Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2019, 07:15   #46

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: Month eight for a middle-aged couple on a modest boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Iím glad to see someone feels my pain .
NOW I understand! The sacrifices we all must make for the sake of our boats.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 18:41   #47

Boat: Bristol 29.9

I've been without internet access for awhile as we've been hopping offshore to try to make some tracks back to Connecticut - although looking at the weather there, we may need to slow down!

Someone mentioned that they think you spend what you have, and I completely agree with that.

Looking at our budget, are there things we could cut out if we didn't have the money? Sure. Life insurance immediately comes to mind. That averages out to a $135/month hit. The New York Times subscription could go (and frankly, being without internet made me realize how frustrating it is to actually read the news). We spend WAY too much money on cell phones and internet access. If I could figure out a way to reduce that while still keeping our two phones and the access we have, I would. Others go without health insurance, but we would never do that, particularly given Mr. cthoops' health issues.

Bottom line, we have it, so we spend it, but we do have a cushion for the unexpected large expenses. The only way I can see a couple spending under $1,000/month is by going without various insurances like life insurance, boat insurance, and health insurance (the last of which is crazy in my opinion if you are a middle-aged American), strictly limiting cell phones and internet access, and not spending money to truly maintain the boat. Otherwise I just don't see how it can be done. Some months, sure. But to average only $12,000/year? I don't think so.
Old 13-05-2019, 18:54   #48

Boat: Tartan 42

I don't see any hull insurance or health insurance. Do you have neither?

Deb
SV Kintala
The Retirement Project
Kintala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 19:20   #49

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post
...Bottom line, we have it, so we spend it, but we do have a cushion for the unexpected large expenses. The only way I can see a couple spending under $1,000/month is by going without various insurances like life insurance, boat insurance, and health insurance (the last of which is crazy in my opinion if you are a middle-aged American), strictly limiting cell phones and internet access, and not spending money to truly maintain the boat. Otherwise I just don't see how it can be done. Some months, sure. But to average only $12,000/year? I don't think so.
I agree with the idea that you spend what you have. We average about $25,000 CND for two adults. This translates to about $18,000 USD. But insurance is an interesting point. We carry full boat insurance, but no life and donít pay (directly) for health insurance. My Canadian (provincial) health insurance remains intact.

This is one reason we are hesitating to head south. Iím pretty sure weíll pay as we go outside of the USA, but thereís no way I would travel in the States without sufficient coverage. Squeezing this into our budget will hurtÖ (but not as much as not having it ).
Old 13-05-2019, 21:16   #50

Boat: Pearson 365 and Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Because there's only been 3 responses and 2 were yours? Sheesh, Sailorboy, give it time...

You are
A kick. Good parley vous financeí
piloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 04:14   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kintala View Post
I don't see any hull insurance or health insurance. Do you have neither?

Deb
SV Kintala
The Retirement Project
We have health insurance through Obamacare. We paid for the yearís premium back in December or January (I donít remember which). Mr. cthoops has congestive heart failure so we will never be without it, regardless of the cost.

We also have hull insurance, but that premium is due in July.
Old 14-05-2019, 04:27   #52

Quote:

This is one reason we are hesitating to head south. Iím pretty sure weíll pay as we go outside of the USA, but thereís no way I would travel in the States without sufficient coverage. Squeezing this into our budget will hurtÖ (but not as much as not having it ).
Iím envious of your Canadian coverage. I wonít comment further on that so as not to turn the thread into a debate over universal health care.

You are smart not to travel here without sufficient coverage. Sometimes people think that something awful canít happen to them health-wise, and maybe it wonít. But maybe that roll of the dice will come up snake eyes.

Mr. cthoops was in great shape, 58 years old, and the next thing we knew he was in the ICU with congestive heart failure. The bill for that stay was $150,000. Cost to us through my work insurance? $100. His ablation two months later was $85,000. Cost to us? $50. Giving up that gold plated health insurance was honestly the scariest thing about quitting my job. The insurance we have now isnít nearly as rich, but at least we wonít go bankrupt if Mr. cthoops lands in the hospital again. Definitely donít visit the U.S. without adequate insurance.
Old 14-05-2019, 06:32   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post
Iím envious of your Canadian coverage. I wonít comment further on that so as not to turn the thread into a debate over universal health care.

You are smart not to travel here without sufficient coverage. Sometimes people think that something awful canít happen to them health-wise, and maybe it wonít. But maybe that roll of the dice will come up snake eyes. ...
Yes Ö I donít want to drag this into a political discussion either, but I am acutely aware that likely I could not be living the way I do now if I was an American. When I hear the monthly healthcare insurance costs most Americans must bare I am amazed any middle-class person ever finds a way to go cruising.

That said, I think Don (Sailorboy) has figured out a way to make it all work. His insurance costs seem quite low, and I know heís posted how he does it. So I guess there is a way.
Old 14-05-2019, 07:45   #54

Thanks for posting these details. I find them useful to show the wife that it can be done on a retirement income. Here in the PNW of the US, I am months away from starting Medicare, and based on my sister's experience, we'll need to add about $550 for supplemental insurance. (Both me and wife)

We still need to keep a brick and mortar home but my hope is to take long cruises and use a house sitter. That's a whole other story.
Old 14-05-2019, 08:03   #55

Quote:
Yes Ö I donít want to drag this into a political discussion either, but I am acutely aware that likely I could not be living the way I do now if I was an American. When I hear the monthly healthcare insurance costs most Americans must bare I am amazed any middle-class person ever finds a way to go cruising.

That said, I think Don (Sailorboy) has figured out a way to make it all work. His insurance costs seem quite low, and I know heís posted how he does it. So I guess there is a way.
Mike -- There are now non-Obamacare, term-limited (one year) policies that are quite reasonable premium-wise (no wife, no kids, no smoking, healthy ~ $450/mo). The deductibles/out-of-pocket are steep but I found them to be no worse than what was available with standard Obamacare policies so I went for it. It's underwritten by Aetna and you can use it anywhere. Basically just catastrophic insurance but again, so are OC policies (effectively) because of the $7-10K deductibles/out-of-pocket terms. The "catch" is that certain serious ailments such as cancer & heart disease are excluded, but only after the one-year term expires. At that point you'd probably want to return home anyway, and your Canadian health care would presumably be available to you again.
Old 14-05-2019, 08:15   #56
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Think he averages more like a dollar a day. Prob an old pic, long distance cruiser. And genius level intelligent , lots of Opencpn plugins & code came from his head afaik. Seems much less judgemental from his posts as well, unlike some of the dripping with money cruisers around here .... Each to their own, going to bed happy trumps lots of cash any day imho
“Genius level intellect,” “less judgemental?” Isn’t this the same guy who tells the rest of us we should be cooking food using our dried turds for fuel and re-using toilet paper x4 after it’s properly dried out and folded over on itself?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 08:20   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
ďGenius level intellect,Ē ďless judgemental?Ē Isnít this the same guy who tells the rest of us we should be cooking food using our dried turds for fuel and re-using toilet paper x4 after itís properly dried out and folded over on itself?
Dang . . . and to think I missed all that.
Old 14-05-2019, 08:20   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Mike -- There are now non-Obamacare, term-limited (one year) policies that are quite reasonable premium-wise (no wife, no kids, no smoking, healthy ~ $450/mo). The deductibles/out-of-pocket are steep but I found them to be no worse than what was available with standard Obamacare policies so I went for it. It's underwritten by Aetna and you can use it anywhere. Basically just catastrophic insurance but again, so are OC policies (effectively) because of the $7-10K deductibles/out-of-pocket terms. The "catch" is that certain serious ailments such as cancer & heart disease are excluded, but only after the one-year term expires. At that point you'd probably want to return home anyway, and your Canadian health care would presumably be available to you again.
Hold the horses here Ex, is this correct? Did you mean $450 per month!?! Sorry, but that is completely unreasonable in my world. It may be a good deal, but there is no way I could afford to spend that much on insurance.
Old 14-05-2019, 08:44   #59

Quote:
Hold the horses here Ex, is this correct? Did you mean $450 per month!?! Sorry, but that is completely unreasonable in my world. It may be a good deal, but there is no way I could afford to spend that much on insurance.
Well, there ya go. The state of health insurance in the USA -- if you're self-employed anyway. And yes, I'm pretty sure I fairly characterized ~$450/mo. as "reasonable" generally (think I qualify as pretty 'low-risk'), but certainly as compared to paying over 2x that under Obamacare (no politics intended nor desired!). The entire system is really employer-based at which point it can be quite reasonable from what I hear. Or a HMO but that's usually limited to in-state & choice of providers. Or if you're 65 and eligible for Medicare. IOW, it's a mess!

Sorry this idea wouldn't work out. Maybe some of these short-term (travel?) policies that seem to come up on threads from time to time? (haven't read them)
Old 14-05-2019, 09:17   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Well, there ya go. The state of health insurance in the USA -- if you're self-employed anyway. And yes, I'm pretty sure I fairly characterized ~$450/mo. as "reasonable" generally (think I qualify as pretty 'low-risk'), but certainly as compared to paying over 2x that under Obamacare (no politics intended nor desired!). The entire system is really employer-based at which point it can be quite reasonable from what I hear. Or a HMO but that's usually limited to in-state & choice of providers. Or if you're 65 and eligible for Medicare. IOW, it's a mess!

Sorry this idea wouldn't work out. Maybe some of these short-term (travel?) policies that seem to come up on threads from time to time? (haven't read them)
Iím sure youíre right that it is a good deal, but it is out of this world in my (Canadian) experience. When Iíve travelled in the USA I have bought supplemental Ďpatch me up and ship me homeí kind of insurance. I forget how much it was, but it was a lot less. Probably good Iíve never had to test it .

Too keep this on the budget talk (and like I mentioned), I donít understand how Americans of modest means can ever afford to go cruising. Not trying to be political at all, but your healthcare costs are nuts! I wonít spend $450 in a year ó in many years ó on basic healthcare.

Now dental Ö thatís another story .

Tags
boat