Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2020, 09:51   #946

Boat: J/34c, B&B Spindrift 11N
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
The only thing I watch is Sail Life. Mads is funny, nerdy, and has some serious DIY skills. As I am looking at some DIY work in my future it also has helped me to temper my plans on how much I want to improve/replace at least initially.

Anyone know of similar DIY work channels or even a all around ailing channel which is heavy on DIY work?
I subscribe to 4 boat building channels which is all hands on all the time. Not much sailing though
SV Tapatya
Salt & Tar
Acorn to Arabella
Sampson Boat Company

Sailing Uma has completely redone their boat so lots of upgrade videos. Kika is a cutie pie. This upsets some people.

MJ Sailing also has a ton of videos of fixing up their aluminum boat which you may like. They plan on starting to build a catamaran soon so you may find that interesting also.
Old 28-07-2020, 10:54   #947

Boat: Seaward 22

Maybe re-sale value is a US thing.

I think reality of having a shove off date is setting in. I drool over his engine room.
Old 28-07-2020, 14:37   #948

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
Troy is the real deal he crewed for me on a trip from cyprus to kenya 20 years ago when he was fresh off the pearl diving boats working in the NT.

nice guy
Old 28-07-2020, 23:26   #949

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
He has, but since a boat is something to be consumed, it doesn't really matter.

Is it a North American thing to be concerned about the re-sale of a boat? I don't see it so much on the more european focused boards. It's not an investment.

I wouldn't worry about what a computer or some clothes are going be worth when I'm finished. They being bought to be used (consumed), and enjoyed.

Anyway back on topic, have you seen how his OCD has been relaxing a little now? In the last few episodes there are a number of things he calls not perfect but "good enough" seems the pressure to get back in the water is real.

I was a big follower of Mads since his Albin Ballad days, and loved seeing the improvements on that boat and the progress from that to Athena, not to mention I found him pleasant and witty. The biggest issue I have is the amount of money, time and effort he has spent on Athena, trying to make it the perfect boat, which we all know... He could have bought a better boat to start, and put the effort into that, but it's his money so... I've kinda lost interest, only because he seems to be on a tangent of re-building/improving Athena to the extreme, but it will always just be a Warrior. For me, it has nothing to do with the re-sale of the boat, just trying to "make a silk purse out of a sows ear" as the saying goes. And the more he puts on it, i.e generator, washer/dryer/ freezer, etc, the less performance he will have. I still watch the guy, but un-subed when he was talking about welding his own toe rail... And yes, he has relaxed the OCD a lot, and is more in a "good enough" mode now, which, again would have save him a lot of time and money, if he has been "cured" a long time ago...
Old 28-07-2020, 23:52   #950

Boat: Leopard 40

I really love Sailing Uma. The couple are only about 5 or 6 years out of university. He's from Canada, she's from Haiti. They met in uni. They're both architects who have contractor experience. It's amazing what they've done with their boat that they bought for a song.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXb...jG3gOsSnNJPVlg

Maje
Old 29-07-2020, 04:23   #951
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

You don't "get" Mads because he isn't you. He isn't building Athena for you or anyone else (except for Ava, which explains why he is slamming stuff together to get done earlier) It was always his dream to do a complete sailboat rebuild and build "his perfect boat" to his dream specifications (which aren't yours.) He isn't a performance sailor -or even a really experienced sailor yet, much less a cruiser.

He is just a guy that loves to build things in his spare time, like the guy who spends 10 years reconditioning and modifying an old Ford Mustang in his garage. Yes, he could have bought a brand new mustang from a dealer that would have more power and better performance and spend a lot less money and especially his time. It'll always be an old mustang with all the cheesy production shortcuts they used back then. Why bother? If you don't get it, you'll never get it.
Old 29-07-2020, 09:29   #952

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

I don't think he went in to this planning to do the re-build he has. I think it just got away from him, such as the new foam deck. I would say he bought a boat, then realized what he had,and what was wrong with it, and was put in a "Crap, I gotta fix it" position. I did the same thing with a Tartan sailboat, over a three year period. Once I was into it, I couldn't turn back. I think he's now at the point where good enough is good enough. I'm pretty sure there's some pressure from Ava, but possibly some self induced pressure to just get it done. After all, the man works a full time job, spends a lot of his free time working on Athena, and still has to maintain a relationship long distance. There's only so much time in a day...
As far as comparing this to restoring a 65 Ford Mustang, apples and oranges...maybe an old Hinckley and a Mustang
Old 29-07-2020, 10:54   #953
Senior Cruiser

If you were watching from the beginning you would know that it was his plans all along to do a multi-year intensive rebuild inside and out of his second larger sailboat while living on his first one. A smaller sailboat that he had already done a fair bit of work on in order to make it livable and comfortable to do local cruising on and live full time on in the marina.

