Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2024, 03:07   #1

Boat: Feeling 1090
OpenCPN 5.8.4-2 losing charts.

So, of the 5 times I have fired up OpenCPN in the last few days sailing, on 3 of those occasions, there have been no charts. I'm using the latest Osenc plugin 2.0.6.0, and OpenCPN 5.8.4-2 on 2 occasions clicking "scan charts and rebuild database" has restored the charts, on one occasion it decided all the chart files were invalid (code 2, whatever that means) and I had to re-install (which was not as bad as I feared, as it seems to have ket the .ZIP file it downloaded, so I didn't have to spend 3 hours downloading them again.

On each occasion I have been careful to close OpenCPN manually and shutdown the RPi, even though I have a proper interrupt triggered poswerdown system via a MacArthur HAT.

Anyway, I need to find a simple fix for this, are there some files I can chmod 444 to just lock the chart status and not have to go through this nonsense? My kids want to borrow the boat over summer, I don't want to have to spend my summer doing IT support over the phone ...
rszemeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2024, 03:22   #2
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: OpenCPN 5.8.4-2 losing charts.

On which platform? Operating system?
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2024, 06:14   #3

Rpi, running whatever version of Raspbian it is that OpenPlotter ships with. Unfortunately not at the boat right now, so can't be more specific.
Old 24-05-2024, 07:34   #4

@bcn ... is that enough for you or do you need any more information?
Old 24-05-2024, 13:58   #5

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rszemeti View Post
I'm using the latest Osenc plugin 2.0.6.0, and OpenCPN 5.8.4-
I suppose Osenc is a typo? The plugin to use nowadays is called o-charts but current version is 2.0.6 so it may be it's the correct one you're using?

I've a couple of RPi's using o-chart but have never seen anything similar. My first thought is a bad SD card in some way.

@bcn.
Is a Accessories->SD Card Copier to a new SD card seen as another system for o-charts? I've use a SG-dongle all time on my Pi so I haven't tried.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2024, 18:13   #6

Hmm, yes you are right it is the o-chart_pi plugin, and I am sure it is version 2.0.6.0

I use SG-dongle also.

I did rename the directory one time it did this to have a record of the "bad files" ... that will have only changed the name of the reference to the inode, the new files will have been in a differerent area of the SD card, I would think other parts of the system would also be failing if the SD was bad?

Next time it does this, I will try and get a photo of the screen with my phone so you can see exactly the error message when I try to validate the files. It listed all 700+ files as invlid with code "2" ...
Old 24-05-2024, 21:48   #7

Boat: Najad 34

If you use the SG-dongle you could try another SD-card?
Make a "SD card copy" and try. A backup is also not wasted money. Especially not on a Linux RPi where a card failure is not unusual.

Btw: What I know is a rename of a file and its path not physically moving it on disk. It's just the table describing where this files segments are to be found that's changed. (Now I'm in the DOS world but I suppose UNIX does the same.)
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2024, 08:34   #8

Correct, so by renaming the old files, they stayed in the same (possibly faulty?) place on the card. Thus, when I unpacked the new files, they would be in a different (presumably not faulty) place on the card, but the fault still occurred with the files in the new place.

If the card was failing, I would see other problems ... I do not. I think it is extremely unlikely I would get an area of the card producing a fault but not affecting the rest of the disk ... and when I put new files in another area of the disk, I manage to find another area that produces the same fault?

I'll run fdisk when I get back to the boat and check it, but it is an ext3 partition, I suspect it will check fine.

Can I chmod 444 the directory to prevent it getting messed with? Where is the chart database held, chmod 444 that might help?
Old 25-05-2024, 09:18   #9
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Chartlist.dat does live in the directory where the config file resides (plus a lot of other stuff).
I don't think it is an issue with the oesu licensing scheme, as in that case you would see something that "the system has changed...".

A snippet from the log file when you are validating the chart set might give some insight.
The same if the "Chart Data Base Rebuilt" does not render the correct result.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2024, 14:01   #10

I shall try chmod 444'ing that file then, I have the SG dongle, and the chart set is tied to it, it should "just work" I'll dig around when I am next back at the boat.

Tags
charts, enc, opencpn