Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2021, 04:40   #1216

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post
If Atticus is truly pulling in anything within shouting distance of $300k/year, then their level of shamelessness in begging for funds for a new boat is stunning. Guess P.T. Barnum was right.

Agreed. I was interested in their channel as a fellow small boat sailor. But the Kickstarter for a new boat has soured me.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:53   #1217

From Atticus' kickstarter page ($80k) explaining their biggest risks and challenges. Compared to where they started a few years ago....How to keep the cash register churning is now their biggest challenge. Certainly sounds like "rich folk problems" to my eyes.

-----------------

Risks and challenges

One of our biggest challenges will be finding a boat quickly enough to get back to making sailing content as soon as possible. We've given ourselves a very rigorous schedule to look at as many potential boats as possible while also releasing weekly boat review videos. We are lucky enough to have Bernie Jakits, of David Walters Yachts, helping us Pro Bono to find the perfect boat for the next chapter of Project Atticus. It is going to be a very demanding sprint to find Atticus II but we’re up for the challenge!
Old 03-01-2021, 05:12   #1218

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
From Atticus' kickstarter page ($80k) explaining their biggest risks and challenges. Compared to where they started a few years ago....How to keep the cash register churning is now their biggest challenge. Certainly sounds like "rich folk problems" to my eyes.

-----------------

Risks and challenges

One of our biggest challenges will be finding a boat quickly enough to get back to making sailing content as soon as possible. We've given ourselves a very rigorous schedule to look at as many potential boats as possible while also releasing weekly boat review videos. We are lucky enough to have Bernie Jakits, of David Walters Yachts, helping us Pro Bono to find the perfect boat for the next chapter of Project Atticus. It is going to be a very demanding sprint to find Atticus II but we’re up for the challenge!

Boat review videos get the most clicks. And I'm sure David Walters understand a hundred thousand views more than covers whatever fees they waved. It's going to be hilarious if all the boat reviews happen to be of David Walter boats.......pro bono....right.

Good for them but the cringe factor is high.
Old 03-01-2021, 17:57   #1219

Boat: 1987 Elan 31

I think I went through most at-least-somewhat-popular sailing & boat-related channels, and these are the ones I kept being subscribed to (in no particular order):
  • Sailing followtheboat: A couple with lots of high quality videos on a range of boat and travel-related stuff. What I like most are the boat repair/refit/issue videos, as well as their various guide/faq-like ones. Sadly they appear to be considering taking a break from Youtube currently.
  • Sail Life: A guy working on his boat for many years now. It's now officially afloat and he's planning to set sail in about 6 months. One of my favourites, each video is very informative and full of helpful tips and tricks about various boat-related work. I never knew DIY videos could be this interesting.
  • How to Sail Oceans: A guy sails around solo without an engine. Lots of interesting information-rich videos, e.g. expect stuff like an hour about celestial navigation, or a video about how he uses a sculling oar to maneuver his boat into the slip.
  • Adventures of an old Seadog: A guy buys a boat and sails it solo over half-way around the world (and is still at it). Felt realer that most other channels and gave me (I think) a good dose of what cruising solo might look like, both the good parts and the bad. If you're looking for a vlog-like channel I feel like this is the best one. (He should cut down on beer though, that stuff will kill ya. )
  • Sailing Emerald Steel: A couple with tons of videos on a range of boat-related topics. Has an old-school hardcore vibe to it and contains a ton of useful stuff. If that's not enough to hook you: you might feel an instant connection to these two if you're an introvert, a libertarian, or Slavic.
  • DrakeParagon: Much has been said about this crew in this thread already. Definitely worth a watch. They're currently sailing through Greenland and have hit more than one snag on the way.
  • Rigging Doctor: A young couple with many guide-like videos, as well as vlog-ones that detail their sail through the Mediterranean. Check them out to see how to splice rope, or what running aground looks like.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:00   #1220

Boat: Sabre 34II

Kudos to those who are able to maintain high-quality content and thus members because I think it is very challenging to do that as a sailing family. Not only you have to keep your viewers entertained week after week but also maintain a depreciating asset. I have noticed many sailing vloggers change plans to keep viewers hooked onto their channels, there is only so much interest you can garner by randomly sailing around in <50 ft of space. Some of the eye-catching video titles are to attract viewership however once you watch the video it turns out to be not so big a deal (from a sailor's viewpoint). They can go from place to place and repair numerous things on their boats but it becomes monotonous after a while. While the top sailing channels have hundreds of thousands of views and thousands of subscribers it is nothing when compared to DIY home videos, popular music channels, food and drinks recipes, arts and crafts, auto repair, etc. which have millions of views - so I do respect what these channels are doing and wish them best of luck as I learn a thing or two from them every now and then. They are selling dreams IMO and I am not sure if they will be around forever, I just feel there is a finite term to these channels; 5, 7, 10 years - who knows..?
Old 04-01-2021, 18:32   #1221

Youtube liveaboard stars?

lavaga is selling the outremer to fund the loan for a new boat. Looks like a few channels are going to be doing the catamaran building process this year.

