Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2023, 06:56   #1

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Got hit by lightning - suggestions for repair path

Good evening,

two days ago, in the middle of the night, we got hit by a lightnight strike, straight into our mast. Location: Koh Rok, Andaman Sea, Thailand. Very beautifull place... Great diving and very nice beaches.

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40.

Damage assessed so far:

- Battery charger (Quick SBC 700 NRG) Error 2 - open fuse - not working
- OEM Electric panel in salon shows damage of 12V circuit brakers and some blown out frames and bezels. open PCB´s looks burned
- Blue System DC Multimeter in panel not working (type: 8248)
- VHF (Ray 60) not working
- AIS (EMTrak B924) not working
- Raymarine Axiom 9 plotter not working
- Raymarine I70p not working
- Raymarine Autopilot not working
- Raymarine Radar not working
- The complete Yanmar instrumentation (B20 panels, Ampmeters, Fuelgauges...) at helm station are dead - however: i am able to start and stop the Yanmar engines with the start and stop buttons of the B20 pannels... so we were able to motor back to Krabi Marina, were the vessel is berthed.
- Anchor light not working
- Nav lights not working
- VHF Antenna seems to be "gone"
- Some of the LED interior lights are not working, most are still OK
- All USB connections in the vessel are dead

Strange behavior of the battery charging system: As the battery charger is not working, i expected no charging of the hose bank at all. However, when running the engines or the generator, there is a small charge to 12,4 Volts (not more as the usual 13 something Volts). Exactly the same voltage the engine batteries are showing.
Could there be some kind of "contingency" charging from the engine alternators or the generator, in case of the Battery charger failure?

How would you address the issues?

We just arrived back today in the Marina. First step was to open up the Battery charger and found a couple of blown internal fuses. Will replace them asap and check again the system.

Any help or ideas are very much appreciated!

John
Old 03-05-2023, 07:08   #2
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Got hit by lightning - suggestions for repair path

We got hit by lightning and had almost no damage to electronics but had below the waterline hull damage. My friend got hit by lightning and is still having electronics giving up the ghost month’s later.
I would get a full out of the water survey done.
On further reflection I believe Leopards are balsa cored below the waterline so a haul would be a top priority if she were my catamaran.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 07:17   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Got hit by lightning - suggestions for repair path

I got hit by lightning once. It fried a lot of things on the boat, a lot, but not all. Could not say why some escaped damage and others did not.

A strike can jump across a fuse and damage other electronical parts. I also had a problem with static electricity and was unable to touch any electronic devices for a good hour after.

You'll have to check everything one thing at a time. Problems may also exist in 12v power lines to a device, ie, the line could be fried and not the device.

Also, open the back of the battery selector switch or switches, see if there is a problem there, as a lightning strike can jump across a terminal, etc.

Many diesel engines have a built in fuse protector, find this and check it. Some have a spare fuse right under the blown fuse.

It's a time consuming process....no two ways around it...
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 09:44   #4

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I see a trip to duty free Langkawi in your near future.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 09:50   #5

Boat: Privilege 435

Do you have insurance of any kind?

We got struck and we had to replace almost everything…

Part of that was because Privilege had custom relay boards for everything, and they’re not made anymore.

Lots of rewiring and replaced all Nav electronics and many other components. Took months. So sorry this happened to you.
Old 03-05-2023, 16:22   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If you have insurance, do not settle on the claim till you've had a thorough survey. Some friends of ours were struck by lightning at the dock in Oz, totaled their electronics, and some things didn't show up for months. Be warned. I hope your damages are less than theirs.

Ann
Old 03-05-2023, 17:29   #7

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m

I worked on a boat years ago after a strike, all electronics and electrics were dead. Riggers had to cut the pins out of the rigging toggles, because they were welded in. Many strands of 1x19 rig wire were fused together. I was told the owners watch also stopped working, but could not confirm this.
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 19:59   #8

Boat: 2005 Albin 35CB

The VHF antenna on our previous boat, an Albin 28TE, was hit by lightning at the dock in 2019. Most of the electrical components and electronics were damaged or destroyed including:

All electronics (MFD, radar, VHF)
VHF antenna burned (obviously)
Alternator
Battery charger
110V electrical panel singed; all breakers replaced
All DC breakers replaced
2 engine wiring harnesses (Cummins 6BTA)
110 wiring from shore power inlet to 110 panel exploded
Shore power cord insulation blown off in an 18" length
1 bilge pump
Stereo
Some 12V lights - random
Cummins instrument panel
Shower sump

There were no holes in the hull, but there were some strange star-like patterns. All were ground down and found to be very localized with only superficial damage.

Our insurance company - Travelers - was amazing.

I think you'll find that very little can be repaired and that replacement is the safest route.

We were able to run the engine, and initially thought that everything was fine, but soon discovered that the batteries weren't being charged and the hour meter didn't work. That's when we decided that the wiring harnesses had to be replaced along with the alternator. We weren't about to trust possibly compromised components. I suppose we might set the priorities differently if it had been a sailboat where we didn't necessarily have to rely on the engine.

I wish you lots of luck.
nwh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 05:51   #9

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Thank you very much for all your suggestions, advice and help. Very much appreciated!

Today i was able to replace the blown out internal 35A fuses in the Quick battery charger. After that, the unit did its job like before, charging from shore, engines or generator. So maybe i got lucky on this one... lets see.

I will keep you guys posted on the developement.

We do have insurance, but i have to check the fine print in the contract. Especially for deductables in case of lightning, how much they will pay for 5-6 year old equipment and for further requirements they are asking now.

John
Old 04-05-2023, 09:53   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We had a glance hit 2 years ago. Neighbor got hit, it traveled thru the water to our bonding system, and then did its damage. Anything networked was toast. Insurance was good, but we are still having issues that might be related.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 11:15   #11
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

It seems in the US the insurance companies usually leave the claim open after a lightning strike as they know more damage may be found at a later date.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 12:30   #12

Boat: Privilege 435

Our insurance paid out over $100k for the damage. And even though we lost a season, everything is brand spanking new. We had over 10 year old equipment.

I’m not sure all insurance companies would be as friendly…
Old 05-05-2023, 12:44   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

When I got hit by lightning, I still had my steel boat at the time. Being so well grounded, may explain, why some devices got fried and others didn't.

Besides the damage, getting hit by lightning, was a surreal experience. An enormous clap of thunder and a blinding white light. I was in the cockpit at the time and it scared the bejeezus out of me. Fortunately, only ever happened once.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 13:24   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscis View Post
Thank you very much for all your suggestions, advice and help. Very much appreciated!

Today i was able to replace the blown out internal 35A fuses in the Quick battery charger. After that, the unit did its job like before, charging from shore, engines or generator. So maybe i got lucky on this one... lets see.

I will keep you guys posted on the developement.

We do have insurance, but i have to check the fine print in the contract. Especially for deductables in case of lightning, how much they will pay for 5-6 year old equipment and for further requirements they are asking now.

John
You are heading into a long involved process. Some advice from someone who used to do marine insurance investigations (me)...

Do not talk to your insurance company, communicate in writing or e-mails and keep them all. Take photos of every fault you find and digitally date them.

Find your own surveyor with Marine Electrical Certification. Do not rely on the underwriters surveyor.
Old 05-05-2023, 13:46   #15

Boat: Kanter 54

Having just spent 3 yrs in Phuket refitting during covid, then as mentioned anything not covered by insurance will be much cheaper shipping to Langkawi. If required PM me for my thoughts on contacts in Phuket who can help. Sorry don't know the ropes in Krabi.
Audeamus is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
lightning, repair