Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2020, 13:43   #46
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Critique my 5-year plan

As someone who started here as a wannabe with no sailing experience en who made it to full time cruiser i feel so many here make it way too hard. Sailing is easy really, get out there and do it. But if your goal is to cruise my advise is to focus on cruising stuff, not sailing stuff.

Even though i don't agree with any type of intermediate boat, if thats what it takes for the OP to get started and getting it i hope he does it.

Just do it, all plans work if you do them!
Old 04-10-2020, 14:36   #47

Boat: Hunter 38

There's some useful information in the thread, and some good thoughts to ponder, thanks

There's also a handful of utter pricks on here.

That part surprised me.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 14:40   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
"Chartering a boat will not teach you how to operate one that you OWN and are responsible for maintaining."
True. But chartering crappy boats will give some insight.

Like the crap 36' catamaran I chartered from a place in Ft. Lauderdale whose throttle quadrant had to be macguyvered in the middle of the night in the middle of the gulf stream half way to bimini, and whose headsail blew out the entire luff later in the week
Old 04-10-2020, 14:45   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingSue View Post
most “men” who are that girls age are as useless as a pork pie in a synagogue.....
omg I truly lol'd on that one

As for the prick up there, you may be crapping your pants at 75, I won't be.
Old 04-10-2020, 14:55   #50

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
...There's also a handful of utter pricks on here.

That part surprised me.
You haven't been here long.
Old 04-10-2020, 15:02   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
The problem with racing is....well I'm slightly competitive.

In fact, I bet I'm more competitive than you! (lol). I mean, when I get into a competition the red mist comes down, the fangs come out, and its full on.

Not conducive to my plan I think lol...
Well I understand that, but the good thing about racing, especially if you do it on someone else's boat is that you'll get exposed to a lot of skills, quickly, and at someone else's expense. One year on a race crew is really valuable. Five years and you'll be the first mate. The owner will offer the boat to you for summer vacations. Your GF could get on a separate boat, even better. If either of you don't like that experience, easy to walk away.

If you want I'll tell you how to do it.
Old 04-10-2020, 15:47   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

let me get this straight.....

you come on here bragging about all your ASA courses, your flying skills, your Porsche-skills...your mechanical skills, your gf who is 30 years younger than you...and the big pile of money you have in the bank...

and you think there is handful of pricks here......????
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 15:48   #53

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Fred, I really liked your story...fancy that!

I never saw a written plan of Jim's, so i don't know if he had one or not. But, we did take the Yankee 30 from SF to HI and return, and learned that we wanted a somewhat larger boat for going cruising on. Lived aboard and cruised the 36 footer for 18 yrs. I really get that experience in a variety of boats hones preferences. And I think it's harder for the 60+ crowd than it was for us.

Ann
Old 04-10-2020, 16:01   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
let me get this straight.....

you come on here bragging about all your ASA courses, your flying skills, your Porsche-skills...your mechanical skills, your gf who is 30 years younger than you...and the big pile of money you have in the bank...

and you think there is handful of pricks here......????
Well, I can think of one.

MicHughV, flightlead404 came on here in good faith to see what we thought, and he could be an addition to the forum, and I won't particularly like it if you run him off.
Old 04-10-2020, 16:03   #55
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Having spent the last 10 years getting distracted and finally convincing my wife to retire , so we can bugger off sailing in warm Med waters , all I can say is that there is a trade off between time and money , you can earn more and have less time or have time and less money. But , time can’t be made, money can, so go as soon as you can , or you’ll wake up dead
Old 04-10-2020, 16:10   #56
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

wingssail....knock yourself out....I don't see where Porsche's, flying time, young gf's or other side attractions, have anything to do with sailing.

The OP specifically asked " Critique my 5-year Plan" so I, and others, did just that...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 17:49   #57

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Flightlead,
We have been dreaming and planning of live aboard life for at least a decade. I joined this forum with a five year plan. I bought and sailed an interim boat. I had "pricks" on here criticize me on how I did it.

I now live aboard a sailing catamaran.

You have legitimate reasons for the delay and it's your life and your plan. Live it as you need. Don't stress about the haters on here and keep working towards it.
There are as many ways to live aboard as there are people living aboard.
The greatest part is that there is no "one" way. Your way will work too as long as you keep working towards it.
Good luck and keep at it
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 18:30   #58
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Well, Hartings, its true (most of it. it was actually a 12 year plan but we completed it in 11 years, and it took two pages, see below). If you doubt me probably you are projecting, it's not my style to exaggerate or tell untruths.

As for boring, maybe to you. We spent 10 years living on board in Seattle, working in the city, racing once or twice a week, and cruising the Pacific North West. None of that time was boring. Then we left and for more than 20 years cruised the world, 35 countries, a circumnavigation. Along the way we had adventures, the memories of which thrill us every day. We met many people of many cultures, and saw sights so rare. We also still raced and by now have raced over 450 times. All of it is what we love and there hasn't been a boring day.

If you want more boring, go to the blog. I'm sure it will bore the hell out of you.

Here is the actual, original, plan.

And, not only that, but were presented as an example of several good things in at least one of Steve Dashew's books!!! And not for boring things. Well done.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 18:38   #59

I think flightlead will be ok. Keep doing what your doing man.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 18:48   #60
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

In my opinion, the number one goal is to keep the girlfriend, because an enthusiastic partner is a wonderful thing, and she is the most crucial element to the cruise! In order to do that, you need to keep the girlfriend happy, which means its more important what SHE thinks, than what WE think. Now as to what I think, I am guessing she has her eye on the catamaran, but ask her. As a sailing instructor, specializing in catamarans, I think you can skip the intermediate boat and get the cat. I would take the advice to sail as much as possible for the next couple of years, hopefully on a variety of boats, and listen carefully to what your crewmates, who may have more experience, have to say. I would race, not so much to win, but because it will teach you to do things more efficiently and more correctly, and that would be the goal. Finally, after a year or two, I would spend another week with that instructor you will have originally learned with, to learn some new things for which you were not remotely ready, at the start. Then, buy your first and last boat, spend the remaining time pre-retirement on getting it ready and gaining more experience, set a "start cruising date, come hell or high water" and go for it on THAT date and no later. And, all the best of luck. Clearly, your other skills imply a good ability to learn, discover, innovate, whatever. You can do this and have a great time.

But DO NOT FORGET the first point.....keep the girlfriend!!!Listen to her, even when you might not be inclined to.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote