Cruisers Forum
 


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2020, 15:03   #1186
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 15
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Freegeek - good point of clarification that the subscriber can put a stop-limit on the number of videos , but they still charge on per-video basis which is exactly what I said - no factual inaccuracies. The way the stop-limit works is the patron can limit the number of videos they will support in a month, but that may not be the same as an actual dollar amount.

For Example: La Vag has a minimum patron amount of $3/video. You can say I want to only be billed no more than 3x ($9) or 4x ($12), but you can't say $10. Point being is you are billed on a per-episode amount, not a fixed fee. There is no way to make a fixed donation and call it good, which is what I wanted to do with Panope so I sent him a PayPal donation, which is way out of character for me but I find his information compelling, relevant, and a good proxy to a Practical Sailor subscription. It has helped me make an informed decision about anchor selection.

You offered a good clarification in reminding people there is a limit a person can set. But you were a bit harsh in stating I was "factually incorrect." If anything.....

Best regards -

Peter
You were making a calculation that they were making a million / year of patreon. I said that this is factual incorrect because it is. I just gave an example of how Patreon works with the monthly subscription, apparently la vagabond works with the per video thing, my point still stands because the vast majority also set a limit there, nothing harsh, just correcting the misinformation that is spread.
freegeek is offline  
Old 30-12-2020, 16:32   #1187
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Ensenada
Boat: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Posts: 1,347
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

I see. You're a right fighter. Okay. You win. I lose.

Moving on.
mvweebles is offline  
Old 30-12-2020, 17:11   #1188
Registered User
 
Narfi's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Bush Alaska
Boat: Bateau FS17
Posts: 69
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
MJ- NEW catamaran build
I am interested in watching this progress more than any other right now, my goal is to start building a kit in the next couple of years and so I have followed most of their decision making process etc... in what they wanted in a kit. I came to different conclusions for what is right for me but he has also shown to be present on the forum here and willing to offer advice when asked.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Wynns- NEW St Francis 45
I tried googling this but didn't come up with any information, are you sure? Last video I think I saw they were happily repairing and preparing their boat from a year of storage to be able to launch again?
Narfi is offline  
Old 30-12-2020, 18:16   #1189
Registered User
 
Macblaze's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Edmonton/PNW
Boat: Hunter 386
Posts: 1,333
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfi View Post
I tried googling this but didn't come up with any information, are you sure? Last video I think I saw they were happily repairing and preparing their boat from a year of storage to be able to launch again?
I am putting this one down as unfounded internet rumour. One guys says he heard it from a sales guy... But stranger things have happened...
__________________
---
Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
Macblaze is offline  
Old 30-12-2020, 21:31   #1190
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Beijing
Posts: 794
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
I am putting this one down as unfounded internet rumour. One guys says he heard it from a sales guy... But stranger things have happened...
Yeh, I agree. They would have needed to sell the boat to fund the new one. It seems a new SF 45 would not be that much different to their leopard 42.

The YouTube angle would be like 'hey guys, we got a boat that cost 3x the money for an extra 3 feet.......' The optics are not good on that one.

Ruby rose and la vaga atleast went from a smallish mono to a multi so the justification is there. Tula's last multi was pretty spartan so the new 1160 is a big upgrade(still wondering what their angle is,, except wanting a shiny new boat). Wynns already have a pretty nice boat for what they are doing.




But who knows.
Yihang is offline  
Old 31-12-2020, 04:59   #1191
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Penobscot Bay, Maine
Boat: Tayana 47
Posts: 1,582
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freegeek View Post
You were making a calculation that they were making a million / year of patreon. I said that this is factual incorrect because it is. I just gave an example of how Patreon works with the monthly subscription, apparently la vagabond works with the per video thing, my point still stands because the vast majority also set a limit there, nothing harsh, just correcting the misinformation that is spread.


While one part of his attempt at doing math in public may have been a bit off due to the limits you point out, his overall point remains valid, these you tubers are making a TON of money. Now perhaps we should debate whether itís a metric ton or an imperial ton?
jtsailjt is offline  
Old 31-12-2020, 05:40   #1192
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 15
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
While one part of his attempt at doing math in public may have been a bit off due to the limits you point out, his overall point remains valid, these you tubers are making a TON of money. Now perhaps we should debate whether itís a metric ton or an imperial ton?
I never said otherwise, the top "sailing" channels are making a killing. I would not be surprised that La Vagabonde is indeed a 7 figures business by now but we are talking about the exceptions here. There are probably hundreds of "sailing" YT channels by now, a few make it really big, some can make a (modest) living of it, majority however spend editing 40+ hours a week in their mahogany cave down below for beer money.
freegeek is offline  
Old 31-12-2020, 06:41   #1193
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Ensenada
Boat: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Posts: 1,347
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freegeek View Post
I never said otherwise, the top "sailing" channels are making a killing. I would not be surprised that La Vagabonde is indeed a 7 figures business by now but we are talking about the exceptions here. There are probably hundreds of "sailing" YT channels by now, a few make it really big, some can make a (modest) living of it, majority however spend editing 40+ hours a week in their mahogany cave down below for beer money.
Freegeek - a little defensive I think.....say, do you have a YT channel and a mahogany interior?
mvweebles is offline  
Old 31-12-2020, 06:55   #1194
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Redlands, Ca.
Boat: Columbia 45 CC
Posts: 49
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Freegeek - a little defensive I think.....say, do you have a YT channel and a mahogany interior?
Sounds more like someone that likes to argue for the sake of arguing and must always have the last word.
calmissile is offline  
Old 31-12-2020, 08:42   #1195
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 15
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmissile View Post
Sounds more like someone that likes to argue for the sake of arguing and must always have the last word.
nope, I just like to counter argue people that are spreading information that is clearly wrong
freegeek is offline  
Old 31-12-2020, 08:43   #1196
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 15
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Freegeek - a little defensive I think.....say, do you have a YT channel and a mahogany interior?
be a man and just admit that you were wrong with your whole patreon calculation
freegeek is offline  
Old 31-12-2020, 08:49   #1197
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 562
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freegeek View Post
be a man and just admit that you were wrong with your whole patreon calculation
How does that somehow have anything to do with one's gender exactly?
NaClyDog is offline  
Old 31-12-2020, 09:38   #1198
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Ensenada
Boat: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Posts: 1,347
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freegeek View Post
be a man and just admit that you were wrong with your whole patreon calculation
So let's catch everyone up. Keep in mind this is a thread on YT stars, not YT also-rans, not YT wash-outs, but YT stars. The top tier.

Someone posts that most of the income comes from Patreon. So I do some quick math - and show my homework - that for La Vag, if they get an average of $5/video from their 3700 patrons, and produce 50-videos per year, it's close to $1-million (it's actually $925,000.00). Their minimum is $3/video, but they also have a $25/video tier - maybe $5 is a bit high, maybe it's low. Maybe 50-videos/year is too high, or maybe too low. Who knows - they are reasonable assumptions.

Up pops Freegeek as defender of the YT also-rans and, with absolutely no facts whatsoever, states that because you can put a limit on your monthly Patreon contribution (which he incorrectly cites, at least for La Vag) that everyone must do so and therefore "close to $1m" is factually wrong, and more or less demand an apology on behalf of the YT-also-rans ('he doth protest too much?') for whom this thread is not about.

So excuse me for being imprecise about my back-of-napkin math to which you offer zero retort except to say "Its factually incorrect." No citation of what is real, nothing. You just don't like it. Cool - you're entitled to your opinion.

But to your statement about "being a man," I'd suggest you don a smile, a sense of humor, and a bit of humility. And consider a Dale Carnegie course.

Peter
mvweebles is offline  
Old 31-12-2020, 10:00   #1199
Registered User
 
Matt Johnson's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Annapolis MD
Boat: Building a Max Cruise 42 cat - previous 37' aluminum mono
Posts: 2,683
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

To give you an idea from our Patreon account.

Video patronage decline pre video after the first a month is:

1st 100%
2nd 84%
3rd 62%
4th 60%

Some channels do require that you maintain the pledge for all videos a month to get their tiered benefits, and I'd assume they do better maintaining this percentage, but I've never discussed this with any of them, so don't know if our numbers are average or not.

Matt
__________________
MJSailing - Youtube Vlog -
Matt Johnson is online now  
Old 31-12-2020, 10:07   #1200
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Beijing
Posts: 794
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
So let's catch everyone up. Keep in mind this is a thread on YT stars, not YT also-rans, not YT wash-outs, but YT stars. The top tier.

Someone posts that most of the income comes from Patreon. So I do some quick math - and show my homework - that for La Vag, if they get an average of $5/video from their 3700 patrons, and produce 50-videos per year, it's close to $1-million (it's actually $925,000.00). Their minimum is $3/video, but they also have a $25/video tier - maybe $5 is a bit high, maybe it's low. Maybe 50-videos/year is too high, or maybe too low. Who knows - they are reasonable assumptions.

Up pops Freegeek as defender of the YT also-rans and, with absolutely no facts whatsoever, states that because you can put a limit on your monthly Patreon contribution (which he incorrectly cites, at least for La Vag) that everyone must do so and therefore "close to $1m" is factually wrong, and more or less demand an apology on behalf of the YT-also-rans ('he doth protest too much?') for whom this thread is not about.

So excuse me for being imprecise about my back-of-napkin math to which you offer zero retort except to say "Its factually incorrect." No citation of what is real, nothing. You just don't like it. Cool - you're entitled to your opinion.

But to your statement about "being a man," I'd suggest you don a smile, a sense of humor, and a bit of humility. And consider a Dale Carnegie course.

Peter


well if they are paying australian taxes thats 45% over 180k. Ouch. I guess they can expense a lot. Maybe setup a trust with the extended family. Actually if they do their taxes like most other rich aussies maybe not pay any tax at all. Nvm.
Yihang is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do the stars under my username mean? BadFish Forum Tech Support & Site Help 30 27-05-2020 16:38
How to post a Youtube Video (with Viewer) using Youtube APP Steadman Uhlich Forum Tech Support & Site Help 4 12-08-2019 15:17
Shooting Stars Jack Long General Sailing Forum 26 19-08-2008 13:18
Where are the stars. Islandmike General Sailing Forum 18 11-04-2006 12:00
Now you get stars for posting!!! Gisle Forum News & Announcements 6 12-05-2003 00:18

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:47.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.