Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2019, 21:26   #91

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Month eight for a middle-aged couple on a modest boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Wow! That's remarkably inexpensive (premium-wise that is), and also encouraging to hear. Part of a retirement package? Medicare? Under 40 years old? Limited to a statewide HMO?

There has also been an uptick it seems in "Urgent Care" clinics that operate on a walk-in basis like ER's, but without all the overhead that often goes unpaid as a64 (correctly) described. From what I hear some are pay-as-you-go for those w/o insurance, and are quite reasonable (there's that word again ). Could be an option for someone like Mike who can always return home if something comes up that requires more than immediate care.

No... urgent cares are a waste of time and money. They canít actually treat anything. They arenít cheaper than waiting to see a regular doctor and they canít actually treat anything urgent... they are essentially an expensive triage.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 04:28   #92
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Kind of like going to your primary general practitioner???
Old 18-05-2019, 07:17   #93

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 51

My wife and I are Canadian so we are covered but not for out of country stuff. Recently got 2 quotes for 6 months out of country. The quote from RBC Insurance ( Canadian) was 2200 CDN. The quote from a US carrier was 10,500 US. Big difference.

Part of the difference that RBC will get you stabilized and fly you back to Canada but there is 10 million basic coverage.

I would not travel in the US without insurance. My brother-in-law had insurance but unfortunately the travel agent made a mess of it and he was not covered when he had a motorcycle accident. In the hospital for exactly 3.5 days. Had a foot amputated. Cost 186k US. This was only the hospital bill. The bill from the doctors at the hospital was no in that and neither was the chopper flight from the highway.
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 07:46   #94

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Kind of like going to your primary general practitioner???
That's open on the weekends . . . .
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 13:52   #95

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
My wife and I are Canadian so we are covered but not for out of country stuff. Recently got 2 quotes for 6 months out of country. The quote from RBC Insurance ( Canadian) was 2200 CDN. The quote from a US carrier was 10,500 US. Big difference.

Part of the difference that RBC will get you stabilized and fly you back to Canada but there is 10 million basic coverage.

I would not travel in the US without insurance. My brother-in-law had insurance but unfortunately the travel agent made a mess of it and he was not covered when he had a motorcycle accident. In the hospital for exactly 3.5 days. Had a foot amputated. Cost 186k US. This was only the hospital bill. The bill from the doctors at the hospital was no in that and neither was the chopper flight from the highway.
Sorry to hear about your brothers accident. Did this bill actually get paid? It usualy takes months for the hospital stay bills to come in and a fair number in cases like this are ignored.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat