Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2021, 06:28   #1231

Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Never knew they were entitled....maybe a little jealousy here?
The BEST is Erik Aanderaa. https://youtube.com/c/ErikAanderaa

I agree on the jealousy, I have watched La Vag only a few times, but you have to respect Riley. He is running a small business, and he has consistently been the best in the world at it vs his peers. He and Elayna are winning by a wide margin. Good for them. They make good videos and sell them to subscribers, so what’s different about that than any other TV show? And he married up. I don’t get the hate.

Atticus is the worst. They have really upped the grift factor. Anybody doing a Kickstarter or straight up begging, and I am out. Why would ANYBODY donate money to this charity, to buy them a boat?? Also the guy on that channel has gotten whiny. Boo effing hoo, you’re sailing in the tropics and don’t have to go to work.

Delos too. Everywhere they go now they have fans giving them free food, free dock, free condo or cottage to stay in. Weird. Producing and selling lifestyle videos and related products is fine but yachters living off straight up charity is unethical when real people need help.

The others I hate are where they are overtly pimping out some basically naked girl. There is a fine line though. Pretty girls on boats, who doesn’t like that, and the thumbnails get the views, but there is definitely a line where it is gross.
Old 06-01-2021, 07:12   #1232

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Never was much of a TV watcher. I do have a couple of friends who think this stuff is supper cool and the best stuff going. They also believe it is reality and I don't. A lot of it is just filler and nothing else.

After watching Uma for a while it all become very boring. Same with all of them. I am simply not interested in watching someone else's life from the end of a selfie stick.

I guess good on them for trying but quite frankly i have my own boat projects and issues.

Next month we are dropping the keel to re-bed it and replace the bolts. That will be way more interesting than watching someone else's life go by.
Old 06-01-2021, 07:42   #1233

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
...Next month we are dropping the keel to re-bed it and replace the bolts. That will be way more interesting than watching someone else's life go by.
Hey, thats an idea! I haven't seen that kind of work before, why don't you record the project and share it with us on YT?
Old 06-01-2021, 07:57   #1234

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Hey, thats an idea! I haven't seen that kind of work before, why don't you record the project and share it with us on YT?
I will think about it. Somethings are interesting and educational. This would actually be one of those things.

It will actually involve:
  • cutting out a large section of floor to get to the top of a large water tank which had been converted to a holding tank ( yuk.. lots of bleach here. )
  • removing the top and cutting out the tank bottom to expose some hidden keel bolts.
  • Remove the engine
  • Have the marina remove the currently installed mast while the boat is on the hard
  • Remove the bolts and replace them with threaded rod
  • Lift the boat with the travel lift so we can clean up the matting surfaces
  • Lower the boat down and tighten the keel bolts
  • Reinstall engine
  • Fix tanks
  • Fix Floor

It will not involve a selfie stick.

I think that is about a weeks work.

Unfortunately it has to be done. Seal is gone on the keel hull joint and its clearly time to replace some of the bolts.

If we had videoed very thing we did to this boat we would still be doing it.
Old 06-01-2021, 09:18   #1235

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

I know I watched more of them when I was saving up the money to buy my first boat. An escapism from the dull days of budgeting.

Now I don't as I see escapism in fiction books from the long list of boat projects in my down time. lol.
Old 06-01-2021, 13:37   #1236

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed91e View Post
Maybe I misunderstand you, but they do have both solar and water maker. The issue with the O45 is that it can't carry that much extra weight, so that is probably the reason for not getting all bells and whistles more than inexperience.
Yes you misunderstood me. I meant, they have a watermaker and solar so they are more than halfway there already as far as as a washing machine goes.

I understand the weight issue, I'm an ex racing sailor. But for a full time live aboard cruising boat (ie: your only permanent home) not having a washing machine is not the place to save weight - it's just a huge inconvenience. Because they still have electric winches, etc, the boat is fully fitted out - it's not like it's a stripped out racer.

As an example the small Daewoo wall mounted machine is around 16kg and the Samsung drawer style unit is also quite light. There are multiple threads on the forum here about these models.

And even though Riley didn't want a generator when this boat was ordered there didn't seem to be extra thought about the other items to counter that deciison such as a much larger solar array, lithium batteries (they can actually save weight...), high output alternators on the diesels, etc, etc.

Yes they added the Watt & Sea later, but it also seems like they chose the wrong/cheaper model that they need to adjust for different speeds - which easily and often happens on a performance cat. So that means hanging over the transom once the wind and sea state is up to do the adjustments. Not clever...

So in my opinion they still showed (and still even now show) their lack of experience, although they are much improved and presumably the next boat will have more thought put into it.

It's not just the washing machine, the list can go on. They like to spear fish and are good at it in the right location. But they don't have a very good transom setup for this, or for cleaning fish, and nor do they have a good fridge / freezer setup (mostly not big enough) for storing all the fish and just for extended cruising in general.

In my mind the boat seems poorly setup. This normally comes from either lack of money, or lack of experience. In this case I think it was the latter, they just didn't know what setup they needed, or what could have been better. It wasn't so much about spending more money or adding more weight, but more about making different choices.

They often run out of things too. In a recent video they even ran out of gas on passage and couldn't cook anything... Don't they even have a little portable cooker with the fly spray style cannisters as a backup? Or if not a tiny unused bottle for ultimate backup? Don't they have 2 normal gas bottles, 1 of which is in use and 1 of which is always full?

They make a good and popular channel that can be entertaining for some viewers, they seem to be nice people, and I applaud their success, but they are still very far from being experienced cruisers that one should take advice from about many things... (except maybe how to run a successful YouTube channel ).

They keep making a lot of 'beginners mistakes'.

Old 11-01-2021, 08:01   #1237

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
I know I watched more of them when I was saving up the money to buy my first boat. An escapism from the dull days of budgeting.

Now I don't as I see escapism in fiction books from the long list of boat projects in my down time. lol.
Same thing here. I find myself watching them between cruises, but when we're actually out doing the same thing they are doing, I don't really have the the time, or interest, in watching them.

I'm watching some now, and realizing that we were in the same place, at the same time, as some of these people. But, most of them take much better videos than we did.
Old 12-01-2021, 14:43   #1238

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
They often run out of things too. In a recent video they even ran out of gas on passage and couldn't cook anything... Don't they even have a little portable cooker with the fly spray style cannisters as a backup? Or if not a tiny unused bottle for ultimate backup? Don't they have 2 normal gas bottles, 1 of which is in use and 1 of which is always full?

La Vagabonde confirmed in their latest video that they only carry one gas bottle and no spare or backup of any type at all. So they have absolutely no way to cook or heat anything if they have any type of system problem, or just simply run out of gas.

That might be a concious decision, but I still think it shows inexperience, even after all these years and all these miles at sea
Old 12-01-2021, 15:41   #1239

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
Yes you misunderstood me. I meant, they have a watermaker and solar so they are more than halfway there already as far as as a washing machine goes.

I understand the weight issue, I'm an ex racing sailor. But for a full time live aboard cruising boat (ie: your only permanent home) not having a washing machine is not the place to save weight - it's just a huge inconvenience. Because they still have electric winches, etc, the boat is fully fitted out - it's not like it's a stripped out racer.

As an example the small Daewoo wall mounted machine is around 16kg and the Samsung drawer style unit is also quite light. There are multiple threads on the forum here about these models.

And even though Riley didn't want a generator when this boat was ordered there didn't seem to be extra thought about the other items to counter that deciison such as a much larger solar array, lithium batteries (they can actually save weight...), high output alternators on the diesels, etc, etc.

Yes they added the Watt & Sea later, but it also seems like they chose the wrong/cheaper model that they need to adjust for different speeds - which easily and often happens on a performance cat. So that means hanging over the transom once the wind and sea state is up to do the adjustments. Not clever...

So in my opinion they still showed (and still even now show) their lack of experience, although they are much improved and presumably the next boat will have more thought put into it.

It's not just the washing machine, the list can go on. They like to spear fish and are good at it in the right location. But they don't have a very good transom setup for this, or for cleaning fish, and nor do they have a good fridge / freezer setup (mostly not big enough) for storing all the fish and just for extended cruising in general.

In my mind the boat seems poorly setup. This normally comes from either lack of money, or lack of experience. In this case I think it was the latter, they just didn't know what setup they needed, or what could have been better. It wasn't so much about spending more money or adding more weight, but more about making different choices.

They make a good and popular channel that can be entertaining for some viewers, they seem to be nice people, and I applaud their success, but they are still very far from being experienced cruisers that one should take advice from about many things... (except maybe how to run a successful YouTube channel ).

we have fat lagoon and no washing machine. it is compromise we happy to take.