He stated this plan a few different times, and over the last couple of years after he has become popular with newbie fans who never bothered to go back and watch his old videos from the start he has gotten sick of repeating it.

Of course he didn't know the extent of the deck core damage, or the pervasive nature of the moisture in the hull to keel structural members. But these issues are present in many used sailboats of this age and once found the only right thing to do was exactly what he did do. He has always been good at doing fine work and fixing things right.

I think had he not had to spend the time on those major joker projects he would have found other equally time-intensive projects on the boat to sink a couple of years into. I believe he intially wanted to do a much more detailed custom interior that he is never going to be able to do now once he has rushed things so his lady can move into the boat with him. It is very difficult to work on a boat you are living on, and 10x when living with a lady friend while doing so.

If we want to get into Mads' mistakes I feel he should push the project back another year, move back into an apartment with Ava when she comes to live with him, and go full-time DIY YouTuber after quitting his job and spending an extra year making the entire boat just perfect like he always intended before moving in, and back when he was single. I think he will regret not doing so and every time he has to deal with a "good enough" item he builtnin a hurry he will get more and more regretful about this.

So I feel it is just the opposite of your objections. He has decades to live aboard and cruise. He is young, and will have a good income of making videos to support himself. But he may never get a chance again to "build it right" again without starting all over again with another boat.

And since Ava already has stated she would rather have a cattlemoran I have a feeling they may be back in a boatyard doing another extensive refit on one while this time living on Athena In a slip.

Heck, I'd watch the videos of him doing just that. I bet they would be more fun to watch than the boring crap every carbon-copy cruising channel churns out week after week with the GF/wife flaunting her milkshake on the screengrab of every video. Lame...
Old 29-07-2020, 11:14   #954

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

If Mads had just bought a better boat, he wouldn't have had the followers and support he has now, so wouldn't be able to quit his job to go sailing.

It's interesting as I remember him quitting his job before, then some time later he suddenly started working again, I think in his old job.

I did watch a few videos before Athena. I was only interested in he improvements though, his sailing ones weren't my thing. Looking forward to seeing him get Athena in the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post
I really love Sailing Uma. The couple are only about 5 or 6 years out of university. He's from Canada, she's from Haiti. They met in uni. They're both architects who have contractor experience. It's amazing what they've done with their boat that they bought for a song.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXb...jG3gOsSnNJPVlg

Maje
5 years out of University but they aren't young. It's not like the UK were you go to university at 18 and finish at 21. Dan is 32, so in the same ballpark as Riley on La Vaga. Very different levels of maturity though.
Old 29-07-2020, 11:23   #955
Senior Cruiser

It will be interesting to see how he transitions into a cruising channel and finds his voice.

His storytelling has become very skilled, especially since he shoots on the fly and publishes weekly in real time with only a couple of hours to final edit and render.

I agree that his earlier sailing videos struggled to find a strong storytelling voice like he projects now in the current DIY videos.
Old 08-08-2020, 00:18   #956

Youtube recommended this channel to me today. 12 videos, 4 months old, 69k followers.

Then we have Drake Paragon, 9 years, hundreds of videos and 33k followers.

I don't really watch anyone regularly anymore. I will probably keep an eye on ruby rose simply because they are doing a seawind 1370 build.

I've been watching Sailing Magic Carpet lately. The people are easy on the eye without flaunting it in your face and I prefer the slow well thought out narration style of story telling rather than the go pro in your face jumping off booms all the time channels.

I think most people will watch something if the subject matter interests them, I can't imagine too many people following a channel religiously. Most channels now days will have some fluff just to get over the 10mins run time that youtube likes. I think Ruby rose has really fallen into that category lately.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:38   #957

Someone mentioned Free Range Sailing above. I haven't come across them before so had a little look. Very likable couple and the videos are full of information.

We in the first world are so lucky to be able to live dignified lives with relative ease. Any one willing to work in a supermarket and save for a few years can do what these guys do.

Old 08-08-2020, 04:09   #958

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

The thing that concerns me about Mads is that the only sailing he's done in the last few years he had to abort because of incapacitating seasickness.

I've started watching "Alluring Arctic", which is pretty hardcore high latitude sailing in a very small boat. No bikinis there!
Old 08-08-2020, 06:01   #959
Senior Cruiser

People deal with seasickness. Almost nobody finds it an insurmountable challenge.

The last few voyages Mads has done were on very filthy/moldy boats. Filth, diesel spillage, mold and mildew all combine to make the symptoms 10x worse.

Athena has been cleaned and overhauled from top to bottom. When he bought that boat there had been water festering in some of those compartments without any proper limber holes for decades. Is it any wonder he became ill sailing it home?
Old 08-08-2020, 21:09   #960

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Let's hope so. He also had to abort his planned transatlantic aboard a friend's boat because he was so ill for several days.
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard