, it will be for the greater good. Even though cruising on a million dollar catamaran is unattainable for most millennials, their story could potentially inspire millennials to go cruising. From my experience, most of my friends don't even know it's possible to cruise across oceans, they look at us like we're insane and about to do something no one has ever done. Perhaps showing them that others have done this and had tremendous success will inspire them and stop them from doing dumb stuff like buying houses and settling down.
SailAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 16:37   #12
WWV

Good for them. I've been studying and watching vlog's and travel blog for some time with fascination. I watch the folks over at Chase the Story as well on their FP 44.

I'll have to watch a couple and see what all the fuss is about....
WWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 16:45   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
Ihe general consensus is that the sailing/cruising lifestyle is on the decline..
I'm not sure where that "consensus" is coming from. It's safe to say that only "cruisers" buy water makers because you don't need one if your boat is a Marina Queen or just a weekender. Our sales are crazy up and I know from talking to Spectra that theirs are as well. We can hardly build them fast enough with our 2016 inventory based on a 30% growth over 2015 and we still are running out of stock.

The Baja Ha-ha Rally that shuttles cruisers from San Diego to Mexico has a record sign up this year with over 175 Boats!

Standing around at the Boat Shows talking to other gear manufacturers, I seeing the same type of sales for other real cruising gear companies. So I'm not seeing a slow down in Cruisers...but an uptick.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 17:01   #14

In the vid they show a picture of a used 45 that was recently for sale by outremer in la grande motte. It might be that boat? The video also shows 4xs and other new hulls too though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sail power sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 17:15   #15

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
SV La Vagabonde new ride

SV La Vagabonde with a Outremer 45 Catamaran is great news.

We watch them all the time and really enjoy there YouTube videos.

Wish them only the BEST on their new journey.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	45.jpg
Views:	3794
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	131439  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote