Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2024, 09:49   #1

Boat: Razzle Dazzle - 61ft Simpson / Crowther Daggerboard Cat ‘93
Fast (light) RIB

Pounding 5-8 miles into chop three times in the last few days. Not even great the other way as you are overtaking into troughs.

Who makes a RIB with a deep v hull that you can still hang off the rear of a cat?

I went on a big 16 man one that had saddle seats, that was amazing.

Is there a ~11ft rib equivalent? Maybe 25-40hp.
nfbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2024, 13:28   #2

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Fast (light) RIB

There's no replacement for displacement.

A bigger, heavier hull is going to pound a lot less than a smaller, lighter one, all else being equal. A deep V will help, too. So, you're after the deepest, heaviest hull that you're still comfortable hanging off your davits. Everything in boat design is a compromise.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2024, 17:08   #3

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

And to add to what Tom said, heavier load in the same dinghy will usually ride better. I've run ours in chop where it would pound the snot out of your back when solo unless you slowed way down and dropped off plane. Add a second person and you can run WOT in the same chop comfortably enough, just wetter than with a lighter load.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2024, 17:29   #4

I have an AB aluminum double hull 310 RIB with 20hp Tohatsu. It's a pretty deep vee and likely as good as you'll find in a 11'-12' RIB. But 5-miles is a long way to go in chop on any boat that size especially sitting on the tube with tiller steer (my setup. Better would be something with a fore/aft bench like a jetski - the side/side bench puts weight too far aft.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2024, 21:20   #5

An 11 foot RIB with a 40Hp motor? Damn... That's not a dinghy, that a rocket ship.

What works for you depends on how you use your dinghy. Anything in the direction you are looking at pretty much eliminates the ability to routinely beach the dinghy, unless you and your crew are a LOT bigger and stronger than we are. .

That of course is not an issue if you cruise from one dinghy dock to another. We much prefer the isolated lonely islands without dinghy docks, so a big, heavy RIB with a monster (i.e., >15HP) outboard are not on our list of desirable features because we can not manhandle such a thing up a soft sand beach, much less launch it into even a tiny surf.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2024, 23:54   #6

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
An 11 foot RIB with a 40Hp motor? Damn... That's not a dinghy, that a rocket ship.

What works for you depends on how you use your dinghy. Anything in the direction you are looking at pretty much eliminates the ability to routinely beach the dinghy, unless you and your crew are a LOT bigger and stronger than we are. .

That of course is not an issue if you cruise from one dinghy dock to another. We much prefer the isolated lonely islands without dinghy docks, so a big, heavy RIB with a monster (i.e., >15HP) outboard are not on our list of desirable features because we can not manhandle such a thing up a soft sand beach, much less launch it into even a tiny surf.

While I agree with your post, they would have also have the option to anchor the dinghy after stepping to the beach (at least in non rock bottom locations).

We do this often and with a bit of practice you hardly get your feet wet when doing so (az least in calm conditions).
Old 25-05-2024, 04:07   #7

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Launching into even the mildest surf is always a challenge. Too big a boat is a liability here, as is too small. I've never personally anchored the dinghy, but I like the idea. Or just set an anchor before beaching, and bring the rode ashore with you. Then you can pull yourself back out using the rode.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2024, 04:22   #8

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

We place the anchor and chain on the dinghy foredeck, ready to fall.
Then attach a thin long line at the bitter end of the anchor and go to shore.

Step on the beach, strongly push the dinghy away from shore. After few m/ft yank the thin line hard. Dinghy is anchored. Attach thin line to something on shore. Upon return pull on the thin line and the anchor and dinghy come to you, because the anchor gets his pull from the "wrong" side.

Tags
rib