Riley have been hinting it will be a custom.

Distance shores doing a custom aluminium mono.
Old 05-01-2021, 13:36   #1222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
lavaga is selling the outremer to fund the loan for a new boat.
Riley have been hinting it will be a custom.
Sure, why not? After all, a rich UTer can do sooooooo MUCH better than a measly little ole 45 Outremer catamaran. I mean with all those subscribers throwing money all about to anybody that wants a new and improved yacht and all.

Hope the new CUSTOM lives up to La Vagabond's expectations.
Old 05-01-2021, 18:47   #1223
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Sure, why not? After all, a rich UTer can do sooooooo MUCH better than a measly little ole 45 Outremer catamaran. I mean with all those subscribers throwing money all about to anybody that wants a new and improved yacht and all.

Hope the new CUSTOM lives up to La Vagabond's expectations.

I believe this new custom for La Vagabonde has been mainly designed by Riley as his dream boat. He appears to be highly intelligent and very motivated, kudos to them and their dreams.
Old 05-01-2021, 20:00   #1224
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I believe this new custom for La Vagabonde has been mainly designed by Riley as his dream boat. He appears to be highly intelligent and very motivated, kudos to them and their dreams.
Compared to those who fund his dreams rather than their own.
He is intelligent!
Old 05-01-2021, 20:03   #1225

Quote:
So now Riley is a naval architect! Wow...I'm impressed.

I'm guessing he's at least designed a spot for a new washing machine
in the new CUSTOM. No more trips to the laundromat for them....no way can the entitled rich and famous be seen folding underwear amongst the unwashed masses.
Old 05-01-2021, 21:03   #1226

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

All jokes aside I have made the comment in the past that the fact that they don't have a washing machine is totally nuts in my opinion, especially once their little boy came along.

Doing laundry is both expensive as well as inconvenient in many cruising locations. A washing machine would pay for itself on a well setup boat.

So it appears that Elayna is finally getting tired of not having one.

On that boat, or the next (even better) one, with a watermaker, solar, etc, it should be a no brainer to set up even if Riley want's to stick to not having a genset.

I always kind of said that their lack of experience (yes, despite how many miles they have now done) resulted in them not setting up the boat very well and mostly just accepting a stock boat from the factory - and as we know, most stock boats, even supposedly bluewater cruising boats, are just not that well set up from the factory.

My 2 cents...
Old 06-01-2021, 01:00   #1227

Quote:

in the new CUSTOM. No more trips to the laundromat for them....no way can the entitled rich and famous be seen folding underwear amongst the unwashed masses.
I'm 99% sure he will engage a naval architect and 'co-design' it. The Architect will take care of the technicals with riley being the 'spiritual inspiration'.

Maybe a yard will want to produce it in series and all of a sudden Lavagabond is a new Catamaran brand.

I'm sure they can make that work if the design is good. They are more well funded than a lot of startup yards im sure. This way they end up with a free boat and possible income stream for the future,
Old 06-01-2021, 04:06   #1228
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:

Never knew they were entitled....maybe a little jealousy here?
Old 06-01-2021, 04:37   #1229

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
On that boat, or the next (even better) one, with a watermaker, solar, etc, it should be a no brainer to set up even if Riley want's to stick to not having a genset.

I always kind of said that their lack of experience (yes, despite how many miles they have now done) resulted in them not setting up the boat very well and mostly just accepting a stock boat from the factory - and as we know, most stock boats, even supposedly bluewater cruising boats, are just not that well set up from the factory.

My 2 cents...
Maybe I misunderstand you, but they do have both solar and water maker. The issue with the O45 is that it can't carry that much extra weight, so that is probably the reason for not getting all bells and whistles more than inexperience.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:07   #1230

Quote:
Never knew they were entitled....maybe a little jealousy here?
Nah....amused and more than a little amazed at the success of the Youtube HUSTLE.

Amused that the success is mostly based on the power of the BIKINI....the common denominator of the most successful Youtube channels.

Hey, good for them...seriously. Whatever works.....

"Hey Babe, clicks are down....you want that washer and bigger boat?....throw on the BIKINI, maybe sing some songs and do some bikini yoga. Oh and call Greta, yea.....another COUP like that should add a few more feet to our new CUSTOM!!"

Tags
liveaboard