1. washing machine washes crap. in 1/2 hour with most cancerogenous chemicals you will not do as good as soaking overnite.

2. we have plenty of water so do 3 x rinse after overnite soaking.

3. We do have spinner and has proven excellent.

4. Washing results are great.

5. 1 x 3 weeks, no big deal.

We do have 4 gas bottles though.
Old 12-01-2021, 15:49   #1240

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
We do have 4 gas bottles though.

PS: I don't think La Vagabonde have any clothes washing equipment onboard.

They wash their clothes in the bottom of the shower with their feet...
Old 12-01-2021, 18:35   #1241

I don't understand how one bottle = inexperience or even a mistake.

It speaks more to priorities.

running out....well, yes, that's a mistake.....maybe. Still, if that's the worst mistake a person makes I think they'll be just fine....

My RV has only on LP tank. My popup camper before only had one tank. Thousands of hikers set off on long trails such as the AT every year carrying only one tank of cooking gas....or less. Many with no cooking gas at all!
Old 13-01-2021, 03:08   #1242

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post

running out....well, yes, that's a mistake.....maybe. Still, if that's the worst mistake a person makes I think they'll be just fine....

My RV has only on LP tank. My popup camper before only had one tank. Thousands of hikers set off on long trails such as the AT every year carrying only one tank of cooking gas....or less. Many with no cooking gas at all!

I don’t know about inexperience but it seems like poor planning because with just one tank it’s inevitable that they will run out from time to time, and unlike on your RV they’re unlikely to be just a mile or so from being able to buy more. Yes, hikers may carry only one bottle but that’s because they literally must carry the propane on their backs but the weight of a backup supply of propane on a sailboat is insignificant. I had a boat with room for only one propane tank in the propane locker but I wanted a backup supply available so I could still cook when it ran out. So I got a fitting that cost about $10 that would allow me to attach the little quart bottles to my system and kept a couple of them laying on top of my main propane tank. They’d get me by until my next opportunity to fill the main tank. Maybe LaVagabond has a similar arrangement?
Old 13-01-2021, 03:30   #1243

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post

Yep, I’m with you on this - six years of cruising by La Vag tells me they have a lot of experience as full-time cruisers, but just don’t see multiple gas bottles as a priority. Each to their own.

Out of four boats I’ve only had a washing machine on one... saying they’re essential to cruising is stretching it a bit thin. So they wash their clothes in the shower... who cares? The clothes get clean, they’re sailing places where not a lot of clothing is required anyway, so....

N
Old 13-01-2021, 04:28   #1244

if they had 5 gas bottles they wouldn’t have the chance to do an episode on if you can fry an egg on the engine.

Drama sells. If everything went smoothly it would be boring. No body wants to see you do the laundry but looking for a laundromat in exotic places is marginally more interesting.
Old 13-01-2021, 05:32   #1245

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
I don’t know about inexperience but it seems like poor planning because with just one tank it’s inevitable that they will run out from time to time, and unlike on your RV they’re unlikely to be just a mile or so from being able to buy more. Yes, hikers may carry only one bottle but that’s because they literally must carry the propane on their backs but the weight of a backup supply of propane on a sailboat is insignificant. I had a boat with room for only one propane tank in the propane locker but I wanted a backup supply available so I could still cook when it ran out. So I got a fitting that cost about $10 that would allow me to attach the little quart bottles to my system and kept a couple of them laying on top of my main propane tank. They’d get me by until my next opportunity to fill the main tank. Maybe LaVagabond has a similar arrangement?
You might be surprised about how 'easy' it is sometimes to find LP for the RV. Just a mile or so....
well some campgrounds sell it, and it seems like it would be easy....but I've had plenty of times when it took some serious doing to find a fill when I wanted to top off.

For what it's worth, I wasn't paying close attention but I do think the Lavagabond girl did mention something about starting to stash a spare bottle from now on...
My take.... they had options for uncooked meals and are likely taking the decision to simplify, save weight, or whatever.... and were stretching the fill planning to fill at the next port for whatever reason and hoping, knowing it was close....part of the plan....and then took the opportunity to make some drama for the camera.... trying to fry an egg on the manifold. I don't have a problem with that.
What she should have tried is wrap the uncracked egg in foil and tucked it down in the manifold someplace for a hard cooked egg..... would have taken longer but I recon it might have worked better than a skillet.
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard