Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2020, 02:14   #796

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl.NZ View Post
You made the right call - he just went political on his channel about NZ rights being impinged because we have spacing stickers outside shops...freedom yada yada yada.
Oh dear....
Well, on a lighter note, I have been enjoying this guy -

He's not a liveaboard, but I find him tolerable, and I am not a tolerant person :P
Old 24-05-2020, 05:41   #797
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
All chain? All nylon rode? 50’ of chain then the rest nylon? New generation anchor? CQR?
Danforth? Sand bottom? Scoured bottom? Grass? All this matters.
From what I’ve heard the best ratio for chain/rode is 7:1, and the best ratio for all chain is 5:1. Of course one has to use whatever they are comfortable with.
I was amazed when I dropped our Mantus in a patch of sand and reversed hard on a 2:1 scope. It dug in within a foot of where it hit.
45lb Mantus On 35' sailboat (HR-35). All chain, 8mm with long Mantus Bridle snubber. I don't count the bridle as it is pretty much exactly at the surface of the water when backing down at 10:1 so I just do my scope calcs not including freeboard and measure from where I attach the Mantus hook.

Bridle comes up over bow chocks to bow cleats port and starboard. Backup chain hook right before windlass in case the bridle or hook fails. Belt and suspenders on everything. No half-measures. My boat, my only home, my family at stake and riding on that ground tackle almost every night, full time, year after year.

We don't spend many nights in marinas and I like sleeping like a baby not worrying about halfass and sketchy shortcut shortscope anchoring methods or crap plow-the-bottom old-generation anchors. By the book or go tie up to a ball -or worse yet a floating trailer park. If something is worth doing it is worth doing right every time. Set it and forget it, don't need to dive on it or other BS they do on YouTube..

10:1 and you will not drag unless someone totally screwed up. Screwups don't last long in cruising. It only takes that one time to end up on the rocks...
Old 24-05-2020, 06:01   #798

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post

10:1 and you will not drag unless someone totally screwed up. Screwups don't last long in cruising. It only takes that one time to end up on the rocks...
Yea, I basically do the same myself, I do 10:1 of the datum depth and call it good (yes, i know there are exceptions, and am aware of them). Works out as about 7:1.

I had debated whether it was a good idea promoting my lifestyle on social media, and risk the anchorages gettings clogged with idiots, but as you said, the idiots won't last long...
Old 24-05-2020, 06:03   #799
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
45lb Mantus On 35' sailboat (HR-35). All chain, 8mm with long Mantus Bridle snubber. I don't count the bridle as it is pretty much exactly at the surface of the water when backing down at 10:1 so I just do my scope calcs not including freeboard and measure from where I attach the Mantus hook.

Bridle comes up over bow chocks to bow cleats port and starboard. Backup chain hook right before windlass in case the bridle or hook fails. Belt and suspenders on everything. No half-measures. My boat, my only home, my family at stake and riding on that ground tackle almost every night, full time, year after year.

We don't spend many nights in marinas and I like sleeping like a baby not worrying about halfass and sketchy shortcut shortscope anchoring methods or crap plow-the-bottom old-generation anchors. By the book or go tie up to a ball -or worse yet a floating trailer park. If something is worth doing it is worth doing right every time. Set it and forget it, don't need to dive on it or other BS they do on YouTube..

“Set it and forget it, no need to dive on it” your quote. In our 28 years of cruising and anchoring I dive the anchor every chance I get. It’s by far the best anchoring education you can get. I can’t tell you how many times I thought the anchor was well set only to find the tip of the anchor laying in a small crack in the scoured bottom, any wind shift and we would be dragging. It will also give you the experience of knowing how well and on what scope your anchor will set on. Visually seeing the anchor well set in a stable bottom is as close as I can get to set it and forget it, though we never forget it as that’s the recipe for disaster.
Old 24-05-2020, 06:08   #800

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
“Set it and forget it, no need to dive on it” your quote. In our 28 years of cruising and anchoring I dive the anchor every chance I get. It’s by far the best anchoring education you can get. I can’t tell you how many times I thought the anchor was well set only to find the tip of the anchor laying in a small crack in the scoured bottom, any wind shift and we would be dragging. It will also give you the experience of knowing how well and on what scope your anchor will set on. Visually seeing the anchor well set in a stable bottom is as close as I can get to set it and forget it, though we never forget it as that’s the recipe for disaster.
I am in agreement there. Even when I am chartering, I will dive on my anchor and mark the location on the charts for future use. Plus, if it is calm, you may not notice a fouled anchor until the weather picks up - it may seem to hold, in one direction, but is actually just hooked up on something. Disasters have a habit of happening in the wee-hours of the morning, and the inconvenience of diving on your anchor is small compared to that.

The same goes for moorings - assuming they are properly maintained is a mistake.
Old 24-05-2020, 06:53   #801

Boat: Voyage Norseman 43'

I am not sure if you have ever created a 15 minute video, but it is very time consuming. First you have to shoot it, all those shots take time if you want to make a good video. Then you have to go through all the footage and figure out what order you want and what shot where and when. Next, any added things like descriptions in print over the clip, maps to show where you are in the world, etc. You have to go back and shoot B roll for fill in if you didn't do it the first time around. Then you have to figure out the voice overs if your going to do any. And don't forget music selection. If you don't want to get sued, you have to either pay for it or find some on a free sourced site. It is time consuming and if your making 1 to 2 videos a week it takes about 4 - 8 hours to edit one video. So working 8 to 16 hours isn't bad if that is all your doing.
We plan on making a few videos when we set sail for our friends and families, but don't plan on it being our source of income.

I love the videos with Dan and Kika - they actually recently did a video on how they shoot theirs. It was very informative and you should give it a watch.
So, don't be a hater and if you don't want to watch the videos, don't.
Old 24-05-2020, 07:10   #802
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

We all have our peculiarities. I prefer not to get into the water if I can help it. Haven't been for a swim in well over a year and live on the water 24/7. I have a look bucket that I can use to inspect the set as we usually anchor in less than 10-12' MLLW. We often anchor in 6-7'. Oftentimes I can see it from the bow Even though we try to get as close to 10:1 if we can, I rarely need to use more than 110-120' of chain. Advantage of drawing only 4'3".

I don't trust moorings much at all, and rarely use them unless there aren't other good anchoring choices nearby. Backing down hard on them and checking out the hardware top and bottom from the dinghy helps with peace of mind.. I have seen too many failures, although most boats lost off of balls are due to chafe of the pendant. I prefer to use our own heavy-duty dual mooring bridle we had made when we were in Chicago.

We used a ball for a few weeks this winter in BKH but only because it's basically the same price with or without the ball and the anchorages there are so full of clueless liveaboard harbor-trash squatting there in methlab boats that they are scarier than trusting the balls. We used one for a few weeks last summer in Montreal too, as it was cheap and came with all the services at Lonqueil Yacht Club.

GPS does a good job of locating the exact anchor position to within a few feet I have found. I know how much distance there is from the receiver to the bow roller and what direction we were heading when we dropped it. That's just math, good enough for 6-8 feet accuracy most of the time. And like it was mentioned earlier, the Mantus pretty much sets instantly at even ridiculous scope. If it doesn't set right away you know it right away, that's just an experience thing. But if someone feels the need to dive on their anchor every time to check that they did it right, go ahead. Whatever helps them sleep at night. Belt and suspenders is not a bad thing. With a look bucket and having a shoal keel I find it isn't necessary for the way we anchor.
Old 25-05-2020, 14:29   #803

Boat: Costco boogie board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
Oh dear....
Well, on a lighter note, I have been enjoying this guy -

He's not a liveaboard, but I find him tolerable, and I am not a tolerant person :P

I tried watching him but realized quickly that you are probably spot on to prioritize weed just to keep him in your "tolerable" zone. We have so many Canadians here in Hawaii. Those of us that don't work for tips really love them.
Did you hear the story about Canada taking over the USA?

It was all maple leaf
Kimo
Marooned on Maui
Old 25-05-2020, 14:44   #804

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo_Kai View Post
I tried watching him but realized quickly that you are probably spot on to prioritize weed just to keep him in your "tolerable" zone. We have so many Canadians here in Hawaii. Those of us that don't work for tips really love them.
Did you hear the story about Canada taking over the USA?

It was all maple leaf
Kimo
Marooned on Maui
Fair enough, I like the fact that he builds his own stuff and keeps a tidy ship. Tbh the weed is also for several broken ribs that I am still coping with after 3 years, better than taking painkillers everyday. I just hate the "overly energetic youtube influencer" format that seems so common.
Old 25-05-2020, 14:49   #805

Quote:
Fair enough, I like the fact that he builds his own stuff and keeps a tidy ship. Tbh the weed is also for several broken ribs that I am still coping with after 3 years, better than taking painkillers everyday. I just hate the "overly energetic youtube influencer" format that seems so common.

Then be an under the influencer.
Old 25-05-2020, 14:51   #806

Quote:
What's your story anyway mate? How did you become "stranded in Maui"?
Old 25-05-2020, 14:53   #807

Quote:
What's your story anyway mate? How did you become "stranded in Maui"?
Happy wife, happy life.

Kimo
Marooned on Maui
Old 25-05-2020, 14:53   #808

Quote:
And yea, it was a mistake to mention that I smoke weed. I'm not a "stoner" and don't associate with that culture.
Old 25-05-2020, 14:54   #809

Quote:
Happy wife, happy life.

Kimo
Marooned on Maui
Fair enough, and she can't be convinced to go cruising?
Old 25-05-2020, 14:56   #810

Boat: Panda/Baba 40

https://www.gofundme.com/f/childress...pd+share-sheet

Really sad. Apparently their insurance company won’t pay for illness from a pandemic.
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard