Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2017, 13:50   #451

Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
I guess it's a phase that the social internet is going through - at which point do all the 'had a dream, bought a boat, going sailing around the world to inspire others' patreon grabs go stale?

A new couple on youtube just showed up today - Inspire Sailing. A young couple who have never sailed before (other than a beach catamaran for him). They are from NZ and have bought themselves a Lagoon 420 in Spain. They've flown over and without any hesitation left the marina and are heading west in the Med with plans to cross the Atlantic soon. Home movie quality videos (yes, I did watch them) and apparently at least one patreon already! So people are willing to pay, and I'm guessing it's not always (or even usually?) about the content. Though they have cracked the YouTube code and are showing plenty of shots of her in a skimpy bikini doing stuff around the boat.

Is this what it's like now - "Just Do It" (apparently most successful branding ever)? Even something like sailing across an ocean with no experience and no knowledge of what it takes? All good when things go well, and I guess that's the challenge of YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, etc, in that the lives that those platforms portray have very little to do with real life even when they are purporting to show reality.

How often are even the experienced posters (Delos for example) showing the **** hitting the fan? Nighttime squalls, boats dragging anchors, gear breaking, heck, even passage planning so that they don't hit reefs? Almost never. It's all sunshine and sprinkles and unicorns.

All I can think, "you don't know what you don't know", and it doesn't lower the risk to not have a plan to find out about the unknowns. That's true for all of us, but has greater consequences for the newbies.

I used to do a lot of mountaineering, and in that community the exact same discussions go on about the "new way" that only needs desire and sees no need for apprenticeship.

Hence, I'm a bit jaundiced about stories like the L47 that ran itself onto a reef due to the skipper not knowing what he was doing, then blaming it on the chart presentation. Awful at a human level for the people involved and their loved ones back home, but entirely predictable in general risk terms.

A counter example is Gone with the Wynns (I'm not sure there are any others) - they're super conservative and their plan includes learning before they jump. I guess they have to retain their insurance coverage as I believe they've financed their boat. Though we breathed a sigh of relief when they finally cut the apron strings and set course for Panama, after months and months and months of Florida-Bahamas-Florida-Bahamas etc.
Delos has posted videos of passage planning, weather planning, crap hitting the fan with bad weather and destroyed sails as well as auto pilots failing. And Delos recently posted about a theif that boarded them at night. Cat Impi has posted videos of weather challenges and route planning, visa challenges trying to extend a stay in New Zealand, equipment faliures. La Vagabonde posted lots about the challenges of electronic failures on the old boat. There are others out there as well.
Old 06-08-2017, 15:14   #452

TBH , I find most of them a bit boring now , still watch the wynns , vagy ,fish and salty , the rest are just a travel show
Old 06-08-2017, 15:16   #453

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyman1122 View Post
Delos has posted videos of passage planning, weather planning, crap hitting the fan with bad weather and destroyed sails as well as auto pilots failing. And Delos recently posted about a theif that boarded them at night. Cat Impi has posted videos of weather challenges and route planning, visa challenges trying to extend a stay in New Zealand, equipment faliures. La Vagabonde posted lots about the challenges of electronic failures on the old boat. There are others out there as well.

Out of the thousands of videos, there are likely less than 100 that show hard times. Understandably, as without a professional camera crew how do you get footage of emergencies? The bigger point is that virtually none of the videos you mention show the level of knowledge and experience needed to overcome the challenges pictured. So the novice viewer goes 'OK, that doesn't seem too hard, and besides it hardly ever happens'.

My main point is that social media portrays reality as much more positive than real life (surely you've heard of the Facebook effect?). The question I have is whether it makes ocean cruising look like it's something for anyone, without needing a deep body of knowledge and training to be safer? Maybe that's true and I'm a curmudgeon?
Old 06-08-2017, 15:37   #454

TBH trickxy , i don't think it is rocket science , just need a modicum of intelligence , an ability to learn ( sometimes quickly ) and enough intelligence to give a wide bearth to any unknown ( or known !!! ) hazards .
Old 06-08-2017, 15:42   #455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
TBH , I find most of them a bit boring now , still watch the wynns , vagy ,fish and salty , the rest are just a travel show

Lucky fish is plain funny and wins with the personality of the skipper.

La Vagabonde has lost its 2 kids having an adventure vibe and the O45 videos are starting to look like a marketing business. No thanks.

