Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2024, 13:11   #1

Whales Vs. Boats, Spain, France, Portgugal, Morocco, Report Published

Conclusion: young killer whales are "bored"? Here is an interesting summary of a report issued in Feb. 2024, following a conference of scientists who studied increased incidence of whales Vs. boats. The article includes a link to the actual published report.

https://www.aol.com/killer-whales-ke...090349677.html
Overdue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2024, 13:24   #2

Re: Whales Vs. Boats, Spain, France, Portgugal, Morocco, Report Published

Orcas just having a whale of a good time!

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2024, 14:15   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I found myself wondering if it is a reaction to pollution in the ocean waters, or an attempt by whales to investigate human intelligence.....

I bet the marine biologists know better than me, though.

Ann
Old 24-05-2024, 16:20   #4

Boat: Outremer 55L

Teenagers with free time on their fins getting into trouble - wouldn’t happen with humans!
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2024, 09:52   #5

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

I have often pondered how we- as a species- came to discover various foods that seem inedible at first glance. Think crab, shrimp, lobster, artichokes, etc.

How desperate were the first Homo sapiens to crack open the hard and uninviting exoskeleton of a crab, only to discover the delectable reward inside…?

Perhaps this band of orcas is on a similar path of discovery…? <I’m grinning…>

Cheers, Bill
Old 25-05-2024, 18:53   #6

Boat: campion 32 motorsail. 25 beachcomber ketch

i was wondering that since whales rely on sonar for so much of their daily lives, is it possible for cruisers to have a certain benign/annoying frequency to broadcast on as a last resort to drive away unwanted hooligan orcas from sailboats?
svhydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2024, 22:30   #7

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

It strikes me that there's a great deal of anthropomorphising discussed in the report. I don't really know how we can understand the motivation of another species to make decisions and act on same, we struggle enough to understand why we do half the things we do ourselves. Certainly never understood the stuff my teenage sons would get up to, and for that matter, looking back to me own years of running riot. Drugs, sex and rock n roll I guess but not always available or in that order., but the desire mmmm

I was though very surprised by the sheer volume of attacks reported. 673 boats since 2020.
And my cynicism again, but I wonder who maintains these stats and what constitutes an 'attack'. And also how do skippers even know who to report to and even bother.

Anyone here passed through Gibraltar in the last few years? Do authorities (whoever they are) pass out notices detailing what and where must be reported and to whom?

A friend of mine suggested a simple solution; flash bangs. Anyone tried them with whales? And ok a pm would be fine.
Old 26-05-2024, 06:23   #8

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

[QUOTE=grantmc;3902764]It strikes me that there's a great deal of anthropomorphising discussed in the report. I don't really know how we can understand the motivation of another species to make decisions and act on same, we struggle enough to understand why we do half the things we do ourselves.

I found the same in the report, psychoanalyzing adolescent Wales, as if they were humans. Post grad Marine mammal physiology curriculum to be instituted in an Ivey league institution near you.
I find it equally ironic that the known adaptation VS extinction motivator is never mentioned by academia and quickly denounced as moronic when brought up.
Adolescent and adult killer whales play with their food, that’s a fact. Yet no accreditation holding voice will acknowledge this behavior as applicable.

As a life long student of human nature and behavior, and a manager of the crisis they cause themselves on a professional level, I find the denunciation of explanations amusing as all explanations are possible until they can be proven not to be the case.

Adaptions is nature happen by animals performing no traditional behaviors. At some point they will find attacking rudders useful or they will stop. At some point they will share the behavior to other groupings in which they may adapt and find a use for, or not.

I read in a very good book by Larurence Gonzales (deep survival), where he share this tenet. there are only 2 choices in evolution, of all life, of any species adaptation or extinction.
I believe this tenet to be true, play or pray, or eventually both only time will tell. I pass no judgment on those that endeavor to protect themselves, that’s adaptation, a function of survival…or so I have been informed.

Cheers
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Boats, France, Morocco, Spain