Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2024, 05:45   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Oil for Kanzaki Marine Gear/Yanmar

Time to change the gearbox oil again, and once again I'm stumped on what oil to use. Yanmar requires both motor and gearbox oil which is hard to find.

For the motor (4JH3 HTE), I finally decided to stop beating my head against the wall and finally now just use the Yanmar oil, which isn't actually that much more expensive than anything else.

But what about the marine gear? The manual says straight 20W or straight 30W, and I've read cautions to never use multiviscosity and to avoid HD if possible. So where do you get straight, non-HD 30W?

What about lawnmower oil?

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Briggs-St...%2C242&sr=8-18

or this:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Liqui-Mol...42&sr=8-5&th=1

Thoughts?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2024, 06:08   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Oil for Kanzaki Marine Gear/Yanmar

Yep, SAE 30 oil is just a plain old single weight engine oil and it used by many many small engines in lawnmowers, mini yard tractors and the like. It should be available in any small engine shop.

It has been used in Kanzaki Marine Gear box for yonks.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2024, 12:57   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
. . . It has been used in Kanzaki Marine Gear box for yonks.

So others are using this? Great!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 24-05-2024, 15:36   #4

It’s important to know what NOT to use, last time my 4wd was serviced the mechanic used the fully synthetic version of the oil my manual transmission normally uses and I lost synchro on definitely first gear, mostly on second gear and less importantly on the rest, this applies until the gearbox warms up enough to allow the synchro’s to work better but first gear requires a full stop to engage. Next oil change I’m going back to the OEM oil and am ok with no synchro…. No gear crunches , just a refusal of the synchro’s to allow the required spin up of the gear to….Synchronize. This works against you with a marine clutch where you really want that cone or clutch plate pack to stick, not slip…. But not stick hard enough to resist disengaging or hard shifting. Into gear….. avoid fully synthetic oils!
On the “Liquimoly” link, be careful with which one of the range of oils you get , the liquimoly oils have as the name suggests, Molybdenum disulphide as an additive in some of their lube oils. I use almost exactly that oil in Dockheads link to try and squeeze another 100,000 miles out of my other car, a Pajero V6 with hydraulic tappets that sound like castanets ( this is in Malaysia). My point is that the moly 40 and the NON moly 40 is in very similar containers and even a tiny amount of a friction modifier like Moly will cause the marine clutch to slip.
Only plain old SAE 30 or 40 MINERAL oil ….., don’t be lured into synthetic or friction modified.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2024, 21:30   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
It’s important to know what NOT to use, last time my 4wd was serviced the mechanic used the fully synthetic version of the oil my manual transmission normally uses and I lost synchro on definitely first gear, mostly on second gear and less importantly on the rest, this applies until the gearbox warms up enough to allow the synchro’s to work better but first gear requires a full stop to engage. Next oil change I’m going back to the OEM oil and am ok with no synchro…. No gear crunches , just a refusal of the synchro’s to allow the required spin up of the gear to….Synchronize. This works against you with a marine clutch where you really want that cone or clutch plate pack to stick, not slip…. But not stick hard enough to resist disengaging or hard shifting. Into gear….. avoid fully synthetic oils!
On the “Liquimoly” link, be careful with which one of the range of oils you get , the liquimoly oils have as the name suggests, Molybdenum disulphide as an additive in some of their lube oils. I use almost exactly that oil in Dockheads link to try and squeeze another 100,000 miles out of my other car, a Pajero V6 with hydraulic tappets that sound like castanets ( this is in Malaysia). My point is that the moly 40 and the NON moly 40 is in very similar containers and even a tiny amount of a friction modifier like Moly will cause the marine clutch to slip.
Only plain old SAE 30 or 40 MINERAL oil ….., don’t be lured into synthetic or friction modified.

Thanks for that. Yes, I have been aware since I've owned boats that synthetic oil can be poison to older diesel engines. I've linked the classic article on this by Vyv Cox and will link it again for the benefit of newer members here: Oil for yacht engines – Cox Engineering. Vyv is a yachtsman AND a petroleum engineer so this is an invaluable resource (the rest of his site is packed full of good stuff, too).

I'll double check the Liqui Moly and if there's any doubt I'll go with the Briggs and Stratton.

Liqui Moly also make a CLASSIC branded straight 30W, which I believe has no detergent, so suitable for old motorcycle engines without oil filters. But Yanmar specify HD, so I don't think I'll do that one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KanzakiP1040795.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	354.5 KB
ID:	290237
Walt Whitman
Old 24-05-2024, 23:21   #6

Interesting conflict here - the plate clearly shows SAE20/30HD while my Yanmar service manual calls for SAE20/30. Neither shows what API spec is required. See screenshot.

What is HD? That depends on who you ask, it can mean High Detergent or it can mean Heavy Duty. Back in the day (say 1950s) oils were light and simple. At some time, API specs were introduced and a spec of API CD was considered 'heavy duty'. All small Yanmar engines up to the GM series were specified with SAE 30, API CD. Many of the Kanzaki gear boxes called for using the oil as the engine, i.e. SAE30 API CD.

What should DH use? I dunno but I think there is more evidence suggesting that the KMA4A needs SAE30 API CD or better.

AFAIK, high detergent oils should not be used where there is no oil filter. I.E. a high detergent oil is not appropriate for the KMA4A but a 'heavy duty' oil is and any API spec of CD or later is a 'heavy duty' oil by the older use of terminology - but I could be wrong...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-25 at 4.07.28 pm.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	290238  
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 25-05-2024, 06:36   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Interesting conflict here - the plate clearly shows SAE20/30HD while my Yanmar service manual calls for SAE20/30. Neither shows what API spec is required. See screenshot.

What is HD? That depends on who you ask, it can mean High Detergent or it can mean Heavy Duty. Back in the day (say 1950s) oils were light and simple. At some time, API specs were introduced and a spec of API CD was considered 'heavy duty'. All small Yanmar engines up to the GM series were specified with SAE 30, API CD. Many of the Kanzaki gear boxes called for using the oil as the engine, i.e. SAE30 API CD.

What should DH use? I dunno but I think there is more evidence suggesting that the KMA4A needs SAE30 API CD or better.

AFAIK, high detergent oils should not be used where there is no oil filter. I.E. a high detergent oil is not appropriate for the KMA4A but a 'heavy duty' oil is and any API spec of CD or later is a 'heavy duty' oil by the older use of terminology - but I could be wrong...

Sigh.

Maybe just better to do what I did with my engine oil -- just buy the Yanmar stuff. Do they even sell oil for their gearboxes?
Walt Whitman
Old 25-05-2024, 07:10   #8

Boat: Hunter 380

HD30 (heavy duty) is available at most auto parts stores.... even Walmart has it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20240525_071306_Chrome.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	290245  
cram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2024, 02:41   #9

OK, it took a while but I have found the documentary evidence to support my earlier claim that you need single weight mineral oil - SAE 20 or 30 with an API specification of CD (or higher e.g. CE etc)

You have a 4JH3 with a KM4A gearbox.

I have Kanzaki / Yanmar manual for the KM4A, KM35A, KM35P boxes (plus others).
That manual specs SAE#20/30 (without multi-grade oil) for all of these gear boxes. That translate as 'single weight' SAE 20 or SAE 30.

I also have a Yanmar 4JH4 operations manual. Note the 4JH4 can be fitted with the KM35A, KM35P, KM4A1 & KM4A gear boxes. That manual specifies SAE#20 or SAE#30 with an API Service Categories CD or higher for these boxes.

If the Kanzaki manual specs SAE#30 oil for the KM35A & KM35P & KM4A and the Yanmar manual specs the SAE#30 (API CD) oil for the KM35A & KM35P & KM4A1, then it is pretty obvious the KM4A also needs SAE#30 (API CD) oil.

See screenshots.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 6.55.04 pm.png
Views:	6
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	290281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 7.05.26 pm.png
Views:	12
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	290282  

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 6.53.09 pm.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	290283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-25 at 4.07.28 pm.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	290284  

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 7.01.07 pm.png
Views:	11
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	290285  
Old 26-05-2024, 05:36   #10

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Maybe just better to do what I did with my engine oil -- just buy the Yanmar stuff. Do they even sell oil for their gearboxes?
Depends on the jurisdiction in which you are. Engine oil, lube oil. Same thing, lah.
Old 26-05-2024, 05:50   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Depends on the jurisdiction in which you are. Engine oil, lube oil. Same thing, lah.
Err...no.
Engine oil is a type of lube oil.
Marine Gear [box]oil is a type of lube oil.

However in DH's 4JH3, engine oil is not the same as marine gear [box] oil.

The manual calls for an engine oil spec of SAE 15W40, API CD and a marine gear [box] oil spec SAE 20 or SAE 30, API CD. See screenshot

However in some models, the engine oil is the same as gear box oil.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 10.43.08 pm.png
Views:	10
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	290287  
Old 26-05-2024, 12:10   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks, guys. I think I will go with the lawnmower oil. I'll post about how it goes.
Walt Whitman
Old 26-05-2024, 19:18   #13

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

I use Yanmar HD30 single grade in my 4JH2-HTE and the same in the KM4A.
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2024, 19:25   #14

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Quote:

If you look at the image that was posted by Dockhead, the KM4A takes 1.3 liters, not 2.3 liters as the table specifies. I can't get 2.3 liters in mine without seriously overfilling it, if I go by the dipstick.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3902489
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2024, 01:35   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Q: What do you call motor oil from Cuba?
A: Fidel Castrol.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear, kanzaki, marine, oil, yanmar