Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2019, 09:36   #1

Lermar Ocean 3 to V4/5

question for you guys who might be familiar or also upgraded from the Lewmar Ocean series to the V series.. . Currently needing to replace the motor on my 20 year old Ocean 3; Was looking to go tot he V4/V5 series which from documentation are direct replacements (outside of some electrical considerations).

Anyhow, wondering if I can keep my gypsy/Drum on the current Ocean 3 and just upgrade to the V4/v5 motor ? Apparently the Ocean 3 maps to the V4 unit as a "direct replacement".

I would do the entire thing - but it appears that I have a 5" deck height issue to get around (my bowsprit being 3.5" and deck being 1.5, for a total of 5") And that appears to be a special order part that takes a couple months to get. My current Ocean apparently has the extende drive shaft and getting m10 studs of that length isnt that diffcult.

So wondering if anyone who knows or has gone through this can provide some insight. Thanks
anthem00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 10:15   #2
cruiser

Re: Lermar Ocean 3 to V4/5

I’d sent you some information that you specifically requested of me via a pm yesterday along with a dealer contact. Why don’t you simply call and ask them? It seems I wasted my time.

No, the Ocean 3 gypsy can’t be used on the V5, otherwise I would have done that.

A proper thank you for the information would have been appropriate.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 10:25   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Why would you want to do this? Once you replace the gearbox and motor you already have in effect a new windlass.

I'm not a big fan of the Ocean 3 (been using one for the last 10 years), but I'm not aware that the new ones are any better. One good thing about the Ocean 3 is that the motor is easily replaced, and the cost is relatively modest, at least compared to a new windlass.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 10:46   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I’d sent you some information that you specifically requested of me via a pm yesterday along with a dealer contact. Why don’t you simply call and ask them? It seems I wasted my time.

No, the Ocean 3 gypsy can’t be used on the V5, otherwise I would have done that.

A proper thank you for the information would have been appropriate.
Hey- thanks a lot for your response. I figured I would throw it out since it gets a bit more complex now. I didnt think I asked you that question, but thank you for responding. . .

I opened a question to Lewmar, and started a discussion with Mauri Pro - who has been trying to be helpful. (I'll be trying to throw them my business once I get my answers done). The issue was that Mauri is asking USTechSupport of Lewmar in New York, who is then relaying the messages to the UK to have them answer it - and then coming back to the US Tech Support arm and back to Mauri and then to me. They dont know the answer and neither do Mauri. The reason I know is that I called Lewmar in NY and finally got through to them. SHe knew the exact question and what it was pertaining from as she was responding to Mauri about it.

Ok, so the issue isnt as simple. My current Ocean's direct replacement is supposedly a V4. The V4 and V5 are essentially identical outside of the motor that is involved, so why wouldnt you get the V5. The issue is that my windlass is on a custom bowsprit (which isnt moving). That along with the deck thickness is 5.325 inches (measured with calipers through the anchor hole). The maximum listed thickness is 5" as per the documentation for the V4 and V5. and that ISNT with the standard windlass package. Apparently that involves a deck extension kit - which has a longer drive shaft (makes sense) and studs (which I believe are 10mm threaded rods). Its also currently being quoted at 8+ weeks out. No one seems to know the partnumber or what and how to order. She said - essentially its custom eventhough they list as max deck thickness of 5" eventhough they dont know what part or availability to achieve that 5" deck thickness.

The reason I asked is that apparently the Ocean 3 I have has the longer shaft and studs. So not trying to save money, but trying to save time here.

Trying to keep things a bit simpler with a replacement. But if everything starts changing, the discussion can open up an entire can of worms to other windlasses and what not. . lol

But kenomac - I seriously appreciate the response. it was helpful. And I appreciate the followup here as well answering that question. I want to go the v5 and just have a 1.5 step upgrade with a stronger windlass as it makes things simpler. Just trying to figure out how best it will work since Lewmar doesnt even know what to order. And the vendor tried to help which I appreciate, but even these questions are beyond him or the US arm of Lewmar.
Old 31-05-2019, 10:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Why would you want to do this? Once you replace the gearbox and motor you already have in effect a new windlass.

I'm not a big fan of the Ocean 3 (been using one for the last 10 years), but I'm not aware that the new ones are any better. One good thing about the Ocean 3 is that the motor is easily replaced, and the cost is relatively modest, at least compared to a new windlass.
Not my first choice. trying to actually see if the drive shaft will work. lewmar does re-use a lot of parts from line to line. I would actually just install the new gypsy/drum but need the extended drive shaft that I have. My deck thickness is 5.25" and apparently its a extended shaft kit that no one seems to have a clue what the part number or availability is. So if that drive shaft could be reused. . .. . . would save a ton of time.
Old 31-05-2019, 11:58   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthem00 View Post
Hey- thanks a lot for your response. I figured I would throw it out since it gets a bit more complex now. I didnt think I asked you that question, but thank you for responding. . .

I opened a question to Lewmar, and started a discussion with Mauri Pro - who has been trying to be helpful. (I'll be trying to throw them my business once I get my answers done). The issue was that Mauri is asking USTechSupport of Lewmar in New York, who is then relaying the messages to the UK to have them answer it - and then coming back to the US Tech Support arm and back to Mauri and then to me. They dont know the answer and neither do Mauri. The reason I know is that I called Lewmar in NY and finally got through to them. SHe knew the exact question and what it was pertaining from as she was responding to Mauri about it.

Ok, so the issue isnt as simple. My current Ocean's direct replacement is supposedly a V4. The V4 and V5 are essentially identical outside of the motor that is involved, so why wouldnt you get the V5. The issue is that my windlass is on a custom bowsprit (which isnt moving). That along with the deck thickness is 5.325 inches (measured with calipers through the anchor hole). The maximum listed thickness is 5" as per the documentation for the V4 and V5. and that ISNT with the standard windlass package. Apparently that involves a deck extension kit - which has a longer drive shaft (makes sense) and studs (which I believe are 10mm threaded rods). Its also currently being quoted at 8+ weeks out. No one seems to know the partnumber or what and how to order. She said - essentially its custom eventhough they list as max deck thickness of 5" eventhough they dont know what part or availability to achieve that 5" deck thickness.

The reason I asked is that apparently the Ocean 3 I have has the longer shaft and studs. So not trying to save money, but trying to save time here.

Trying to keep things a bit simpler with a replacement. But if everything starts changing, the discussion can open up an entire can of worms to other windlasses and what not. . lol

But kenomac - I seriously appreciate the response. it was helpful. And I appreciate the followup here as well answering that question. I want to go the v5 and just have a 1.5 step upgrade with a stronger windlass as it makes things simpler. Just trying to figure out how best it will work since Lewmar doesnt even know what to order. And the vendor tried to help which I appreciate, but even these questions are beyond him or the US arm of Lewmar.
Go to the Lewmar website and download the install pdf for each windlass, then compare.
Old 31-05-2019, 12:09   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

We had a broken down, weak Lewmar Ocean 3 windlass until we upgraded to the Lewmar V5 windlass last year, and there is a BIG difference in power, torque and speed by essentially upsizing two sizes. The Ocean 3 motor was no longer available, and besides... why would we want to replace something that wasn’t up to the job?

Now you know.
Old 31-05-2019, 12:11   #8

Yep. Already did that. The problem is that Lewmar has started "generalizing" their parts. In previous models, you got exact part numbers for each part. Now they are just reference numbers to "kits".

For isntance, the shaft ID of the Ocean 3 that I have is Lewmar Part number 65000446. The new stuff is never listed by part - only kits. So the shaft is now part of the "Drive Kit" which is part number 66000071 - which is the assembly of that shaft. I'm beginning to think it probably cant since the diagrams show a slightly different shaft type but these diagrams are not exactly picture accurate and the parts are now listed by grouping rather than individually. Guess I'll just wait to see what they come back with next week.

But not just the past shaft, need to know whether their 5" is approximate or its absolutely 5" vs 5.325" - as that would be a deal breaker if it cant handle anything over 5" at all. At that point, the discussion moves to getting a VW3500 from Maxwell or anything else that is rated to handle our deck thickness. Obviously trying to stay simple as then we dont need to change out deck contactors/controllers. etc etc.
Old 02-06-2019, 15:54   #9

Boat: Catana 471

Anthem. I had an Ocean 3 with the extended shaft, although in my case the extra length wasn't really required. I think the manufacturer either installed the extended version just to give an extra 4" or so of wrench-turning room (which wasn't really needed) or maybe because they'd standardized on the extended version to fit a range of boat models. Regardless, I replaced it with a standard (non extended) V4. I briefly considered re-using the long shaft and the extension spool/spacer from the Ocean 3, but found that the mounting bolts from the spacer spool didn't align with the mounting holes on the V4 motor flange. I think the shaft and keyway were different as well.

Your Ocean 3 mounting hardware may be different than mine was, but no way I could have made any of my extended Ocean 3 parts work with the V4.

BTW, the mounting holes in the V4 baseplate do match those on the Ocean 3 (although the V4 baseplate has just a touch narrower footprint and the chain cover portion is just a touch taller).
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 17:49   #10

Jetx - thank you for the response. Based on the diagrams jr doesn’t look like the shaft will work. It looks like the later v models have a collar on it that the ocean series does not.

My ocean appears to have a longer shaft as it extends down through the motor and I have a 5.325” thick deck. I believe the original manufacturer fitted the long shaft on it. Or it could possible have come that way. The v4/v5 appears to have a decent size shaft but don’t know if it will fit a thicker deck. But the stud bolts appear to be much shorter and not handle it. But getting longer m10 threaded studs shouldn’t be a problem. The shaft - yeah that could be.

And I would totally just order and try it and if it doesn’t work - order the longer shaft. But the issue is that they state a 5” max. And I’m at 5.325. Just a hair longer than that. So I don’t want to order it / and then have to get the special shaft and find out that the tolerance is only to 5 and absolutely no more. Because -that would be a real problem.

Do you guys who have a v5/v4 know how long the drive shaft is and whether it is decently long ? As in like a solid 3in longer than a “normal” 1.5/2in deck mount ?
Old 02-06-2019, 22:33   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We had a broken down, weak Lewmar Ocean 3 windlass until we upgraded to the Lewmar V5 windlass last year, and there is a BIG difference in power, torque and speed by essentially upsizing two sizes. The Ocean 3 motor was no longer available, and besides... why would we want to replace something that wasn’t up to the job?

Now you know.

I bought an Ocean 3 motor just last year; I replaced it before going to the Arctic so that we would have a spare.

Yes, if you're going up two sizes, then that is of course all good. I have not found the Ocean 3 to be too small for us, even lifting 100 meters of 12mm chain with a 121 pound anchor on it. It has plenty of power.

The gripe I have with these winches is that the clutch is crap, and there is no way to work it manually. Plus if you're not paying attention and let the chain hockle just a little, you can get a jam in the spurling pipe. Lastly, sea water drips on the motor which is painted mild steel -- word to the wise -- Boeshield.

I think the Quick and the Lofrans windlasses are better, or best of all a horizontal one like Lighthouse, but that would require reengineering the deck, so not in the cards for me.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote