Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2023, 09:01   #1

Boat: Van de Stadt Norman 40
Van de Stadt Norman 40 rudder removal

Hello everyone. I hope you are all having a wonderful day. We purchased a Van de Stadt Norman 40 a year ago and since then it has been out of the water for some important restorations in the hull. Only a couple of days before we launched it we have started hearing a loud squeak that reverberates through the whole boat when you spin the rudder's wheel. At first we thought it might have been a problem with the stuffing inside the shaft, as it wasn't only the squeak but a big difficulty to spin the wheel correctly. Today as we were removing some of the stuffing, we found out a broken bearing inside that might be causing the problem. The thing is we don't have the plans of this boat's rudder neither any information on how to remove it. If any of you knows the process of the rudder's removal in this kind of boat I would kindly appreciate it. Thank you very much and have a nice week you all.
LauraVandeStadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 17:56   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Van de Stadt Norman 40 rudder removal

As noted above, “ This forum is for posing questions about the forum itself, not for tech support for marine electronics or other boating questions. It is read by the forum managers, not hopefully helpful cruisers. Scroll down under the Forums button to find the most appropriate forum for your boating question.”.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2024, 09:38   #3

Boat: Van de Stadt 44 #393 Aluminium

Hi @LauraVandeStadt, how are you?

I was looking for Van de Stadt mentions as I bumped into yours, hope that by now you had already solved your rudder challenges.

I did not find any other post from you so wonder how you got if fixed. I might take out my rudder soon to review bearings as I am sometimes hearing a little noise depending on the rudder position and believe i might have a bearing needing replacement or at least cleaning and regreasing.

Best,

Gus
gtpinhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2024, 19:10   #4

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraVandeStadt View Post
Hello everyone. I hope you are all having a wonderful day. We purchased a Van de Stadt Norman 40 a year ago and since then it has been out of the water for some important restorations in the hull. Only a couple of days before we launched it we have started hearing a loud squeak that reverberates through the whole boat when you spin the rudder's wheel. At first we thought it might have been a problem with the stuffing inside the shaft, as it wasn't only the squeak but a big difficulty to spin the wheel correctly. Today as we were removing some of the stuffing, we found out a broken bearing inside that might be causing the problem. The thing is we don't have the plans of this boat's rudder neither any information on how to remove it. If any of you knows the process of the rudder's removal in this kind of boat I would kindly appreciate it. Thank you very much and have a nice week you all.
Why don't you ask your husband? (He designed the boat didn't he)
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2024, 21:54   #5

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpinhei View Post
Hi @LauraVandeStadt, how are you?

I was looking for Van de Stadt mentions as I bumped into yours, hope that by now you had already solved your rudder challenges.

I did not find any other post from you so wonder how you got if fixed. I might take out my rudder soon to review bearings as I am sometimes hearing a little noise depending on the rudder position and believe i might have a bearing needing replacement or at least cleaning and regreasing.

Best,

Gus
Laura made her post in July 2023 and hasn't logged on to the forum since.
Maybe you are pushing your luck .

(NOTE I think the Moderators will close this thread)
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal, rudder