Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2019, 15:00   #31

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Month eight for a middle-aged couple on a modest boat.

This guy's goal is to live on a dollar a day.

His boat cost was $1,000 and he had crossed both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans on it

The female sailor, Emily, author of the Dinghy Dreams Website sailed her Ariel 26 from Canada down to Florida also on a minimal budget

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...th-217917.html

http://www.dinghydreams.com/
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 16:41   #32

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

In the end I think most people spend what they got. I know a guy who has 500-600 a month. He got in with a girl and sold his boat and move on hers and I don't know how much they have now but he was doing it for a year before that.

I know another couple spent 62K Canadian for the whole year and that included their house in the GTA as well as 6 months boat storage and replacing the boat engine.

I really can't quite figure where I will be on the spending thing. I hope to find out soon.
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 17:24   #33
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

I’ve even had cut back on my craft beer consumption at times

That's Hard core, bit of a game changer. You need to set up a Gofundme Beer campaign, we can't have people going without their rations
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 18:18   #34
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
This guy's goal is to live on a dollar a day.

His boat cost was $1,000 and he had crossed both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans on it

The female sailor, Emily, author of the Dinghy Dreams Website sailed her Ariel 26 from Canada down to Florida also on a minimal budget

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...th-217917.html

Dinghy Dreams – Road to the Sea
It looks like he gets by on 25 cents per day... it’s like the boating version of living under a bridge. Honestly, who wants to live like that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8EAE604C-F0DC-4006-8F87-29ED2272FEFB.jpeg
Views:	158
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	191707  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 18:34   #35

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
That's Hard core, bit of a game changer. You need to set up a Gofundme Beer campaign, we can't have people going without their rations
I’m glad to see someone feels my pain .
Old 09-05-2019, 02:27   #36

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
I’m glad to see someone feels my pain .

I for one am VERY worried about your beer issues.

Can you elaborate on what went wrong? Home brew is a big part of my cruising plan. [emoji6]
Old 09-05-2019, 03:21   #37

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post

Emily is a friend of ours... she lives pretty darn frugally but if you ask her she will tell you that she would like to not have to live so frugally.

It’s a matter of “you spend what you have” and she has to work really hard for every penny, as you can read in her blog.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:39   #38

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I for one am VERY worried about your beer issues.

Can you elaborate on what went wrong? Home brew is a big part of my cruising plan. [emoji6]
Ah… I used to make my own beer and wine when we had a land house. I just don’t see how to do it on board — at least not at any production level that makes sense for to my consumption rates . Beer especially would require too much volume, taking up too much space. And then there’s the water and cleaning demands … not something I could manage off the dock.

I’ve considered making wine, in part b/c I can use just about any fruit/sugars to do that. I used to make mead, dandelion, rhubarb, strawberry, blueberry, even rose-petal wine. It would be fun to make a local wine out of whatever is growing in the area one happens to be in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Emily is a friend of ours... she lives pretty darn frugally but if you ask her she will tell you that she would like to not have to live so frugally.

It’s a matter of “you spend what you have” and she has to work really hard for every penny, as you can read in her blog.
Haven’t read her blog, but I’m sure I’d agree. As I’ve said, if I had more money I would spend more. But I don’t. It’s just a fact of life.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:48   #39

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Ah… I used to make my own beer and wine when we had a land house. I just don’t see how to do it on board — at least not at any production level that makes sense for to my consumption rates . Beer especially would require too much volume, taking up too much space. And then there’s the water and cleaning demands … not something I could manage off the dock.

I’ve considered making wine, in part b/c I can use just about any fruit/sugars to do that. I used to make mead, dandelion, rhubarb, strawberry, blueberry, even rose-petal wine. It would be fun to make a local wine out of whatever is growing in the area one happens to be in.

Hmmm. There was a thread somewhere here on brewing on board. I must go back and have another look. I confess I had not thought of the water consumption for cleaning etc. That’s likely to be tricky.

I was concerned that the boat movement would be a problem but I seem to remember someone reassuring me on that front.

Good wine can be found very cheaply in my part of Oz so the economics wouldn’t stack up on that front, I really doubt I could produce anything palatable for even double or triple the cost.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:01   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
It looks like he gets by on 25 cents per day... it’s like the boating version of living under a bridge. Honestly, who wants to live like that?

I would say your likely pretty correct, I assume it’s the marine equal of living under a bridge.
Not everyone gets to live like they want to, but for some, they detest the idea of a job so much that they will live like this intentionally cause to them it’s better than a job.
Its the freedom to choose that is significant to me.

I don’t look down on them myself, cause they aren’t usually asking for me to support them, I do look down on those that do, whether they are a Millionaire cheating on their taxes or a Welfare Queen with a Mercedes.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:04   #41

Boat: Catalina 470

No westerner is living on $1/day without living on the charity of others to some extent.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:35   #42
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I would say your likely pretty correct, I assume it’s the marine equal of living under a bridge.
Not everyone gets to live like they want to, but for some, they detest the idea of a job so much that they will live like this intentionally cause to them it’s better than a job.
Its the freedom to choose that is significant to me.

I don’t look down on them myself, cause they aren’t usually asking for me to support them, I do look down on those that do, whether they are a Millionaire cheating on their taxes or a Welfare Queen with a Mercedes.
Think he averages more like a dollar a day. Prob an old pic, long distance cruiser. And genius level intelligent , lots of Opencpn plugins & code came from his head afaik. Seems much less judgemental from his posts as well, unlike some of the dripping with money cruisers around here .... Each to their own, going to bed happy trumps lots of cash any day imho
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:44   #43

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Think he averages more like a dollar a day. Prob an old pic, long distance cruiser. And genius level intelligent , lots of Opencpn plugins & code came from his head afaik. Seems much less judgemental from his posts as well, unlike some of the dripping with money cruisers around here .... Each to their own, going to bed happy trumps lots of cash any day imho
Or maybe that's what you wish to project on to him? I've seen judgement in his posts... and that's not taking a shot at him, we all apply judgement to what's different from us.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:09   #44

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Or maybe that's what you wish to project on to him? I've seen judgement in his posts... and that's not taking a shot at him, we all apply judgement to what's different from us.
Sounds like an interesting guy, but then I enjoy reading about nonconformists. If he posts on CF, what's his handle?
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:13   #45

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Biggest expense for me is the nm's uder the keel! Money spent preparing the boat for ocean crossings is significant compared to just bobbing along the coast. Big passages wear things out, just noticed rudder bearings are shot, will be hauling out sooner than I was going to now.
So true, although you'd certainly know better than most! It's not just the stuff that wears out, but also the stuff you've deferred replacing preemptively that suddenly becomes necessary in contemplation of longer passages away from any sort of support. At the moment I'm thinking about my chain/wire rope steering system here . . . .
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat