Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2019, 09:26   #61
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Jacksonville/ out cruising
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 31,464
Re: Month eight for a middle-aged couple on a modest boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Sounds like an interesting guy, but then I enjoy reading about nonconformists. If he posts on CF, what's his handle?


90% sure itís Boat Alexander, it may be one word too.
Iím under the impression that he is smarter than the average bear myself, and while I many disagree with some of his opinions, I concede that he is resourceful and smart. He has my respect.
I disagree with many opinions, donít we all?
Last year I think it was he was coming down North Carolina I think it was and was iced in, many were worried for his well being, but I felt sure that he could use his head and at most be uncomfortable.

I believe for instance that he has tried the electric propulsion thing and come to the conclusion that sculling for him is more reliable and likely does just as well.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 09:36   #62
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Jacksonville/ out cruising
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 31,464
Month eight for a middle-aged couple on a modest boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

Too keep this on the budget talk (and like I mentioned), I donít understand how Americans of modest means can ever afford to go cruising. Not trying to be political at all, but your healthcare costs are nuts! I wonít spend $450 in a year ó in many years ó on basic healthcare.


They donít like to admit it, but they do as most lower income people in the US do, they are uninsured.
They go to the Emergency room and the law says they have to be treated, so they are. Iím sure they leave with a monstrous bill that they will never pay, because they canít. But somehow the Hospital has to be able to keep its doors open, so the unpaid costs get paid by those who have Insurence and or the means to do so.
That is a major reason the costs are so high, that so few actually pay.

That is an unpopular statement and Iím sure instant death to say on the political world, but I believe it to be true.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 10:16   #63
Registered User
 
Cthoops's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bahamas
Boat: Bristol 29.9
Posts: 549
Re: Month eight for a middle-aged couple on a modest boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

Too keep this on the budget talk (and like I mentioned), I donít understand how Americans of modest means can ever afford to go cruising. Not trying to be political at all, but your healthcare costs are nuts! I wonít spend $450 in a year ó in many years ó on basic healthcare.

Now dental Ö thatís another story .
In researching Obamacare in different states before we left, the cost of coverage varied widely from state to state. Thatís why weíve maintained our Connecticut residency. One year, based on our 2019 projected income, is $156 in premiums. Thatís for the whole year. Co-pays are $20, and if something really bad happens the total out of pocket deductible is $10,000. We can work with that.
__________________
Our blog: https://www.adventuresontheclub.com
Cthoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 10:40   #64
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 5,170
Re: Month eight for a middle-aged couple on a modest boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post
In researching Obamacare in different states before we left, the cost of coverage varied widely from state to state. Thatís why weíve maintained our Connecticut residency. One year, based on our 2019 projected income, is $156 in premiums. Thatís for the whole year. Co-pays are $20, and if something really bad happens the total out of pocket deductible is $10,000. We can work with that.
Wow! That's remarkably inexpensive (premium-wise that is), and also encouraging to hear. Part of a retirement package? Medicare? Under 40 years old? Limited to a statewide HMO?

There has also been an uptick it seems in "Urgent Care" clinics that operate on a walk-in basis like ER's, but without all the overhead that often goes unpaid as a64 (correctly) described. From what I hear some are pay-as-you-go for those w/o insurance, and are quite reasonable (there's that word again ). Could be an option for someone like Mike who can always return home if something comes up that requires more than immediate care.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 10:41   #65
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 5,170
Re: Month eight for a middle-aged couple on a modest boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
90% sure itís Boat Alexander, it may be one word too.
Iím under the impression that he is smarter than the average bear myself, and while I many disagree with some of his opinions, I concede that he is resourceful and smart. He has my respect.
I disagree with many opinions, donít we all?
Last year I think it was he was coming down North Carolina I think it was and was iced in, many were worried for his well being, but I felt sure that he could use his head and at most be uncomfortable.

I believe for instance that he has tried the electric propulsion thing and come to the conclusion that sculling for him is more reliable and likely does just as well.
I've seen his posts, but maybe in threads unrelated to what you guys are discussing. Thanks.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 11:05   #66
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 10,012
Re: Month eight for a middle-aged couple on a modest boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post
In researching Obamacare in different states before we left, the cost of coverage varied widely from state to state. Thatís why weíve maintained our Connecticut residency. One year, based on our 2019 projected income, is $156 in premiums. Thatís for the whole year. Co-pays are $20, and if something really bad happens the total out of pocket deductible is $10,000. We can work with that.
This is a reasonable premium. The deductible is pretty darn high, but at least the premium sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
They donít like to admit it, but they do as most lower income people in the US do, they are uninsured.
They go to the Emergency room and the law says they have to be treated, so they are. Iím sure they leave with a monstrous bill that they will never pay, because they canít. But somehow the Hospital has to be able to keep its doors open, so the unpaid costs get paid by those who have Insurence and or the means to do so.
That is a major reason the costs are so high, that so few actually pay.

That is an unpopular statement and Iím sure instant death to say on the political world, but I believe it to be true.
The analysis Iíve seen of your healthcare industry suggests other causes for the high costs, but Iím sure this contributes as well. It all adds up to a pretty good argument for some form of collective (socialized) health insurance. But I know Ö the ďsĒ word is like waving a red cape in a bull ring ó at least for some in the USA.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 11:47   #67
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Jacksonville/ out cruising
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 31,464
Re: Month eight for a middle-aged couple on a modest boat.

What could happen if there were a socialized medical care in the US, is that the top earners would continue with privatized care, taking the lion share of the money with them.
The rest of us would be subjected to lower quality care.
That is one of the issues and why so many are against it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 12:00   #68
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 10,012
Re: Month eight for a middle-aged couple on a modest boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
What could happen if there were a socialized medical care in the US, is that the top earners would continue with privatized care, taking the lion share of the money with them.
The rest of us would be subjected to lower quality care.
That is one of the issues and why so many are against it.
The same argument was made here in Canada when we went to government run insurance. Didnít happen here. But it takes some political will to set up the system right.

BTW, despite the reputation, Canada is NOT one of the best to look at. The care and service levels are OK, but the costs are the second highest in the world (although still about 1/2 of the USA). There are much better models out there.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 12:08   #69
S/V rubber ducky
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bahamas cruising currently
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 17,641
Re: Month eight for a middle-aged couple on a modest boat.

Sometimes I wonder why I even post ďhow toísĒ for medical for US critzens cruising in the US and Iím not feeling like 1 finger retyping it here

A note

Went to an Urgent Care a month ago ($10 copay) and they had POSTED prices for common type stuff, and even some semi advanced stuff, and I felt they were very reasonable!!!
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 12:43   #70
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 5,170
Re: Month eight for a middle-aged couple on a modest boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Went to an Urgent Care a month ago ($10 copay) and they had POSTED prices for common type stuff, and even some semi advanced stuff, and I felt they were very reasonable!!!
This is one of the latest attempts at reform, namely a number of states passing "transparency laws" requiring providers to post their pricing. The idea is to promote competition amongst different providers and thereby lower costs. Not sure how effective it's been but it's a needed reform regardless, and the example you cite is encouraging. Hey, if the dysfunctional Feds can't get anything done, then why not let the states have a wack at it?
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 13:17   #71
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 10,012
Re: Month eight for a middle-aged couple on a modest boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Ö Went to an Urgent Care a month ago ($10 copay) and they had POSTED prices for common type stuff, and even some semi advanced stuff, and I felt they were very reasonable!!!
Good idea. Wish our Canadian facilities would do the same.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 13:34   #72
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Jacksonville/ out cruising
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 31,464
Re: Month eight for a middle-aged couple on a modest boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
The same argument was made here in Canada when we went to government run insurance. Didnít happen here. But it takes some political will to set up the system right.



BTW, despite the reputation, Canada is NOT one of the best to look at. The care and service levels are OK, but the costs are the second highest in the world (although still about 1/2 of the USA). There are much better models out there.


A large issue with comparing one system to another is to determine the percentage of people who pay into the system as opposed to the number that collect from it.
Simply put, a lot of the European countries have a higher percentage in the work force paying into the system, so it works and works well.
If however the payees are outnumbered itís not going to work as well.

That and big business getting into the Medical system has been what has changed from many years ago, in my opinion.
When I was a kid, many if not most Drís pretty much were small business owners, they owned and operated their practice, thatís not the case anymore, they are employees for rather large Corporations now.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 13:36   #73
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Jacksonville/ out cruising
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 31,464
Re: Month eight for a middle-aged couple on a modest boat.

The other elephant in the room US wise is our Military, if for example we stopped being the Worldís police force and cut our Military to next to nothing, then most likely we could afford a world class free Medical system.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 13:48   #74
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Fiji Airways/ Lake Ontario
Boat: Want a B430!
Posts: 1,527
Images: 11
Re: Month eight for a middle-aged couple on a modest boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The other elephant in the room US wise is our Military, if for example we stopped being the Worldís police force and cut our Military to next to nothing, then most likely we could afford a world class free Medical system.
Iím struggling to think of something, anything, that government does ďworld classĒ. In theory you are correct but in practice it wonít happen, as funds are drained off for other purposes and ďthe systemĒ becomes an employment scheme for the politically connected and their partisan supporters who are otherwise unemployable.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 13:52   #75
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,951
Re: Month eight for a middle-aged couple on a modest boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The other elephant in the room US wise is our Military, if for example we stopped being the Worldís police force and cut our Military to next to nothing, then most likely we could afford a world class free Medical system.
You wouldn't have to cut your military to next to nothing to be able to pay for a single payer health care system. In fact your current system is running at 17% of your GDP and rising every year faster than inflation and it is not sustainable so something has to happen.
Keep one thing in mind, the USA is the only developed country with health care being run by a for profit system. When happiness,quality of life, longevity or life expectancy, infant mortality etc. are measured the USA scores quite low compared to other western nations and most observers believe it's your medical system. There is no question that high income earners do quite well on your current system but the lower middle class not so much.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
boat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Our cruising costs - month one for a middle-aged couple on a modest boat Cthoops Liveaboard's Forum 51 13-05-2019 19:03
Our cruising costs - month five for a middle-aged couple on a modest boat. Cthoops Liveaboard's Forum 45 21-02-2019 18:31
Our cruising costs - month four for a middle-aged couple on a modest boat. Cthoops Liveaboard's Forum 17 11-01-2019 13:30
Our cruising costs - month three for a middle-aged couple on a modest boat. Cthoops Liveaboard's Forum 26 22-12-2018 20:33
Our cruising costs - month two for a middle-aged couple on a modest boat Cthoops Liveaboard's Forum 37 20-11-2018 12:17

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:06.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.