Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2021, 13:59   #1

Tacking to starboard side difficult

We can sail upwind on a port tack beautifully. To tack the other direction, we must pull in the jib completely to get the bow around and then we slow way down and can only sail across the wind with the boat wanting to turn downwind. When we turn a bit downwind and get some speed, we can tack to a port side and sail close to the wind with some speed, jib full out if necessary. Why only one side? Could it be our daggerboard is off? What about the linkage on the wheel to rudders? This is a MacGregor 26M, 2006.
Joan Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 21:45   #2

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30
Re: Tacking to starboard side difficult

Could you tell us what your level of sailing experience is?
You should know that when you tack from port to starbord, the starbord jib sheet (which was tight) has to be completely let go as you tack. When you get through the eye of the wind and on the starbord tack, the port jib sheet needs to be pulled in. Respectfully, this is really basic stuff, but it sort of sounds like you aren’t doing it. If you are on the port tack, the jib is on the starbord side of the boat; starbord tack, the jib is on the port side of the boat.
If something was wrong with your wheel, rudder, or daggerboard, you wouldn’t be able to sail well on the port tack.
You say “rudders”, does this small boat have 2 rudders?
nuku34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 22:47   #3

We are not real experienced sailors. Had a 16 ft day sailor before this 26 ft boat was obtained a few years ago. We didn't seem have this problem when first puchased. We use the same maneuver tacking each direction. Are you saying it is different to tack from one side versus the other? Yes, we have two rudders.

When I say pull in the jib to tack to a starboard side tack, I mean we completely furl in the jib and use main sail only.
Old 21-05-2021, 22:56   #4

I edited my post to say that we have to furl the jib in completely to get the bow around. I may not have been clear on that. (I didn't see the edit go through)
Old 22-05-2021, 03:24   #5

Boat: Sabre 402

The mainsail isn't getting hung up on one side or the other, is it? If it's not swinging properly, or is offset to one side, that might make it difficult to tack in one direction.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 11:09   #6

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

One suggestion: until you figure this out start up the left side of the course so you will have plenty of time to consider your tack to starboard.
Also, if you have a masthead Windex check that your apparent wind is about the same on both tacks when you are close hauled. If there is a significant difference your mast may not be rigged properly.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 12:47   #7

We have a rotating mast and for awhile it wasn't rotating, but we took care of that and it didn't change anything. Maybe we aren't rigged properly. We will try to check that out. Thanks!
Old 22-05-2021, 15:19   #8

Boat: Catalina 34 / Cheoy Lee Offshore

Gonna take a long shot here.
Does this boat have an outboard motor ? and if so (no disrespect intended here) has it been raised up w prop out of the water before you start sailing ?
If left down I can imagine multiple difficulties. Pappy
PappysSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 15:25   #9

Boat: Catalina 34 / Cheoy Lee Offshore

Also, just thought of this: Does this vessel use water ballast while under sail ?
If so, has that compartment been flooded to the properly ? Does your boat normally sit completely level either way ?
PappysSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 15:44   #10

Boat: 1987 Pearson 39-2

Go @PappysSailing! Both very good ideas.
SeaStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 15:58   #11

By "not properly rigged" I meant - Is the mast straight on both tacks? With the rotating mast you may not have spreaders to help straighten the mast. The lateral curve of the mast may be different on the two tacks. What should not happen is different shapes on each tack. By that I mean not falling off to leeward on one tack and either straight or bowed to windward on the other. I that case I would check the partners (shims at deck level) to make sure they are holding the mast snugly and squarely (equal distance from masthead to either rail) at the dock.
Old 22-05-2021, 16:45   #12

It has an outboard motor that we raise while under sail. It has water ballast and it is full. We did buy a tensiometer to see if the stays were all under the same tension, and they seem to be equal. I amnot sure how to measure the mast bending on each tack.
Old 22-05-2021, 16:48   #13

The boat does have spreaders on the main.
Old 22-05-2021, 18:06   #14

Its easy to see mast bend. On each tack, when the boat is up to speed, sight up the length of the mast. Any bend should be visible.
The spreaders should reduce mast bend. Make sure they are at the specified angle or in line.
Old 22-05-2021, 19:50   #15

When we bought the boat, the spreaders seemed to be bent so we purchased new spreaders. We will look at mast bend next time out.