Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2020, 18:33   #826
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
You've never made a chart with your own site survey, using your own geopositioned soundings?

Pity.

Nope, and Iíve never used my GPS to set my anchor. Guess Iím old fashioned compared to you learn by YouTube cruisers?
Old 25-05-2020, 18:45   #827

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35

Keep trying, hurb
Old 25-05-2020, 18:53   #828
smj

Quote:
Keep trying, hurb

Ainít no trying youíve shown your colors
Old 25-05-2020, 19:05   #829

Scrub a dub dub.
Old 25-05-2020, 19:23   #830

Boat: Costco boogie board

Quote:
Scrub a dub dub.

Careful you might get wet.
Old 25-05-2020, 19:40   #831

Always, you should try it
Old 25-05-2020, 20:04   #832

Quote:
Always, you should try it

Try what? Anchoring by youtube?
Old 25-05-2020, 20:29   #833

Quote:
You've never made a chart with your own site survey, using your own geopositioned soundings?

Pity.
I love the "Quickdraw Contours" feature of my Garmin units. I use them for fishing but same principle.
Old 25-05-2020, 20:40   #834

Naviinics has something similar. It can do a fairly complete site survey automatically when you motor around the area you might want to anchor. With the tide tables you can very accurately determine if you have enough safe swing radius at low tide with a known scope and positive enough anchor location down to a few feet. We also have a hand-held depth sounder we can use from our dinghy and can do a site survey with that while fixing each soundings GPS location and making our own extremely accurate bathymetric chart right on the plotter.
Old 26-05-2020, 00:07   #835

Quote:
Naviinics has something similar. It can do a fairly complete site survey automatically when you motor around the area you might want to anchor. With the tide tables you can very accurately determine if you have enough safe swing radius at low tide with a known scope and positive enough anchor location down to a few feet. We also have a hand-held depth sounder we can use from our dinghy and can do a site survey with that while fixing each soundings GPS location and making our own extremely accurate bathymetric chart right on the plotter.

That's all fun in techno happy land but practice the procedures you will/can use when the power is gone and the electronics are fried. Hope for the best (that guys' advice) and plan for things you can always count on.

Kimo
Marooned on Maui
Old 26-05-2020, 00:58   #836

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo_Kai View Post
That's all fun in techno happy land but practice the procedures you will/can use when the power is gone and the electronics are fried. Hope for the best (that guys' advice) and plan for things you can always count on.

Kimo
Marooned on Maui
While I do carry paper charts , I also have a back-up gps receiver for the laptop, a phone with open cpn and charts for the cockpit (in a splash-proof housing), and another phone with the same stowed in a waterproof case. I do also have an anchor watch app on the phones, which is a nice security for the first night after I have made landfall when I am still not sure about the quality of the holding in the area. In practice I use the phones for course keeping (there is a nice app that displays course and speed in a large format) and the laptop I use for when I am writing the log and doing weather routing. My only electronic instrument is a depth sounder I use my ears to tell wind direction - if I can feel the wind on both my ears, I am looking at it.
I do have tell-tails about the place, but they are not always as useful.

I have a good compass on the pedestal, but I prefer to steer using the direction of the swell and wind as my guide, rather than looking at the compass all the time. It's a bit of a knack, but pretty easy with practice.

I would like a knot-meter though, it would be useful for dead-reckoning and working out the speed of the current etc. I made an old-timey version though, just in case, (a stick on a knotted line) but have never used it.
Old 26-05-2020, 02:48   #837

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
I would be more than willing, and I do think qualified, to provide you a reference in that regard.

Kimo
Marooned on Maui
Cheers

Given the passages I have made, it's a reasonable testament to my seamanship, or luck
Though I prefer to rely on the former, as the latter is fickle
Old 26-05-2020, 05:51   #838

We carry full paper charts for the areas we cruise as well as electronic. Unfortunately paper charts are out of date almost before they are printed. I see very few people going through the painstakingly long process of manually updating all their paper charts every few weeks to make all the changes that are done by the fancy thinking engines on modern electronic chartplotting devices in the matter of minutes or even seconds with fast broadband downloads when available.

I have to laugh at the folks who keep bringing up this ancient hokum about paper charts being infallible and electronics not being reliable. We have a half dozen electronic devices onboard that are capable of displaying charts, with or without a GPS signal, and most are not dependant on the boat's electrical system. None of them absolutely require a GPS signal any more than a paper chart requires a GPS signal if one can find a fix using traditional means.
Old 26-05-2020, 05:53   #839
smj

Quote:

Kimo

Marooned on Maui

Seems as if the newer cruisers spend more time looking at their screens than they do at their natural surroundings, and at some point itís going to bite them in the ass.
Old 26-05-2020, 06:04   #840

Maybe automobiles should remove the speedometers and other gauges from their dashboards because some people can't stop staring at them instead of watching the road.

People in the cruising community have all sorts of different experience and comfort levels. Some travel 5-6k every year, others spend all their time tied on a mooring ball or dock and never go anywhere. It takes all types. People should find out what kind of "sailor" they really are and learn to accept it. Move on, or not...as the case may be.
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard