Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2020, 09:15   #31

Boat: Neel 51
Re: How to connect Matsutec HA102 AIS transponder to Raymarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurDent View Post
Just my own Signal is not at e.g. Marinetraffic. A Marinetraffic Station is near by, so they should reach my signal.
Does the HA-102 has a silent mode or something like this? i´ve just connected Power (+/-) and the orange wire to receive data.
Matsutek doesn't have a silent mode.
When I set up mine last year it worked instantly as expected. Other ships could see me. But marinetraffic showed with a delay up to 30mins.
colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:02   #32

Thanks for reply.
I have ask some other Yachtsmen and they told me that first my MMSI was seen an at least after some minutes my Ship Name was displayed on the AIS.
Marinetraffic still after 5 hours wirhout.
Dosn´t matter, via VHF is important.

Thanks again, Arthur Dent
ArthurDent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:19   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Took us a couple of days recently to appear on Marine Traffic. This one was quicker just a few hours:

https://www.vesselfinder.com/
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 14:01   #34

Hi there. I have some informations for HA-102 owners:
1.) if you have some issues with AIS transmission - you may have the same issue like me: frequency of the transmitter is not accurate. My is 161.972,5 and 162.022,5kHz. Thats mean that some AIS receivers has problem with receive your signal right! for example RTL-SDR AIS is not able to receive it at all. It has many CRC and other errors. But my older dAISy AIS receiver is able to receive my signal propperly. Now I am trying to communicate with the seller - so we will se -he looks that he realy want to help me with it.
2.) about connecting to the other NMEA equipments - i check the cable and HA-102 transponder and little bit scare abou RS-422 connections:FYI - 9 PIN serial connector has 3 PINS - GND, TX, RX. TX and RX are at paralell connections (INSIDE) to the external cable (white and orange wires),violet, gray and yelow wires of the cable are not connected inside the transmitter! so thats mean that only green, blue and brown left and that is not enought for dual RS422 (two wires for each chanel ((+ and -))). May be one RS422 only and second RS232 TX on GREEN for GPS out only?
The descriptions at the manual are wrong.
RS 232 sending AIS and GPS together.
I found that sometimes transmitter indicate transmitting by RED LED, but my RTL SDR radio scanner software says nothing..no signal!
What is amazing is AIS receivers sensitivity - perfect.
Stepan
Hall80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:01   #35

One more interesting (but may be normal) thing - HA-102 sending 3 messages in a row.
First has: MMSI, position, *************, Class type,end type
Second has:MMSI, Name of the boat
Third has:MMSI, Type, Vendor ID, Call sign, Lenght(m), Beam(m)
It is interesting (for me)..each of that messages has different chanel (B,A,B). I can see it with terminal on the NMEA data like local message !AIVDO..but I think that it is not really sended over the transmitter - it is for local NMEA equipments(!AIVDO). For transmitted !AIVDM is only one message one time I think..depended on the free time slot for class B type of the vessel and internal transmitting time calculation for class B vessel.
I think that it is why other ships can see your MMSI without NAME for first time and after some couple of seconds NAME, lenght, flag, etc,

Bye =)
Old 24-04-2020, 03:29   #36

Hi there.
FYI - problem with the transponder frequency was SOLVED. I contacted the manufacturer of the Matsutec HA-102 directly, and he has sent to me new firmware with the repaired transponder frequency. Now the transponder frequency is really accurate and without any problem!
And second new thing is that now I can see BEIDOU GPS (with GNSS Viewer software) and may be GLONASS/GALILEO will be working too, when I will be outside the building..from the HA-102 serial port directly =)).
Now I am really hapy with this AIS Transponder with dual AIS receiver (really very sensitive) and with GPS at one package=)).
Old 22-12-2020, 03:37   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall80 View Post
Hi there.
FYI - problem with the transponder frequency was SOLVED. I contacted the manufacturer of the Matsutec HA-102 directly, and he has sent to me new firmware with the repaired transponder frequency. Now the transponder frequency is really accurate and without any problem!
And second new thing is that now I can see BEIDOU GPS (with GNSS Viewer software) and may be GLONASS/GALILEO will be working too, when I will be outside the building..from the HA-102 serial port directly =)).
Now I am really hapy with this AIS Transponder with dual AIS receiver (really very sensitive) and with GPS at one package=)).

@Hall80 could you publish the firmware version you got or maybe the file itself? Was it a special version they made for your hardware or a general update? And how did you do the update?
Thanks!
ray122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 11:35   #38

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel View Post
Works for me with B&G Zeus 2.

Zeus doesn't have a dedicated NMEA 0183 port but has a combined Video + 0183 port.
Green from AIS goes to RX+ (pin 7) of Zeus
Blue to TX+ (pin 6).
Brown is (should be) commoned with cable shield and goes to pins 5 and 8.

Zeus pin layout:
Nmea0183 wiring | B&G Zeus 12 User Manual | Page 31 / 63

I couldn't source a proper shielded cable and (temporary) used a non shielded video cable.

Zeus had default settings of bitrate 9600 and it didn't work. I've switched to 38400 and it started working fine.

In theory NMEA 0183 requires a shielded cable. Speed of 38400 means it's so called NMEA 0183 HS. HS means high speed which implies it a good idea to use a shielded cable for such a crucial application.

Dear Colonel please, can you give me the instructions to switch to 38400 the device?
Thanks
singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 13:41   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall80 View Post
One more interesting (but may be normal) thing - HA-102 sending 3 messages in a row.
First has: MMSI, position, *************, Class type,end type
Second has:MMSI, Name of the boat
Third has:MMSI, Type, Vendor ID, Call sign, Lenght(m), Beam(m)
It is interesting (for me)..each of that messages has different chanel (B,A,B). I can see it with terminal on the NMEA data like local message !AIVDO..but I think that it is not really sended over the transmitter - it is for local NMEA equipments(!AIVDO). For transmitted !AIVDM is only one message one time I think..depended on the free time slot for class B type of the vessel and internal transmitting time calculation for class B vessel.
I think that it is why other ships can see your MMSI without NAME for first time and after some couple of seconds NAME, lenght, flag, etc,

Bye =)

Hi, I’ve just bought the same AIS, and using my SDR I’ve identified the same behaviour of being slightly off frequency.

Unfortunately the seller I used is clearly not as responsive as yours, so would you mind sharing the firmware you were provided? Also any instructions to upload it would be appreciated, I assume it’s flashed with something like ArduinoIDE.
dreisday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 01:47   #40

Hall80, Dreisday
I have also bought the HA-102 Yesterday I managed to configure the MMSI etc details with HA_config.exe tool.
But have some problems still. I communicate directly with Matsutec and yesterday I sent following:
"Dear Matsutec,
I have successfully configured the HA-102 by means of your tool and the instruction.
According to the HA-102 User Manual I quote:
" 6.1 Working Condition According to the requirements of 4.2, connect device and turn on the power supply, red, yellow, blue, green LED on device flash twice, then yellow and green LED will keep constant light, and other LED go out. At this time, the device state at the initialization and GPS positioning. When GPS positioning is completed, the yellow LED is off, the green LED is constant light, at this time the device is in normal working condition. If you find the red LED is in constant light, that indicates the equipment is working un-properly, you need to check if the power supply voltage, GPS, VHF antennas connected correctly."

But on my HA-102 only the green LED is turned on when I turn on the power supply. I have checked the power supply (12volt), the VHF antenna and the GPS antenna. They are all OK.
1minute and 15 seconds after I turn on power supply the red TX LED flashes 5 times. The red LED is never in constant light.
But when I turn on power supply red, yellow, blue, and green LED does not flash twice and the yellow LED does not light during initialization and GPS positioning.
Another thing: the signal on green wire, NMEA RS232 GPS OUT is constantly 3.3 volt

Do you think that my HA-102 has correct Firmware?
Or is there another problem? "
unquote

Dreisday, Hall80: how is the LED's pattern just after power ON? and what is voltage on green wire.
The voltage on orange wire on my HA-102 is at normal RS232 levels shifting between +/- 6 volt
Thyrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 02:14   #41

Without going to the boat I can't say for certain. However, I recall all the lights illuminate briefly on power on and then just the green remains illuminated, even whilst establishing a GPS fix. The Tx and Rx LEDs flash periodically depending on activity.

I am using the 38400-baud serial output, which is Orange(Tx) and Brown(Gnd), and that gives me AIS and GPS data into my chart plotter. Maybe try that output as I've not tried the Green wire, and I'm not sure what baud rate it's set at (Calling it GPS would to me suggest it's 4800, but the manual doesn't specify).
dreisday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 14:17   #42

Boat: 1979 Californian 34

Hi All. I have a Matsutec HA-102 transponder and am trying to run it on my MacBook Pro which has Open CPN chart plotting. I’m having difficulty getting anything on the laptop. Does anyone have similar experiences or suggestions?
OnTheSea60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:10   #43

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by amim View Post
After struggling with the above connection now its working, the right way to do it is:
The ornge from the AIS should be connected to the orange white on the C120W
The brown from the AIS should be connected to the orange green on the C120W
Now it is working
Hope it will save to some one out there
Do I need to connect the HA-102 directly to the chartplotter Raymarine hybrid e or can I connect this to any nmea0183 or seatalk 1 plug at the navstation.
My plotter is at the helm station of the cat but I wanna install this AIS at the navstation in the salon.
What cable exactly would I need to connect the HA-102 to the Raymarine hybrid touch e7, could someone maybe provide a link to a cable?
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 16:31   #44

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Anybody have download URL for updated Firmware? re Tx frequency offset.
It is not included in HA-102-CD.rar, which has everything else.
Thanks.
lateral is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 18:41   #45

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel View Post
Works for me with B&G Zeus 2.

Zeus doesn't have a dedicated NMEA 0183 port but has a combined Video + 0183 port.
Green from AIS goes to RX+ (pin 7) of Zeus
Blue to TX+ (pin 6).
Brown is (should be) commoned with cable shield and goes to pins 5 and 8.

Zeus pin layout:
Nmea0183 wiring | B&G Zeus 12 User Manual | Page 31 / 63

I couldn't source a proper shielded cable and (temporary) used a non shielded video cable.

Zeus had default settings of bitrate 9600 and it didn't work. I've switched to 38400 and it started working fine.

In theory NMEA 0183 requires a shielded cable. Speed of 38400 means it's so called NMEA 0183 HS. HS means high speed which implies it a good idea to use a shielded cable for such a crucial application.
Cheers!
Can you initiate a DSC call from your Zeus with this setup.?
I have a SH gx2100 receive only so I guess it would be best to disable this.
lateral is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, grass, marine, raymarine