I was almost done with the Wynns, then they set sail for Panama. I really hope to see both of them without product in their hair now.
Old 06-08-2017, 15:49   #456

So sor , "'salty " should have read " old sea dog " , nice down to earth boat orientated blog .
Old 06-08-2017, 16:28   #457

Boat: Allied Princess 36

Have watched a few episodes of several of them. Just the Wynns laundry cost for their designer clothes clothes would do me in. Not to mention their big screen navigation. They are all ok and give me a list of places to see so serve a purpose
Old 06-08-2017, 18:06   #458

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

Quote:
Guess I missed the humour. Must be a Canadian thing to appreciate the efforts of others.
Are you kidding? Canadians are known for their barbarism. I mean, look at this:
Old 06-08-2017, 18:13   #459

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

There sure are a lot of sailing channels. Last I checked, only two were living comfortably off of their Patreon proceeds. Considering how hard they work on their videos, I think their success is well earned. More power to them.

Having been a photographer and videographer, I have considered procuring a bikini clad crew and having a whack at it. Afraid that I might toss them overboard though...j/k.

Seriously though....I am a long way from being able to cruise. Still drying out the bottom of my 26' learner sailboat. Lots of small blisters but coming along nicely though slowly.
Old 06-08-2017, 21:01   #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
Are you kidding? Canadians are known for their barbarism. I mean, look at this:
Yup, we Canadians are a harsh bunch. Throwin around those pleases and thank you like four letter words. Using hard nasty curses like "I am so disappointed in you" and of course the cruel "Eh".
Old 06-08-2017, 21:03   #461

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Out of the thousands of videos, there are likely less than 100 that show hard times. Understandably, as without a professional camera crew how do you get footage of emergencies? The bigger point is that virtually none of the videos you mention show the level of knowledge and experience needed to overcome the challenges pictured. So the novice viewer goes 'OK, that doesn't seem too hard, and besides it hardly ever happens'.

My main point is that social media portrays reality as much more positive than real life (surely you've heard of the Facebook effect?). The question I have is whether it makes ocean cruising look like it's something for anyone, without needing a deep body of knowledge and training to be safer? Maybe that's true and I'm a curmudgeon?
When the crap is hitting the fan, it gets dealt with first. Picking up a camera to record it is and should be the last then on their minds.

And all those I mentioned previously have posted about the challenges of weather and route planning. Maybe look at the Delos videos of crossing the Indian ocean, both times. The almost knock down , the having to go deeper south to avoid bad weather, the leaving atolls before bad weather hits. Or routing planning to Panama by the Wynns or Cat Impi. Or look at Out Casing Stars to learn of experience gained long before they set out on Transatlantic passage.

I made the point in another thread or maybe this one about no MOB drills or planning. The point made back is that just because they don't choose to show them doesn't mean it doesn't happen and that's a fair point.
Old 06-08-2017, 21:21   #462

Quote:
When the crap is hitting the fan, it gets dealt with first. Picking up a camera to record it is and should be the last then on their minds.

And all those I mentioned previously have posted about the challenges of weather and route planning. Maybe look at the Delos videos of crossing the Indian ocean, both times. The almost knock down , the having to go deeper south to avoid bad weather, the leaving atolls before bad weather hits. Or routing planning to Panama by the Wynns or Cat Impi. Or look at Out Casing Stars to learn of experience gained long before they set out on Transatlantic passage.

I made the point in another thread or maybe this one about no MOB drills or planning. The point made back is that just because they don't choose to show them doesn't mean it doesn't happen and that's a fair point.

I've seen those and my point is that they're rare and outweighed by the rest. And the point that just because it's not shown doesn't mean it didn't happen is absolutely true. But that's the whole point of the Facebook effect in social media. So you get people emulating their vlog heroes and not knowing what they don't know.

Remember the early La Vagabonde video of Elayna playing around all over the boat while Riley was sleeping - no harness, no pfd, middle of an ocean? Viewers loved her, and almost nobody mentioned the mob risk. So why would a newbie think of mob risk?
Old 07-08-2017, 01:47   #463

Quote:
Yup, we Canadians are a harsh bunch. Throwin around those pleases and thank you like four letter words. Using hard nasty curses like "I am so disappointed in you" and of course the cruel "Eh".
Just goes to show there are rotten apples everywhere !!
Old 07-08-2017, 03:49   #464

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseParrot View Post
I would like to say "Gone with the Wynns" gives poor advice in general, has advised people to break other countries work visa laws and spews out whatever in order to create content and I won't watch them and I encourage other not to watch either as there is plenty of good channels to watch

Really? Can you give some examples?

RAN sailing captain has more sailing cred than just about anyone posting on this board. Multiple ocean crossings and months in Antarctica.

My newest fav is "sailing nervous". The production quality is not National Geographic but I don't care. I particularly like how they have done their thing at their own pace and in their own time. They have learned a lot on their way and are developing their skills. Great Kudos to them.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:47   #465

Boat: Cheoy Lee Luders 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
There sure are a lot of sailing channels. Last I checked, only two were living comfortably off of their Patreon proceeds. Considering how hard they work on their videos, I think their success is well earned. More power to them.
Check again. Maybe only two making big bank, but quite a few in the $400-2000 per month range....which can definitely help a cruising budget.
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard