Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2020, 06:54   #31

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Critique my 5-year plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
... It has been said here before by others, 5 year plan? I nearly spilled my beer. You have no idea what your health will be like in 5 years. No idea what the global political side will be, etc.

I got $10 here that sez this 5 year plan will never materialize. I've seen and read a lot of these threads. It's a fun thing to do to discuss one's dream, but the reality is that real world experience is the only way to accomplish it.
I just have to say MicHughV, that I had an 11 year plan.

Yes, 11 years. It was drawn on one sheet of a yellow legal pad. It had my goals and objectives at the top. It covered my financial requirements (which would allow me to quit working and go sailing) the professional milestones which would enable the financial ones, the boat purchase (date and type, I knew what I wanted), the work, in general, to make it ready for cruising, and finally, paying off the boat, burning the boat's mortgage and the departure date. Judy, (un-named at that time) was in that plan too. I knew I wanted a partner for this dream.

I started in on following that plan shortly after drawing it up in 1985. I lost track of it for a while, then ran across it again, and miraculously I was on schedule. I found Judy (or she found me, and a sailor at that), we had moved aboard Wings, and we were nearing the final deadline, that of casting off and sailing away.

Maybe it was because I was a professional planner, or maybe because I knew what I wanted and had my goals firmly in mind, but I'm proof that plans can work and they are helpful to focus your mind.

We hit our objective and we're still enjoying the fruits of that planning and work.

Photo, July 29, 1996 (Bill Baum)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leaving-Wings departs.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	224629  
Old 04-10-2020, 06:58   #32

Boat: Discovery 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I just have to say MicHughV, that I had an 11 year plan.

Yes, 11 years. It was drawn on one sheet of a yellow legal pad. It had my goals and objectives at the top. It covered my financial requirements (which would allow me to quit working and go sailing) the professional milestones which would enable the financial ones, the boat purchase (date and type, I knew what I wanted), the work, in general, to make it ready for cruising, and finally, paying off the boat, burning the boat's mortgage and the departure date. Judy, (un-named at that time) was in that plan too. I knew I wanted a partner for this dream.

I started in on following that plan shortly after drawing it up in 1985. I lost track of it for a while, then ran across it again, and miraculously I was on schedule. I found Judy (or she found me, and a sailor at that), we had moved aboard Wings, and we were nearing the final deadline, that of casting off and sailing away.

Maybe it was because I was a professional planner, or maybe because I knew what I wanted and had my goals firmly in mind, but I'm proof that plans can work and they are helpful to focus your mind.

We hit our objective and we're still enjoying the fruits of that planning and work.

Photo, July 29, 1996 (Bill Baum)

How unbelievably boring - if true
Hartings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:19   #33

I agree with the others on here. You are already 55, in 5 years the gf who’s 30 years younger will have moved on, your health may change and you’ll definitely have a different idea about what your dream life looks like. Seriously what 45 year old woman want to be changing diapers of their “partner”.

If you truly have no constraints tying you down now you need to go or you’ll never do it. I would also plan on it being mostly a solo sailing event. With your budget I’d recommend an nice Used well sorted out monohull 40 feet or so in length with a bow thruster. 10-15 years old freshly refit for blue water with a water maker and a healthy budget to enjoy the places you’ll visit.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:25   #34

Boat: Moody 44’ ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartings View Post

How unbelievably rude. If human
Malabarista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:18   #35

Quote:
Well, Hartings, its true (most of it. it was actually a 12 year plan but we completed it in 11 years, and it took two pages, see below). If you doubt me probably you are projecting, it's not my style to exaggerate or tell untruths.

As for boring, maybe to you. We spent 10 years living on board in Seattle, working in the city, racing once or twice a week, and cruising the Pacific North West. None of that time was boring. Then we left and for more than 20 years cruised the world, 35 countries, a circumnavigation. Along the way we had adventures, the memories of which thrill us every day. We met many people of many cultures, and saw sights so rare. We also still raced and by now have raced over 450 times. All of it is what we love and there hasn't been a boring day.

If you want more boring, go to the blog. I'm sure it will bore the hell out of you.

Here is the actual, original, plan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plan p1.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	477.7 KB
ID:	224638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plan p2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	457.3 KB
ID:	224639  

Old 04-10-2020, 08:35   #36

Boat: Discovery 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Well, Hartings, its true (most of it. it was actually a 12 year plan but we completed it in 11 years, and it took two pages, see below). If you doubt me probably you are projecting, it's not my style to exaggerate or tell untruths.

