Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2018, 04:11   #481

Boat: Plan Joubert 21
Send a message via Skype™ to ProjectManaia
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

I have spent 8 years working aboard rainbow warrior for greenpeace and a lot of hard work to save up for the boat(s).
However we are also runing a youtube channel in an attempt to earn so ething on patreon or youtube direct, but not succesfull enough so i keep going back to work 6 months a year....
Latest release here:
https://youtu.be/XZEkIFS5NKc
Old 02-01-2018, 04:47   #482

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
I would guess the catamaran manufacturer felt this was good advertising. The young couple will now just have to tell us how "vastly superior" the catamaran design is. Well....a million dollar sailboat would have also been a large upgrade.

Catamaran is a nice design in many ways. I see two problems for the normal, global sailor:
1) Price
2) Good luck if it winds up upside down.

This may, or may not, have a happy ending. Being on a million dollar catamaran may wind up in a large loss in viewership. Conversely, it could wind up in numerous catamaran sales. Perhaps both.

EDIT: Can't help but wonder if the gift would have been made without the drop dead beauty of the young lady. Perhaps.....200,000 viewers is a lot.

It wasn't a gift. There were several references to a finance deal. They are currently getting some $12,000 a week from patron alone. Ah well...
Old 02-01-2018, 04:47   #483

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Sounds interesting.

Don't Greenpeace have terrorists and pirates in their ranks, hijacking cargo ships (one carrying VW cars springs to mind), trains, and breaking into power plants.

I'm sure the vast majority are good law-abiding citizens though campaigning for good causes.

Anyway, back on topic.

I noticed that in La Vagabonde, they were at a marina in Sardinia, another in Sicily, using town quays mostly in Greece, and stayed in a marina in Malta. There are anchorages in all these places (less in Sicily but still), so it seems they've gone for a change in lifestyle (at least in Europe) on the new boat.

They also seem to feel the need to constantly dive on their anchor, as if they don't trust it or something. Sure it's good to check on it (sometimes I take the dinghy out and take a look at it), but they seem a little excessive/paranoid.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:50   #484
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

LaVaga was one of the first YouTube sailing shows we ever watched a few years back when it first came out. As their story progressed we became less and less interested in what they were doing since it no longer seemed to be about what we wanted to do or was within our own reach. So it just didn't relate to us any longer at time went on, and we stopped watching soon after they moved onto their new glitzy whizbang gazillion dollar multi-hull superyacht recording studio.

I just miss the way the show was a couple of years back before they got famous, and were just a couple of kids trying to make it on a shoestring budget sailing across oceans and visiting strange places. But I think it is great that they have the funding now to be able to live their own dream the way they want to live it now on their own terms. I just hope that is really what they got, and don't feel trapped instead in their own celebrity and expensive commitments.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:16   #485

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectManaia View Post
I have spent 8 years working aboard rainbow warrior for greenpeace and a lot of hard work to save up for the boat(s).
However we are also runing a youtube channel in an attempt to earn so ething on patreon or youtube direct, but not succesfull enough so i keep going back to work 6 months a year....
Latest release here:
https://youtu.be/XZEkIFS5NKc
I did give your youtube channel , "projectmanaia" , a mention on here a while back ( maybe on a different thread ) tho got no response, I guess the general cruising / sailing / forum / voyaging / vouyerist patreon donating membership is more interested in bums, tits and bikinis than the plastic pollution of the oceans , the threat to wild life and its habitat or other general environmental issues.
Sorry to see you ditch the catamaran tho congratulations on a very nice Bruce Roberts. good luck to yourselves and to Greenpeace..
Old 04-01-2018, 19:23   #486

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
LaVaga was one of the first YouTube sailing shows we ever watched a few years back when it first..
Greetings everyone!
I came across this thread whilst researching sailing related youtube channels.

Like yourselves, I've been watching quite a few youtube channels & much prefer them when they have just started. I find it quite interesting to watch those who are struggling for money & seeing how they grow and how their sailing improves etc.
I do agree that some of the bigger channels get a little tiring to watch & much prefer smaller channels - despite as happy and inspired as I am for those who went from being small to big channels.

Anyway, during my research I came across a couple of interesting youtube channels of people who had just started sailing. There was one channel in particular that caught my interest. They are a young couple who had just recently bought a.. (correct me if I'm wrong) 20ft Trailer Sailer. They are teaching themselves to sail on it & then their plan is to start of by sailing around New Zealand. The part I found most interesting about this is that they supposedly are thinking of sailing from Wellington up North (which is a two day passage with rough sea.. on a trailer sailer). Don't get me wrong I admire their determination but you wouldn't catch me doing that!
Their Youtube channel is 'WorldsCorner'. Like myself, you might find them quite interesting to watch.

Nick
Old 04-01-2018, 23:46   #487

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
LaVaga was one of the first YouTube sailing shows we ever watched a few years back when it first came out. As their story progressed we became less and less interested in what they were doing since it no longer seemed to be about what we wanted to do or was within our own reach. So it just didn't relate to us any longer at time went on, and we stopped watching soon after they moved onto their new glitzy whizbang gazillion dollar multi-hull superyacht recording studio.

I just miss the way the show was a couple of years back before they got famous, and were just a couple of kids trying to make it on a shoestring budget sailing across oceans and visiting strange places. But I think it is great that they have the funding now to be able to live their own dream the way they want to live it now on their own terms. I just hope that is really what they got, and don't feel trapped instead in their own celebrity and expensive commitments.
Well the LaVaga becomes more an more a "charter like business" for random patreons excursions. So of course they have to go to marinas to pickup and drop their weekly changing guests and to upload the videos. This is all hard work for funding what they are doing, I doubt the fun part of adventure and freedom of cruising has gone and been replaced by tough schedules and business.

They look more and more like routine guests skipper / tour guides. The excitement, fun and the flashing in their eyes from the first seasons has faded away a lot, also Alina's musician career seems to have been buried in daily duties. I hope they still enjoy what they are doing and find some private moments between the shots and the entertaining of the patreons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Sounds interesting.

Don't Greenpeace have terrorists and pirates in their ranks, hijacking cargo ships (one carrying VW cars springs to mind), trains, and breaking into power plants.

I'm sure the vast majority are good law-abiding citizens though campaigning for good causes.

Anyway, back on topic.

I noticed that in La Vagabonde, they were at a marina in Sardinia, another in Sicily, using town quays mostly in Greece, and stayed in a marina in Malta. There are anchorages in all these places (less in Sicily but still), so it seems they've gone for a change in lifestyle (at least in Europe) on the new boat.

They also seem to feel the need to constantly dive on their anchor, as if they don't trust it or something. Sure it's good to check on it (sometimes I take the dinghy out and take a look at it), but they seem a little excessive/paranoid.
Well the diving part probably attracts male and female viewers to stay subscribed to the channel. And the sea life is sometimes not that exciting in the MED compared to the coral reefs elsewhere in the world, so anchor diving is a kind of replacement for stingrays and coral fish. Who wants to watch jelly-fish?
Old 06-01-2018, 16:01   #488

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

SLV should be a separate thread. Anyway, my opinion is, if you liked them before they got the catamaran, then you should like them after as well…they have not changed much. What changed was the third person with them doing the filming…he did not fit.

The guests or patrons…some don’t fit either.

Riley and Elayna should go back to just the two of them.
Old 07-01-2018, 22:54   #489

I think it's the Patreon thing.

Most Vlogs, that try to monetize with Patreon, become boring. It's the duty to provide something on a regular weekly base to get the money and keep the sponsors happy. So it becomes a full-time job and the fun is over.

Its not just the Vaga, same with the Wynns and many others. I do like the people behind, but the videos become more and more boring.

Sorry guys. It's a difference if you are excited about something and tape it to share it with the world or if you have to provide some footage for food every week. I suggest to all vloggers out there to get a weekend off and watch their last 10 contributions in a session. If you still think there is something exciting and informative, keep doing it, if you fall asleep and see every time the same pattern: long intro, dinghi out with guests, provisioning, visiting random trees, raining, dinghi back, diving, sunset, sundowner, thanking patreons and inviting new guests.

So there is non-event footage, nothing interesting happens worth sharing it with the rest of the world.

The challenges, the fails and successes, the hard work are almost not covered. Take the Wynns: things break on board, they needed to weld some bimini supports (when happened this and why), they break their inverter - what happened? they screw up a lithium battery bank and many more stuff behind the scenes. Jason was quite busy fixing stuff. I guess this products are sponsored some how and they try to get replacements, so detailed reports on fails are not welcome at all.
Old 07-01-2018, 23:37   #490

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
I think it's the Patreon thing.

Most Vlogs, that try to monetize with Patreon, become boring. It's the duty to provide something on a regular weekly base to get the money and keep the sponsors happy. So it becomes a full-time job and the fun is over.

Its not just the Vaga, same with the Wynns and many others. I do like the people behind, but the videos become more and more boring.

Sorry guys. It's a difference if you are excited about something and tape it to share it with the world or if you have to provide some footage for food every week. I suggest to all vloggers out there to get a weekend off and watch their last 10 contributions in a session. If you still think there is something exciting and informative, keep doing it, if you fall asleep and see every time the same pattern: long intro, dinghi out with guests, provisioning, visiting random trees, raining, dinghi back, diving, sunset, sundowner, thanking patreons and inviting new guests.

So there is non-event footage, nothing interesting happens worth sharing it with the rest of the world.

The challenges, the fails and successes, the hard work are almost not covered. Take the Wynns: things break on board, they needed to weld some bimini supports (when happened this and why), they break their inverter - what happened? they screw up a lithium battery bank and many more stuff behind the scenes. Jason was quite busy fixing stuff. I guess this products are sponsored some how and they try to get replacements, so detailed reports on fails are not welcome at all.
They don't have to do anything weekly on Pateron. Payment is via output, so people could easily release a video per month if they so wished. The problem with that would be the difficulty in uploading longer videos in third world and developing countries, hell even some developed countries have crappy internet speeds.

The Wynns damaged a single battery, IIRC. They said they were going to produce a video explaining some things anyway. Sponsorship may or may not make a difference. I think the Wynns have been good at pointing out the downsides of products they use.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:40   #491

eg, the broken battery, maybe just that they don't find it very interesting so don't imagine that anyone else is interested in the minute details of why and how,, problem is some of them , nice enough people as individuals , the vids are turning into little travel shows ( / blogs ) with the boats just as a means of travel,, ok that might suit some viewers and ( more importantly ? ) the donators , ( i am sure they know their targeted " market " very well. Currently been watching " sailing with JAEKA " a French bloke with his Ukranian bird on their benneton, very good with minimum provisioning and diving scenes, all about the sailing and just a little about interesting aspects of where they stop over.... re the frequency of posting, i also recently enjoying " endless summer " who post almost every bloody day !! but still fun and enjoyable, like wise " nutshell "... everyone to their own . I notice on here that someone found it interesting enough to post about one young beautiful female " star " visiting and sailing with another well known young beautiful " star ",, if that is what rocks their boat then so be it . looks like it is getting a bit busy down in cocoanut grove with , i think , 4 vlogers in the same bar the other day, ( Seadog, RAN, Uma, can remember other ones )
Old 08-01-2018, 02:41   #492

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Your potential audience (therefore income) for a travel blog is much larger than the subset of sailing enthusiasts. This is why the material trends towards that and away from fixing things. I only enjoy a couple of vloggers and the ones I do tend to do a good job of mixing in some of the day to day "work" on the boat but I realize I'm a minority in wanting to see that.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:46   #493

It's about story telling...

If there is no story to tell or the same story repeats weekly like the "Groundhog day" probably you'll loose some audience on the way...
Old 08-01-2018, 03:21   #494

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
Your potential audience (therefore income) for a travel blog is much larger than the subset of sailing enthusiasts. This is why the material trends towards that and away from fixing things. I only enjoy a couple of vloggers and the ones I do tend to do a good job of mixing in some of the day to day "work" on the boat but I realize I'm a minority in wanting to see that.
i am not quite sure just how small your " minority " actually is, when you consider that manys' ( most / all on here ? ) initial attraction to these vbloggers was throo our interest in the boats, not the travel aspect or the gazing on beautiful female "stars", the star should not be the beautiful presenter ( beautiful interesting and personable as many of them are ), nor the provisioning super market, nor the local cathedral, the mountain etc, it should be the boat , that is what brought most of us here in the first place. in some of these episodes the boat is only seen briefly at the beginning when disembarking into the dingy for a days sightseeing and again at the end when returning. i know they know their market but we ( well not me personally as i do not give ) are the market we should dictate the product not the product dictate the market.. if people want travelling blogs then there are a plenty plenty to go watch..
Old 08-01-2018, 04:43   #495

Well it's the choice of the vlogger what content he / she is willing to provide and of the user what content to watch / subscribe or unsubscribe.

I have unsubscribed some youtube streams when they become boring or run in a direction I am not interested in - and if I can do it - you probably would can too...

Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard