Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2019, 20:19   #1

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: Rocna Anchor Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
Please read and understand the OPs posts before posting!!
Please read and understand who I was replying to before commenting!!
I wasn't commenting on the op's post.
I was commenting on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
The anchor isn’t a rocna and that shackle isn’t the shackle on that anchor. The anchor was tied off to the boat.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 08:08   #2

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Rocha 20kg definitely too small for this boat. Rocna 33kg is what I upgraded to on my Leopard 40. Also Mantus S2 swivel. Recommend both. Mantus would also be a good choice if it fits.
Old 29-11-2019, 08:23   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Is there a "before" picture?
Old 29-11-2019, 10:57   #4

Boat: Cal 2-46

We have a Rocna 33kg. There is no way the anchor itself could break.
Our previous boat had a Rocna 25 and withstood many a blow. No way that one would break.
Pete
Jimmyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 15:40   #5

Boat: Buccaneer 16ft

I feel for the OP, that's a lot of money to fall of the boat, the only thing that makes any sense is there must have been a 2nd shackle, and it failed. Best of luck with the next one, cheers Brian .
Old fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 18:03   #6

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Why would it be on deck during an ocean passage, anyway? At sea, if something is not needed on deck, it should not be on deck. But that is beside the point. It could NOT have worn through undetected with any normal inspection/maintenance regimen. It could NOT have broke in any sort of normal conditions even if it was made of recycled tinfoil. It could not have been used for three years if it was that weak. It could not have been stolen without its absence noticed. How could you not notice that suddenly you have no anchor? Could a second shackle have come unscrewed? Doubtful. Anyone with 5k miles under his keel would by now have learned to mouse his shackles, or use locktite blue, or peen the end threads to prevent it from backing off without applying a fair amount of torque. I agree with others who smell a troll here.
Old 29-11-2019, 23:23   #7

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
... I agree with others who smell a troll here.
you bad toxic boy...
(I wonder how it would go if Rocna sued the OP for slander...)
Old 30-11-2019, 17:39   #8
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
you bad toxic boy...
(I wonder how it would go if Rocna sued the OP for slander...)

Libel.

And no, I don't think it went quite that far. He included an element of uncertainty.
Old 30-11-2019, 00:49   #9

Boat: Privilege 482

Quote:
Why would it be on deck during an ocean passage, anyway? At sea, if something is not needed on deck, it should not be on deck.
So just curious, where do you put your anchor when on passage? Ours is lashed down to a deck cleat to insure it doesn't go anywhere, but it's still "on deck" and probably more secure pulled tight into the bow roller than anywhere else.

And do you do this anytime you go offshore? Aruba to Curacao is essentially a daysail, would you put it away for that type of passage? Not trying to pick nits or be difficult, just honestly wondering if this is something that other folks do.
Old 30-11-2019, 08:33   #10

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneicm View Post
So just curious, where do you put your anchor when on passage? Ours is lashed down to a deck cleat to insure it doesn't go anywhere, but it's still "on deck" and probably more secure pulled tight into the bow roller than anywhere else.

And do you do this anytime you go offshore? Aruba to Curacao is essentially a daysail, would you put it away for that type of passage? Not trying to pick nits or be difficult, just honestly wondering if this is something that other folks do.

Most boats have room in the lazarette or chain locker for an anchor or two. Day sail? Nah. of course it stays on deck, and ready to let go any time it might be of any use. A short hop of a few hours across deep water doesn't really justify the effort to stow it, and handling heavy, pointy, clangy objects in a pitching and rolling boat, only to break it out again in a few hours, is risk to skin and bone without a lot of benefit. But for any sort of passage of consequence, I prefer minimum equipment topside and so if it is of no particular use, it should be stowed properly if possible. YMMV. Maybe that is being a bit anal but I have always believed anything topside should have a reason to be there, when at sea. Plenty of others will agree with me on that. I didn't use to be that way but was convinced by more experienced yachtsmen than myself to think this way.
Old 30-11-2019, 09:48   #11

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:

Anchor? I have 4.

The primary Mantus 55 lb, and the secondary 60 lb CQR stay on the bow on all passages including across the Pacific. They are always securely lashed down underway to prevent movement, and a chain hook with 3 strand line is attached, drawn tight, and secured to a cleat to remove any stresses on the windlass. (I also had 2 - 1/8" stainless plates made and installed on my bow to protect it from the pointy blades of the anchors.)

I also carry a FX-37 (lunch hook) in the aft lazarette, and a CQR 45 (spare) lb in the bilge.

Also...did anyone else notice there was no strap over either of the OP's anchor rollers to prevent the chain (or anchor) from jumping out?
Old 30-11-2019, 16:46   #12

Boat: Privilege 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
Anchor? I have 4.
Right, this is exactly what we do. The question was aimed at the guy who didn't want anchors 'on deck'. I just couldn't see moving a 50 kg primary and a 30 kg spare off the rollers each time we go offshore. Not only is it a chore to lug them around, I wouldn't want something that big and heavy flying around (or even just rocking around) some other part of the boat.
Old 30-11-2019, 17:38   #13

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Right, this is exactly what we do. The question was aimed at the guy who didn't want anchors 'on deck'. I just couldn't see moving a 50 kg primary and a 30 kg spare off the rollers each time we go offshore. Not only is it a chore to lug them around, I wouldn't want something that big and heavy flying around (or even just rocking around) some other part of the boat.
I have two anchors, A serious one for extreme bad weather (38 Kgs) and a smaller one for every day use, (15 kgs,)
To change from one to the other, I just change the Shackle over, and take the smaller one off,
The smaller one runs out thru the big one,
Both are securely locked down on the bow when Im travelling,
I doesnt look pretty, But it will save my boat in extreme bad weather,

Moving anchors around in bad weather and a boat thats leaping all over the place, Is a recipe for disaster,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat,, Jabsco Dunny and anchor Repairs, 001.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	432.7 KB
ID:	204123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat,, Jabsco Dunny and anchor Repairs, 003.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	424.9 KB
ID:	204124  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat,, Jabsco Dunny and anchor Repairs, 007.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	413.3 KB
ID:	204125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat,, Jabsco Dunny and anchor Repairs, 008.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	431.9 KB
ID:	204126  

Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 02:02   #14

Boat: Nautitech 40 (2005)

Quote:
Why would it be on deck during an ocean passage, anyway? At sea, if something is not needed on deck, it should not be on deck. But that is beside the point. It could NOT have worn through undetected with any normal inspection/maintenance regimen. It could NOT have broke in any sort of normal conditions even if it was made of recycled tinfoil. It could not have been used for three years if it was that weak. It could not have been stolen without its absence noticed. How could you not notice that suddenly you have no anchor? Could a second shackle have come unscrewed? Doubtful. Anyone with 5k miles under his keel would by now have learned to mouse his shackles, or use locktite blue, or peen the end threads to prevent it from backing off without applying a fair amount of torque. I agree with others who smell a troll here.
Not being so familiar with internet slang, I googled "a troll is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses "

There may be a troll here, but it isn't the OP..
chris in SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 18:05   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat

A friend of mine purcahsed a new catamran in France, lifted anchor, and sailed it across the Atantic. When he arrived in the Caribbean, he was quite surprised his beautiful new Rocna was gone, and all that remained was half of the french bullet shaped swivel (you know the brand). So it can definitely happen- a long passge, some rough seas, and the shackle just breaks. I made it a point after hearing his story to never buy one of those pretty stainless steel streamlined bullet shaped shackles - I have a titanium shackle instead.

Tags
anchor, grass, rocna