As for boring, maybe to you. We spent 10 years living on board in Seattle, working in the city, racing once or twice a week, and cruising the Pacific North West. None of that time was boring. Then we left and for more than 20 years cruised the world, 35 countries, a circumnavigation. Along the way we had adventures, the memories of which thrill us every day. We met many people of many cultures, and saw sights so rare. We also still raced and by now have raced over 450 times. All of it is what we love and there hasn't been a boring day.

If you want more boring, go to the blog. I'm sure it will bore the hell out of you.

Here is the actual, original, plan.

Genuine hat tip to you- fantastic achievement. An 11-year plan which involved buying a boat in year-1 and extensive sailing thereafter isn’t maybe quite what you indicated in your original post.
Hartings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:43   #37

Quote:
Genuine hat tip to you- fantastic achievement. An 11-year plan which involved buying a boat in year-1 and extensive sailing thereafter isn’t maybe quite what you indicated in your original post.
One thing different about what we did as opposed to what I recommended to the OP: We were already very experienced sailors (on other people's boats) and we knew what we wanted.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:17   #38

Boat: Rafiki 37

As I mentioned, we had a 5-year plan that evolved into a 10-year plan. It involved notes, and sticky priorities planning, and spreadsheets, and official weekly meetings where minutes were taken.

Through it all we had a cruising level boat that allowed us to hone our cruising skills, and to really learn what we both needed and wanted in this new life. This is why I'm a supporter of the starter boat. Some people have the clarity and ability to know what they need right from the start, but most of us learn by doing.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:26   #39

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Critique my 5-year plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
Thanks

I fly an RV-8 fwiw. Wrt to your example, I'm often asked that question. My response is usually "buy a 10k piper chief or some cheap tail dragger and learn to fly in that, because you'll learn to FLY not to manage systems. Then, if you like it, sell and get the bo/310 or whatever.

I guess my cheap piper is your $15k boat example, not the $75k for an Oceanis 36 or whatever. I do get your point.

It seems most on the thread are panning my idea of an interim short-term boat and recommending more chartering and getting the final boat maybe a year or two earlier. I'm now swinging around to that idea. We'd get to see some different places and an opportunity to try some different boats.

I’m not panning it, just the opposite. Go get a laser right now and go sailing every other weekend for three or four hours. In 6-12 months, sell that and get a bigger boat.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:58   #40

Boat: X442

I had a plan which I called 'Plan 50', drawn up in 2010, when I was... 40. So my 10 year plan was based mainly around the school leaving age of our kids (and hence a reduction in their 100% 'parental dependency'), and included a couple of financial items: 2 study funds for the kids (enough to finance some studying in Europe, not in the US...), pension fund at a desired level and some spare cash in the bank. And... a massive loan on the boat paid off: I will only own one sailing yacht in my life and having sailed extensively on others' boats, the choice of which boat was not so difficult for me, albeit an expensive one (for me anyway). So in 2010 I spent a weekend googling for any organization anywhere willing to lend me the cash. Happily a French bank was willing, hence the large loan needing paying off. (I am very much in the camp of getting the final boat straight away, if not, sail on others'.)

The financial goals of the original plan have been largely achieved. I updated progress every month over the years eventually attaching quite a bit of importance to those goals, even though it only took a few moments to define them. (You see, I am not in the most exciting of professions so something to aim for was helpful )

But I was always aware of a small but key caveat: the youngest doesn't finish school until 2023 so I never figured out how the 'Depart' would truly materialize given this fact. So it was really a 10 year + 3 plan, now giving my wife and me time to visualise what's next. Reality is that she will probably not be a round the world cruiser and I am not even sure if I would do it full time either. But we're tentatively aiming for a long stretch (8 months) in the Med and then see where we stand. Perhaps we continue, perhaps we stop, or perhaps we live on the boat 50/50. Time will tell.

In the meantime I have had my X for 10 years and it has been without a doubt the most extraordinary experience of my life.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:11   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It seems most on the thread are panning my idea of an interim short-term boat and recommending more chartering and getting the final boat maybe a year or two earlier. I'm now swinging around to that idea. ..............................

That is NOT the way to make YOUR decision.

You may not have gotten the memo that says, "Chartering a boat will not teach you how to operate one that you OWN and are responsible for maintaining."

I believe that until you own a boat that has the systems your final boat will have, you'll be sorely short of being in a position of know what you need and then want in a final boat.

And in addition to systems, you will learn about the good, bad and ugly of particular equipment. There are some POSs out there that keep getting put on boats, and until you start learning about them, you won't know what you're getting.

