Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2020, 14:57   #811
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
We all have our peculiarities. I prefer not to get into the water if I can help it. Haven't been for a swim in well over a year and live on the water 24/7. I have a look bucket that I can use to inspect the set as we usually anchor in less than 10-12' MLLW. We often anchor in 6-7'. Oftentimes I can see it from the bow Even though we try to get as close to 10:1 if we can, I rarely need to use more than 110-120' of chain. Advantage of drawing only 4'3".

I don't trust moorings much at all, and rarely use them unless there aren't other good anchoring choices nearby. Backing down hard on them and checking out the hardware top and bottom from the dinghy helps with peace of mind.. I have seen too many failures, although most boats lost off of balls are due to chafe of the pendant. I prefer to use our own heavy-duty dual mooring bridle we had made when we were in Chicago.

We used a ball for a few weeks this winter in BKH but only because it's basically the same price with or without the ball and the anchorages there are so full of clueless liveaboard harbor-trash squatting there in methlab boats that they are scarier than trusting the balls. We used one for a few weeks last summer in Montreal too, as it was cheap and came with all the services at Lonqueil Yacht Club.

GPS does a good job of locating the exact anchor position to within a few feet I have found. I know how much distance there is from the receiver to the bow roller and what direction we were heading when we dropped it. That's just math, good enough for 6-8 feet accuracy most of the time. And like it was mentioned earlier, the Mantus pretty much sets instantly at even ridiculous scope. If it doesn't set right away you know it right away, that's just an experience thing. But if someone feels the need to dive on their anchor every time to check that they did it right, go ahead. Whatever helps them sleep at night. Belt and suspenders is not a bad thing. With a look bucket and having a shoal keel I find it isn't necessary for the way we anchor.

Never used GPS to anchor, is that something the YouTuber generation of cruisers made popular?
Old 25-05-2020, 15:09   #812
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
5:1 scope is a lunch hook. Absolute minimum in a very protected anchorage in good weather. 10:1 is more like it, if at all possible, or as close as practicable. Be sure to start from the right number for true depth in the scope equation.

Add freeboard, maximum foreseeable burial depth of the anchor, maximum tide, maximum foreseeable wave height, and finally any wind sayche or storm surge expected.

Just using the MLLW number on the chart or the number on the depth sounder when you pull in will almost always be way too low, and scope will be much lower than calculated.

At 10:1 at worst case high-high water you will sleep soundly or feel OK ashore at the pub or grocery store when a freak storm blows up when you are away and your boat has to fend for herself out there.

But if you think 5:1 is Okay, it's your boat.

For how long have you actually lived at anchor, and in what sort of conditions? And, is your anchor size appropriate? Using chain or string?
Old 25-05-2020, 15:19   #813

Boat: Costco boogie board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
Fair enough, and she can't be convinced to go cruising?

TBD

I really think in 2020 that mentioning weed would be the least of your problems. You are an international public celebrity. Heck even Elon Musk goes on Joe Rogan and blazes. I don't think it was a mistake.

Kimo
Marooned on Maui
Old 25-05-2020, 15:28   #814

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo_Kai View Post
TBD

I really think in 2020 that mentioning weed would be the least of your problems. You are an international public celebrity. Heck even Elon Musk goes on Joe Rogan and blazes. I don't think it was a mistake.

Kimo
Marooned on Maui
True, I guess things have changed a lot in the US in recent years. Lol, good luck with the Mrs! I was fortunate with mine, managed to convince her to buy the boat with me despite her not even being able to swim at the time. Apparently communist era Poland did not have the funds for swimming lessons
Old 25-05-2020, 15:44   #815

Quote:
True, I guess things have changed a lot in the US in recent years. Lol, good luck with the Mrs! I was fortunate with mine, managed to convince her to buy the boat with me despite her not even being able to swim at the time. Apparently communist era Poland did not have the funds for swimming lessons

Well in communist era East Germany they just pushed them in the pool and held them under with long poles. Brutal. So that's what I'm dealing with. She's a very good sport and has gone on many adventures with me and quite a bit of boating even in Bocas which can get hairy. I have faith. I can always put her on a plane and do the crossings with my boy.
Upside is the communists aren't big shoppers and appreciate the simple things!

Kimo
Marooned on Maui
Old 25-05-2020, 15:51   #816

Quote:
Well in communist era East Germany they just pushed them in the pool and held them under with long poles. Brutal. So that's what I'm dealing with. She's a very good sport and has gone on many adventures with me and quite a bit of boating even in Bocas which can get hairy. I have faith. I can always put her on a plane and do the crossings with my boy.
Upside is the communists aren't big shoppers and appreciate the simple things!

Kimo
Marooned on Maui
Haha, true, yea, I had an east german ex too. Not that either of them actually appreciated communism, but the background certainly makes them pretty grounded people. Btw, I put out a "Crew available" post as a single-handed delivery skipper, if you know anyone that needs a boat delivered on a budget and is having trouble finding other options. Not going to be able to get the autopilot built on the proceeds of my Youtube superstardom it seems
Old 25-05-2020, 16:12   #817

Quote:
Haha, true, yea, I had an east german ex too. Not that either of them actually appreciated communism, but the background certainly makes them pretty grounded people. Btw, I put out a "Crew available" post as a single-handed delivery skipper, if you know anyone that needs a boat delivered on a budget and is having trouble finding other options. Not going to be able to get the autopilot built on the proceeds of my Youtube superstardom it seems

Zero appreciation for communism. Nil.

I did come across this guy looking for budget delivery options.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...il-234305.html

Kimo
Marooned on Maui
50th Post!
Old 25-05-2020, 16:17   #818

Quote:
Zero appreciation for communism. Nil.

I did come across this guy looking for budget delivery options.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...il-234305.html

Kimo
Marooned on Maui
50th Post!
Lol, you mean the post we've both been commenting on for the last two days? Yea, I remember it :P Gratz on the stars matey!
Nah, I'm not looking to babysit someone, just want to get paid for taking a ship from A to B. Had an inquiry regarding NZ to Mexico already. I'm up for it, I'll see what he says.
Old 25-05-2020, 16:26   #819

Quote:
Lol, you mean the post we've both been commenting on for the last two days? Yea, I remember it :P Gratz on the stars matey!
Nah, I'm not looking to babysit someone, just want to get paid for taking a ship from A to B. Had an inquiry regarding NZ to Mexico already. I'm up for it, I'll see what he says.
Shoots Brah! **

Go for the gig! Break a leg! Wondering when NZ will open up enough to allow you in. Appears they will start with a bubble with OZ. Heard one rumor of three years before opening up!

With a reasonable number of setbacks, how long would that delivery take?

Kimo
Marooned on Maui
Old 25-05-2020, 16:28   #820

Quote:
Shoots Brah! **

Go for the gig! Break a leg! Wondering when NZ will open up enough to allow you in. Appears they will start with a bubble with OZ. Heard one rumor of three years before opening up!

With a reasonable number of setbacks, how long would that delivery take?

Kimo
Marooned on Maui
25-30 days. My longest non-stop so far, but not by much. It's all the same after the first three days anyway, and I enjoy being alone with the ocean.
Old 25-05-2020, 16:30   #821

I may be able to fly there from here, not sure, but we don't have the virus here in Cape Verde, at least not on this island, so maybe.
Old 25-05-2020, 16:39   #822

Quote:
I may be able to fly there from here, not sure, but we don't have the virus here in Cape Verde, at least not on this island, so maybe.

No one is flying into NZ right now. Not Anyone. Doesn't matter where you are from. That's where all of the uber wealthy have their doomsday bunkers. Outsiders are not welcome. Maori culture is an extension of Hawaiian culture and I can promise you that Aloha has been suspended.

Alone? What about insurance? What kind of craft are we talking about (vaguely of course there might be pirates here!) ?

Kimo
Marooned on Maui
Old 25-05-2020, 16:50   #823

Quote:
No one is flying into NZ right now. Not Anyone. Doesn't matter where you are from. That's where all of the uber wealthy have their doomsday bunkers. Outsiders are not welcome. Maori culture is an extension of Hawaiian culture and I can promise you that Aloha has been suspended.

Alone? What about insurance? What kind of craft are we talking about (vaguely of course there might be pirates here!) ?

Kimo
Marooned on Maui
I'm guessing around 42-45' if he is estimating 25-30 days single handing. I quoted by the day, so the actual amount doesn't worry me. But I guess if I can't fly in there then the job's not on. Though of course I would be want more than the details he has provided before I accept. But i made my basic requirements known already in the crew post. If he wanted an insured passage he wouldn't be responding to my ad, and would be looking at an extra zero on the price. But I'm not in the habit of killing myself, and have been successful so far at that. :P
Even on relatively short passages I go as far out to sea as I can as soon as I can, mostly to avoid shipping, but also because I like it. So the pirate risk should be minimal.
Old 25-05-2020, 17:17   #824
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Never used GPS to anchor, is that something the YouTuber generation of cruisers made popular?
You've never made a chart with your own site survey, using your own geopositioned soundings?

Pity.
Old 25-05-2020, 17:46   #825

Quote:
But I'm not in the habit of killing myself, and have been successful so far at that. :P

I would be more than willing, and I do think qualified, to provide you a reference in that regard.

Kimo
Marooned on Maui
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard