Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2014, 09:54   #31

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Propane Tank Recertification

Quote:
Originally Posted by atexasex View Post
I took our spare LP tank to get refilled in Chesapeake VA and it too was out of certification (only lasts 10 yrs apparently). The Propane place re-cert'ed it and filled in for $20.00 total

The guy said they had similar ones in stock if I needed a spare. I told him this one was the spare. His price for a new one was $230.00. I had no idea these aluminum tanks were so expensive.
The standard 20 lb steel tanks are $30 or so empty, $50 filled in the USA. You can exchange empty one for full ones at home centers, gas stations, grocery stores and convenience stores. Or you can find a place that will refill them and probably put 20 lb in them.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:59   #32

Boat: Hunter 460, 46'

Mine are the small aluminum ones. No exchanges possibel so they need to be refilled at an actual propane store. Steel ones are not so good in a marine environment.
atexasex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:09   #33

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by atexasex View Post
Mine are the small aluminum ones. No exchanges possibel so they need to be refilled at an actual propane store. Steel ones are not so good in a marine environment.
That's one reason why I often trade mine in. The other reason is convenience.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:50   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
The standard 20 lb steel tanks are $30 or so empty, $50 filled in the USA. You can exchange empty one for full ones at home centers, gas stations, grocery stores and convenience stores. Or you can find a place that will refill them and probably put 20 lb in them.
There is a gas station that I like because they have the lowest prices and sell gas, diesel, red diesel, race gas (110) and propane. They also have $6 car washes and take 20 cents off per gal with the wash. One stop shop when I fill up the truck, and gas cans, propane bottles, etc. They never look at the cert. on the tanks.

Recently, Costco started selling propane, and their price started off at $2.49/gal as opposed to $3/gal that everyone else charged. I went there with 2 5 gal and 2 7.5 gal tanks. To my surprise, the guy checks the tanks and tells me one 5 and one 7.5 both need recert, but he can refill the other 2. He puts the tanks on a scale (I've never seen that done either) and starts refilling them. I get a receipt that shows the weight and gal of propane sold, plus it shows the cert. date of the tank!

He told me they sold new tanks inside, about $38 for a 5 gal and (IIRC) about $68 for a 7.5 gal. I bought another 7.5 gal tank and he filled that, too.

Then I drove over to my fave gas station to get the other 2 tanks filled and the owner told me he had dropped his price to $2.49/gal to compete with Costco! Got them both filled, no hassle. Now Costco has dropped their price to $2.15/gal, it's going to be tough for the gas stations to compete!
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:47   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

socal,
You have a hot air balloon or something , what are you doing with all that propane?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:42   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: propane tank recertification

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
There's a fourth method, no re-certification needed for ASME tanks.
No gas expert but aren't ASME tanks only large home or commercial tanks and not an option for boats?

I looked at the standards and one said tanks must be mounted level. Could be a problem for monohulls.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 13:01   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
socal,
You have a hot air balloon or something , what are you doing with all that propane?
I have 2 trailers, 1 is a rental. We only go to the desert in the winter, so the night time temps are down in the low 40s, a few times down to low 30s. Between fridges, furnaces, stoves, ovens, BBQs, and my goofy contraption, "Dial a Fire" I go through a good amount of propane.

It's a $250 fine for using gas to start a fire in the Imperial Sand Dunes, but most still do it. I use "Dial a Fire", a propane burner from a fake fireplace buried in the sand under a pile of wood to start the campfire. Instant, smokeless heat, I can adjust it up or down, the wood catches really fast and if we want a little more heat just before shutdown without wasting wood, I just turn up the burner. Plus it's legal. A few nights of that will burn up 5 gal of propane.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 13:12   #38
CLOD

Boat: none

hope people have noted the point of the thread:

Its that before you replace an expensive propane bottle with a new because the certification has expired, look into getting it recertified.
Old 11-09-2014, 13:18   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I was wondering if you were Hot-Rodding the truck
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 13:53   #40

Boat: Rinker 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by john540 View Post
What is a standard size boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
50 feet.
My propane tank:
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 14:05   #41

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
With the valves that have been required since 2002, you can't put 20 lbs of propane in a 20 lb tank in the US anymore. The OPD limits the fill to 80% of capacity, and even Bubba knows to check for the triangular valve knob.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 17:45   #42

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
No gas expert but aren't ASME tanks only large home or commercial tanks and not an option for boats?

I looked at the standards and one said tanks must be mounted level. Could be a problem for monohulls.
Mine is a 10 lb horizontal tank. The Cal 34 I sailed on before I got my boat had a 5 or 10 lb horizontal ASME tank as well. Quick google found a 5.5 gallon tank. LP Gas Tank, 5-1/2 Gal. - $462.90

I thought I had heard something that ASME is no longer available. In light of the above link, it could be that portable ASME tanks are no longer available, only permanent mount. But I haven't found anything to confirm that.

Well DOT cylinders designed for vertical use must be set vertical, and horizontal use must be set horizontal. I guess you shouldn't be using any propane on monohulls in that case.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 19:44   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Mine is a 10 lb horizontal tank. The Cal 34 I sailed on before I got my boat had a 5 or 10 lb horizontal ASME tank as well. Quick google found a 5.5 gallon tank. LP Gas Tank, 5-1/2 Gal. - $462.90

I thought I had heard something that ASME is no longer available. In light of the above link, it could be that portable ASME tanks are no longer available, only permanent mount. But I haven't found anything to confirm that.

Well DOT cylinders designed for vertical use must be set vertical, and horizontal use must be set horizontal. I guess you shouldn't be using any propane on monohulls in that case.
Guess we have all been lucky that we didn't blow ourselves up cooking underway.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 16:59   #44

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Propane tank recertification? I never heard of such a thing. Is it some sort of scam?

My boat had two 10 lb tanks that were old and unbelievably rusty. I replaced them last year, but no one ever refused to fill them.

Everyone has a good sniffer and a vented propane locker, right?
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 18:23   #45

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Propane tank recertification? I never heard of such a thing. Is it some sort of scam?

My boat had two 10 lb tanks that were old and unbelievably rusty. I replaced them last year, but no one ever refused to fill them.

Everyone has a good sniffer and a vented propane locker, right?
You must be friends with the gas people. In the third world, no one seems to care but in the USA they seem to be all over the new style valve. For 10 years or so now.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
certification, propane