Finally, everyone has different likes & dislikes (kinda like the recent thread about mattresses!). Until you've got some of YOUR OWN experience, then all ya got is what other people say.

You're right about your flying experience.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:32   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

In my day, there was no internet, no cruising forum, no cell service, no satnav, no radar, no solar panels, few boats to pick from, not much of anything......especially money, there was very little of that.....you got a boat you could afford..plain and simple...$100K was so far out of reach, as to be untouchable. Oh yeah, no generator, no freezer, no HF radio....no rubber dink....no 15 hp outboard...no liferaft.....you packed the icebox with ice and you could drink a cold beer for a week...that's where my perspective comes from. When you got to where you were headed, you sent a postcard home to mom and she might get it 6 weeks later. No credit cards either....traveller checks or cash was the name of the game.

I gotta tell you, I had a blast.

Surprisingly, there were a lot like me out there. I never met them at marina's, because that is where the " rich" people went, so that automatically disqualified a large contingent of us, but we all knew how to fish and dive and collect rain water and could make a dollar last a long time.

Interestingly, foreign port officials were friendly, helpful and accommodating.

I present this glimpse into my past, because it takes very little to accomplish a venture like this.
Ok, I was in my 20's.....I had youthful ignorance on my side....I was fearless and going to live forever.

Discussing your dreams, hopes and asperations with others tends to muddy the vision. You get their version, their perspective, their experience, etc.

Today, folk get too wrapped up in " planning", etc...but you can't plan the weather, you either stay home or you deal with it. You won't know if a trip will take 10 days or 20 days. You can get becalmed just as easy as having to contend with a storm. You can sink out there.

I'm telling you, the OP, if you overthink this, you won't go. If you seriously want to do this, move away from the computer, get in the car and go find yourself a boat and then go....the details will take care of themselves. You've got to be 20 again. Take a few risks, throw the dice, live the dream, but go NOW !!!.....today...no 5 year plan..TODAY!!

The right boat, the right people, will come into your life, when you take the first step away from the computer.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:11   #43

Boat: Seaward 22

I am on a similar timeline as the OP. It's been my goal for about 20 years. I've saved the cash for the boat, upgrades and cruising kitty. I keep sailing my 22 foot boat and resisting the urge to buy a bigger boat, as I see it as waisted money. I plan to have the final boat for 2 years before dropping the lines. That will give me time to learn the boat and make thoughtful upgrades.

One of my guiding principles is to buy a boat well within budget (plenty out there) and not worry about money from there on out. This is what I saved for and I am going to spend it.

A few more life financial and family goals to go before I pull the trigger.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:56   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
I am on a similar timeline as the OP. It's been my goal for about 20 years. I've saved the cash for the boat, upgrades and cruising kitty. I keep sailing my 22 foot boat and resisting the urge to buy a bigger boat, as I see it as waisted money. I plan to have the final boat for 2 years before dropping the lines. That will give me time to learn the boat and make thoughtful upgrades.

I understand your thought process. In conjunction with my earlier post, I can share the FACT that we had both a C22 & a C25 (for 5 + 13 years) and until we bought our C34, with boat systems, like electrical, mechanical, plumbing & diesel, we sure knew how to sail but didn't know squat about boat SYSTEMS.

Single battery boats w/outboards don't teach you anything about boat electrical systems.

And I'm an engineer.

Two years might be enough for some folks to learn them.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 13:10   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
I agree with the others on here. You are already 55, in 5 years the gf who’s 30 years younger will have moved on, your health may change and you’ll definitely have a different idea about what your dream life looks like. Seriously what 45 year old woman want to be changing diapers of their “partner”.

If you truly have no constraints tying you down now you need to go or you’ll never do it. I would also plan on it being mostly a solo sailing event. With your budget I’d recommend an nice Used well sorted out monohull 40 feet or so in length with a bow thruster. 10-15 years old freshly refit for blue water with a water maker and a healthy budget to enjoy the places you’ll visit.

Agree, he just needs to do it, quit procrastinating, it’s not planning, it’s kicking the can further down the street, frankly you should be able to do all the planning one realistically can do in a month.

Per the girl, lol wow
You need to get out more, between government “public” schools and the lack of a real father figure becoming more and more prevalent generation after generation, with more and more people living life from a office, or worse a home office, most “men” who are that girls age are as useless as a pork pie in a synagogue, have dreams that range from zero to boring, and 40 years ago wouldn’t even qualify as a Man.

So do you want to risk having to change your partners diaper when you’re beyond your dating prime anyways at say 50, or live your prime with a “man” who needs stuff like “safe spaces”?
SalingSue is offline   Reply With Quote